How many actually carry after permit arrives?

PDA

Mousegun
September 18, 2009, 06:26 PM
In the last year or so there has been a tremendous increase in carry permits issued throughout the country. I have yet to figure out why:evil: but that seems to be the trend.

I have personally trained and instructed about 10 people (friends) after they came to me and asked for assistance in obtaining their permit. I took time and was extremely careful to give them as much proper information as I could and emphasized the awesome responsibility they were undertaking.

Of the 10, only one actually carries on a regular basis. The others have their firearm taking up space in a drawer and here in Tennessee, when we got restaurant that serves alcohol carry (if the carrier is not doing ANY drinking as it should be), a good 7 of the 10 are opposed to that law.

Please don't flame me by saying my training was lacking, it wasn't, but how many of you know a good number of either new or seasoned carry permit holders that just don't, for the most part, take it along.

I got the feeling that a lot of people got their permit because they thought it may not be possible to get at some near time in the future and not because they chose to become the master of their own self protection.

Thoughts???

If you enjoyed reading about "How many actually carry after permit arrives?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HardShell
September 18, 2009, 06:27 PM
I got my permit 25 years ago and still carry every day. YMMV.

But, I must admit, I've known a lot of people over the years who carried at first and slacked off with time... probably a pretty common thing.

Gamera
September 18, 2009, 06:28 PM
Someone in my family has a carry permit, but he never carries. He "just thought it would be a good thing to have". I, on the other hand, carry as much as possible.

Erik M
September 18, 2009, 06:28 PM
KY law allows you to carry in the glovebox of your vehicle without a permit. Now that I have my cdwl I keep a weapon on my person the majority of the time.

HK G3
September 18, 2009, 06:29 PM
I tend to OC way more than CC even after I got my permit.

The main thing I use the permit for is with my car, where I'll stick the gun in the center console while driving.

We just passed restaurant/bar carry, so I'm probably going to start CCing a lot more on the 30th and onward.

sherman123
September 18, 2009, 06:32 PM
I've carried every day since my permit arrived in the mail almost two years now.

Geno
September 18, 2009, 06:33 PM
24/7 where lawful.

ejfalvo
September 18, 2009, 06:55 PM
I carry every time I leave the house, either the XD 40 Subcompact or the LCP.

ColtraneM3
September 18, 2009, 06:57 PM
When I get mine, I plan to carry all the time. I don't see any reason not to, in fact, it almost seems silly not to.

CnRnut
September 18, 2009, 06:58 PM
24/7 where lawful,for the last 21 years.

1911swacp
September 18, 2009, 07:03 PM
The first couple of year I did not carry all the time. Till I found a holster that work for me and my 1911. Now I carry any time I have pants on.

HexHead
September 18, 2009, 07:05 PM
Well, my wife for one. She just doesn't feel comfortable carrying yet. I have to admit, when I first got my permit 9 years ago, I was slow to carry on a regular basis. Her reasoning, is when she's not at work, she's with me generally and I'm carrying, so she feels safe. And she can't carry at work.

One of the reasons she got her permit, was a couple of years ago I got hurt in another state and had to be hospitalized and then flown home. She had to fly to where I was and drive my car with my pistol in it home. In a similar scenario again, at least she'd be legal.

Avenger29
I carry when legal. Unfortunately, I spend a lot of my time at my university or at work, and carrying at either is a felony.

jfh
I'm like Geno. Just not when I'm sleeping.

Personally, I ascribe the vastly-increased permit phenomena to an awakening, of sorts, by that segment of the general public who are neither 'gunnies' nor tremendously committed to self-defense, but who have finally understood they may well be responsible for their own safety--particularly in these troubled economic times.

Further, they may or not be "liberal," but they probably identify the Democrat Party as the ones of registration, gun control, and possible confiscation. Add all this up--and you have an awful lot of people thinking they can get in before the lock, so to speak.

Do any of these characteristics sound like your students, Mousegun?

And I note that, in your post, you chose to emphasize that "awesome responsibility" for carry-ers. Overemphasizing that may well have deterred some, if that is what you really did.

Jim H.

zombienerd
I'd say 24/7 since I got my permit, but I leave the country a lot.. I also sleep.

But when I'm the US... it's always on me where lawful.

Glockman17366
September 18, 2009, 07:11 PM
I don't carry every day (work prohibits it), but unless I'm at work, there's a firearm in close proximaty...including the rides to and from work.

