Winchester 1300 recoil issues

PDA

ShootALot523
September 17, 2009, 11:27 PM
I have a 4 year old Winchester model 1300 with a rifled slug barrel, synthetic stock. This gun kicks your ass at the range, compared to my 1187 and my moss 500. The Remington has a better recoil pad and the moss 500 is ported. I'd like to reduce the recoil just a bit. My thoughts are:
1) New recoil pad
2) Port the barrel

ANY OTHER IDEAS to reduce recoil?

Also trying to find a new rifle sight for it. I currently have Williams fire sights, but would like something a little thicker/bigger.

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester 1300 recoil issues" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tim the student
September 17, 2009, 11:29 PM
Don't shoot huge slugs. 2 3/4 slugs are fine for anything, IMO.

If you are shooting 2 3/4 slugs, have you tried a few?

TX1911fan
September 18, 2009, 12:50 AM
What are you using it for? If you already have one ported shotgun that can handle the heavy stuff, why do you need another? I'd keep this as is and use it for a different purpose. Ported barrels are hell on other people at the range because of the noise. If you intend to use it for bird hunting, that's even worse. I'd put a different recoil pad on it and leave it at that.

I have the same gun, and my 14 year old daughter shoots skeet with it and handles it just fine.

Tim the student
September 18, 2009, 12:58 AM
I have a 4 year old Winchester model 1300 with a rifled slug barrel

If he's using it for skeet, there are other issues at hand.

RSVP2RIP
September 18, 2009, 09:52 AM
Go with a new recoil pad. The ones on the 1300 are bargin basement stuff. A good Pachmahyer Decelerator fitted to it will take the sting out. Limbsaver is another option. Talk to you gunsmith...sounds like a pharmacutical comercial:)

snooperman
September 18, 2009, 10:45 AM
Buy a knoxx stock and your problem will be solved, as it will feel like the Rem. 1100.

Fred Fuller
September 18, 2009, 11:10 AM
Likely culprits IMHO are two:

1) Overall weight. I'd suspect the Win 1300 is lighter than the others- I just got one (22" rifle sighted smoothbore barrel) for $150 because the previous owner got tired of getting his teeth kicked loose.

2) Proper fit. Every shotgun design differs from all others in subtle ways, and some designs just seem to fit some shooters better than they do others. Thus the old pharts here harp endlessly to "try before you buy" to the neophytes who are asking advice about buying their first shorgun.

So, solutions. If it's a matter of weight- just add some. A magazine extension might help out front, while a sturdy container of birdshot glued into the void in the stock might be a good balance. If there's a void under the pistol grip cap, like there was on my FN Police Pump, just fill that up with birdshot and don't worry about the stock void- unless you need to add yet more weight.

If it's a matter if fit, then likely the synthetic stock is going to be an issue. I find wooden furniture easier to modify, but there are some possibilities with synthetics too, depending.

Getting 'on' the rifle sights might be causing you to lift your cheek off the stock a bit, which might have something to do with your getting belted. So add the equivalent of a rifle's cheekpiece to the stock, till you can find out if that works for you. An old mouse pad, some moleskin and some elastic (Ace bandage etc) will do for initial experiments, till you find out if it actually helps or not and how thick it needs to be. Then you can look at a dressier solution- there are aftermarket commercial stick-on cheek pieces available.

As for porting- forget it. It won't help with recoil very much if at all, and it will likely only make the gun louder.

As to a better recoil pad, that's definitely a thought in the right direction. A premium recoil pad might make a lot of difference in perceived recoil. A new super squishy pad helps out a lot of people- Remington's SuperCell or R3, Limbsaver, KickEez, etc.

hth,

lpl

oneounceload
September 18, 2009, 02:32 PM
The ONLY reason a cheek gets the snot beat out of it from a shotgun is that the stock does NOT fit properly....doesn't matter if you shoot light target loads or maxed out slugs....if it fits, your cheek will not get beat up. Now - there is more to stock fit than LOP; there is proper cast - on or off, drop at comb, drop at heel, toe in or out, how much toe in or out, cast at toe and heel............a shotgun is meant to be brought to shoulder and fired instantly......which is why fit is so critical.....and when it doesn't, it will slap you naked and hide your clothes.......

scythefwd
September 18, 2009, 06:18 PM
I'm apt to agree with Lee on this. Make sure your stock fits you. I have a mossberg that will kick my teeth in if I try to shoot rifled slugs out of my smooth bore barrel while I have my raised comb on it. I have to get my head way to low on the comb and I'm just out of position to use the bead sights. On the rifled barrel, I the raised comb lets me shoot without any unpleasant kick because my scope is a lot higher above the bore than the beads. When I shoot with the beads, I have to use the low cheek piece insert instead of the high. Purely anecdotal, but it is what I have observed. If you are using raised sights, that sit a bit higher than the beads, I would add to the comb... the inverse is also true.

Milkmaster
September 18, 2009, 07:03 PM
Proper fit would be the first goal. The second goal that worked for me and my 1300 was to add some weight. The 1300 is indeed a little lighter than the others. I added a little weight inside the magazine and inside the stock. That helped miine out a great deal.

One note...You should not compare that 1300 to a gas opreated semi-auto like the 1100. I don't know a pump that will have less recoil than a good gas gun. Those are two different animals:)

Have fun!

JVoutilainen
September 18, 2009, 07:41 PM
I've had the same problem. My solution was/is to practice with wimpier loads :).

What is even worse for some reason the stock on my 1300 keeps drifting slowly to the right. I took the weapon to a gunsmith who "fixed" the problem... but I think it is still drifting little by little.

oneounceload
September 18, 2009, 07:51 PM
I also wouldn't bother porting the barrel - it doesn't do much, if anything, for recoil, and only a minimum for muzzle rise. Get a good pad on a stock that fits - that works

litman252
September 18, 2009, 11:49 PM
While I'm in the minority on this, the 1300 kicks like HECK compared to any thing. I have 2, both black shadows and we have an agreement..... Nice to carry, easy to hit target with and it gets to pound my shoulder. I thought all slug guns were this way then I shot my Dad's 500, that felt like a 22...... Yest it's heavier and all but the 1300 seems to kick more by design.......

Tony

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester 1300 recoil issues" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!