S&W K-22, date of manu.?

PDA

Chilidog
October 31, 2003, 09:22 AM
Hello THR subscribers:
Back from a long silence since TFL days. I recently bought a K-22 with SN 688xx. Request assistance in checking approximate DOB. Inquiring minds also wonder when this model was superceded by M-17. Thanks in advance. Really pleased this forum exists to carry forward good work of its predecessor. Thank you Oleg and all!

Good shootin'
dog

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W K-22, date of manu.?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hutch
October 31, 2003, 12:00 PM
'Dawg, look for some sort of alpha prefix ahead of your S/N. Or, look on the butt of the gun, not under the crane for the S/N. I don't have my Standard Catalog of S &W (SCOSW) with me, but the S/N you are giving predates the K22, IIRC. By a considerable margin. As in, made during the Roosevelt presidency. The first one.

Edited to answer the second Q: Model numbers were adopted in 1957 thru-out the whole S&W line.

Chilidog
October 31, 2003, 12:26 PM
Thanks Hutch, I left out the K prefix.

Old Fuff
October 31, 2003, 05:17 PM
Seems like it was made in 1948. Serial number range: K 18732 to K 73121

Model 17's start in 1957.

Chilidog
November 2, 2003, 08:23 AM
Many thanks Ol' Fuff, seems my K22 & I share a birthyear.

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W K-22, date of manu.?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!