THE DARK KNIGHT
September 18, 2009, 07:13 PM
Here, tell me which problem you'd rather have:

Tennesse: Lots of people getting gun permits but not really carrying often.

NJ: Lots of people being completely opposed to guns and horrified at the suggestion of someone besides a cop carrying a gun.

Mousegun
September 18, 2009, 07:42 PM
Here, tell me which problem you'd rather have:

Tennesse: Lots of people getting gun permits but not really carrying often.

NJ: Lots of people being completely opposed to guns and horrified at the suggestion of someone besides a cop carrying a gun.

Ack-chew-a-lee I had both problems. I lived in PRNJ for 25 years before moving to Tennessee. I found that problems are relative in that when in N.J. I accepted most people being opposed to guns as a way of life there even though I belonged to an active club and was around gun owners a lot.

Here in Tennessee where gun ownership is more accepted there are still a lot of northerners that have moved to my area and I sometimes feel that I did better in N.J. after talking to them. We here still have quite a way to go when it comes to our gun laws. There are many places we can't carry. All it takes is a sign and if caught it is a fine and possible jail time. In many other southern states the sign doesn't hold any weight unless you refuse when asked to leave a premises.

Mousegun
September 18, 2009, 07:51 PM
And I note that, in your post, you chose to emphasize that "awesome responsibility" for carry-ers. Overemphasizing that may well have deterred some, if that is what you really did.

It was not overemphasized but it was stated and if that was the deterring factor then I can't honestly believe that the person hearing the statement is ready for carrying.

Thinking of carrying a weapon as an "awesome responsibility" is just one way of separating a truly responsible person from one that someday may make it bad for all of us. There are of course, many others.

I do understand your point and it is well taken. If the statement was beat to death it could have its consequences.

trigun87
September 18, 2009, 07:54 PM
Got my permit in august and have carried every day. With the lcp and the g26, no reason not to.

mcdonl
September 18, 2009, 08:09 PM
Everyday everywhere I can.

GBExpat
September 18, 2009, 08:28 PM
When I acquired my most recent series of VA CHPs I rarely carried (I have been licensed in the Commonwealth, on & off, since the '70s so I was not new to the "priviledge"). My original intention was to be legal whenever I felt the need to carry and also cover my glovebox pistols.

Since then, social conditions seem to have gotten worse in the greater NVA area, so I started to carry all of the time. It helped that I discovered a great little carry pistol (Kel-Tec PF9) that nicely in the back pocket of my 501s. :)

Tamlin
September 18, 2009, 09:08 PM
Got mine in early 2001 (pre-9/11) in AZ and carried about 50% of the time. Now I live in CA and can't get a permit - ^&#$@!!!!

MountainBear
September 18, 2009, 09:34 PM
First time I got my permit, I carried when I felt like it. Always on road trips and things like that, but it wasn't part of my everyday habit. Then I moved and let it expire. I just renewed it earlier this year and have since started packing every day.

I suppose this is due to a couple of factors. First is that I didn't have a gun and holster combination that was comfortable to wear all the time (this has since been rectified). Second, I just didn't see the need. Lately with all the shootings and other vile happenings in very public places, I just feel better. Better to have it an not need it then need it and not have it I suppose.

Deanimator
September 18, 2009, 09:46 PM
I got my Ohio CHL and carried the very next day.

I carry nearly every day, and carry everywhere it's legal to do so.

I got my CHL because NOBODY is going to "protect" me, but ME. Anybody who claims otherwise is a liar, and if I believed them, I'd be a fool.

Tacbandit
September 18, 2009, 09:51 PM
For the better part of the last 20 or so years...Always, except for occasional visits to military installations...They seem to frown upon such things...That calls for plan "B", on those occasions...Other than that, it's usually Mr. Kimber, or Mr. Glock as my trusty companion...

Dr. Fresh
September 18, 2009, 09:53 PM
Right after I got my permit, I went out to my car and loaded my pistol. I haven't looked back. I carry anywhere and everywhere legal, provided I am not drinking.

Dutchman01
September 18, 2009, 10:01 PM
I actually didn't intend to carry. I got my chp so I could carry a loaded pistol in my jeep. I also knew Little Rock police routinely take firearms from law abiding people even when it's lawful to have an unloaded pistol in their vehicles. I don't go there often but Little Rock is the kind of place you actually need to carry. Since I got my license I'm surprised because I carry regularly in the town where I live and especially in Little Rock. :evil:

The Lone Haranguer
September 18, 2009, 10:05 PM
I'm not going to spend the time and money ($70-$90 for the class, $115 for the permit), only to then not carry. That would make no sense.

smee781
September 18, 2009, 10:08 PM
I carry all the time. No if's and or butts about it.

razorback2003
September 18, 2009, 10:23 PM
I have had a license in Arkansas and now a permit in Tennessee and always carried when legal, even before getting my license in Arkansas. I started carrying a loaded concealed handgun in Arkansas when I was 18 without a license (completely legal) when I would travel from Little Rock to other parts of the state to visit family and friends. I decided to get a license in Arkansas so I could be legal when not on a journey and also for reciprocity with other states, such as Tennessee...where you must have a license no matter what to have a loaded handgun on you....no exceptions for travelers. I also hiked, hunted, and fished carrying a handgun all the time, especially in the summer for snakes when i was 18 in Arkansas...again legal there without a license.

MADDOG
September 18, 2009, 10:33 PM
I carry every day since I got my permit. I also carried in the truck before they ever talked about having a CCL. You could carry concealed in you truck in Texas under certain conditions before they issued CCL.

22-rimfire
September 18, 2009, 10:37 PM
I got my permit because I was concerned about doing work in some suspect areas. I carry during those times. Always have a loaded firearm in my truck which is illegal in my state unless you have a permit. It may do me no good what so ever in the event I needed to defend myself. But I accept the risk. Only carry maybe 20% of the non-working times and my job frequently brings me in contact with felons or X-felons on a regular basis. I figure the X-felon's have paid their price to society.

chuckusaret
September 18, 2009, 11:13 PM
I carry 99.5% of the time with a XD 40 Sub compact and an NAA380 or a LCP as backup.

mokin
September 18, 2009, 11:27 PM
I generally carry 90% of the time it is allowed. My work frequently takes me to places where firearms are forbidden. I've got a lock box for the vehicle (mine) where I can stash the pistol. If I have doubts about where I am going or if I will be in a company truck (with another person) I usually go unarmed.

gym
September 18, 2009, 11:29 PM
It's a tale that only time will tell. Don't go by me, I carry most of my life, but new guys and gals, I would bet only about 10 to 15% end up carrying after the first year or two. It's too much of a headache for most folks. Between work and the Gym, and the Bar, well you get it. When you carry, you have to change a lot of things to fit your lifestyle.

Deltaboy
September 18, 2009, 11:56 PM
Daily

Chunkychuck
September 19, 2009, 12:41 AM
My permit came today and when the wife and I went out to dinner I carried. I debated with myself for about 20 minutes whether to or not. The deciding factor was asking, Why did I get the permit? I got the permit, pardon the negative waves Oddball, because I think things are going to get worse before they get better, if they get better. She didn't know the permit came, I didn't tell her, and if she noticed, she didn't say anything. I am going bow hunting in the morning so by law I can't carry. but, other than situations like that, I plan to carry.

flrfh213
September 19, 2009, 01:48 AM
i carry about 50% of the time, but i have a pistol in reach 90% of the time... nightstand, truck (between seats or the like) iwb holster on me ect....

colorado_handgunner
September 19, 2009, 02:15 AM
All the time except at work (not allowed).

Zach S
September 19, 2009, 06:09 AM
If legal, I'm usually armed. If I'm going somewhere that doesn't allow it (courthouse, etc), I strap on my holster, however I still have my car gun in the vehicle.

NMGonzo
September 19, 2009, 07:05 AM
I don't frequent places in which I am not allowed to be armed.

I rather be armed than drunk.

DeepSouth
September 19, 2009, 07:19 AM
I know several people who have a license so they can legally carry in their vehicle. I carry everywhere except work, and of course those places where it is "illegal" to do so.

moooose102
September 19, 2009, 09:12 AM
i can see no reason NOT to carry once you have the permit, other that going to the hospital (to visit someone), or church on sunday. everyone that i know that has a permit carries. i suppose some people might do it simply as a political statement. but to me, that does not make much sence. if you are going to go through the process, and pay all the money, you might as well get something out of it. of course, you would never see in print where a person with a cpl was attacked, while not carrying. the anti-gun media could never report such a thing. it might actually make someone think that they may be safer with protection, that with their cell phone.

jhco
September 19, 2009, 09:18 AM
3yrs and counting, I carry everyday.

jfh
September 19, 2009, 01:40 PM
avoid an endless cataloging of what our personal carry habits are. We can spend bandwidth better than that, I think.

When mousegun responded to my query earlier--about whether or not his teaching included an overemphasis on the carry-er's "awesome responsibility"--he said

"...It was not overemphasized but it was stated and if that was the deterring factor then I can't honestly believe that the person hearing the statement is ready for carrying.

"Thinking of carrying a weapon as an "awesome responsibility" is just one way of separating a truly responsible person from one that someday may make it bad for all of us. There are of course, many others."

I am now wearing my (former) educator's hat and I'm picking up hinky undercurrents, so to speak. It does seem to me that your approach to your teaching this subject has two characteristics to it that are not necessarily desirable: The first is that you are focussing on a very abstract concept--'awesome responsibility'--that is also very subjective. In doing so, you are really emphasizing personal judgement of an educational 'goal' and not objectively evaluating a student's performance criteria.

The second element in your teaching style is that it does sound like you are teaching what is NOT satisfactory instead of what is. Oversimplifying it, you are saying something like "...if you don't understand this (responsibility), then don't do that (carry a gun). You are (inadvertently) reinforcing their reasons NOT to carry. Add to that the (probable) generally-negative image of lethal self-defense naive / new gun owners have from the MSM reporting, and what they have gained--besides basic proficiency, hopefully--is a mindset that emphasizes "no" as a response to this activity. So, being anxious to begin with (they are new to this), 'awesome responsibility' only increases their anxiety--and they avoid the activity (carrying).

Note that my comments do not deny the validity of the notion of "awesome responsibility"--that's true enough, I share that understanding with you. However, that's a decision made early on in the whole process of becoming a carry-er, and one that a responsible user revisits only infrequently.

So, think about your teaching style some more. Look for a way to 1) acknowledge the awesome responsibility early on, perhaps in the your introductory comments, and from then on 2) focus on the objective criteria--firearm familiarization, basic proficiency and a rudimentary understanding of how to achieve satisfactory response to a lethal threat.

IMO. FWIW.

Jim H.

skoro
September 19, 2009, 03:32 PM
I received my permit over a year ago. I carry almost everywhere but work, where it's not allowed.

RockchuckerII
September 19, 2009, 03:51 PM
I got my carry permit solely for buying pistols, here in Florida there is a 3 day wait if you don't have one.

kda
September 19, 2009, 04:23 PM
My wife and I got our permits because we perceived a genuine need to start looking out for ourselves a little better as things continue to deteriorate in our society. That need has not lessened; we predict the need will increase. So once we found handguns and holster that really worked for us, we just got into the habit of carrying all the time. She is a good shot too and I'm glad to have her with me ... nice backup.

I wonder (only because it was true for us) if people who eventually give up carrying do so primarily because they try to carry / or feel the need to carry "too much" gun. We've got full sized weapons for around home, but none of these work for us as carry weapons and were we to try and carry them it would be just cumbersome enough that we would no doubt fall out of the habit of carrying at all.

But we found what not only worked, but was perfect for us. And yes, I'd feel better if I were carrying a shotgun with 00 buck, our S&W 637 Ultralights with CT grips are weapons we can both carry .... and they are so comfortable that we often forget we even have them with us ... so they are with us ALL THE TIME. We don't even have to think about it.

smallbore
September 19, 2009, 05:47 PM
I carry when/where legal to do so on a daily basis.

fattboyzz
September 19, 2009, 05:56 PM
I carry !..its why I got the license ;)

Double Naught Spy
September 19, 2009, 07:40 PM
I would be willing to guess that most of the folks who post here and who have a license (if they need one) do carry most of the time when it is lawful. People who post here and who have a license are not the norm of the population, however.

Based on the people I know and CHL instructors with whom I have spoken here in Texas, about 15-25% carry daily. The rest do it part time, when they feel threatened, when they travel, or not at all.

I'm not going to spend the time and money ($70-$90 for the class, $115 for the permit), only to then not carry. That would make no sense.
A lot of people don't make sense, like those with DLs that don't own a car or that own a car and who opt to use public transportation, etc. Having the license doesn't mean having to carry all the time or at all, but having the option to do so. For those of us who carry all the time, it may not seem logical, but it really is quite logical, especially when not everyone wants to carry all the time.

22-rimfire
September 19, 2009, 08:13 PM
Having the license doesn't mean having to carry all the time or at all, but having the option to do so. For those of us who carry all the time, it may not seem logical, but it really is quite logical, especially when not everyone wants to carry all the time.

That is my take also. I frankly don't want to carry a gun all the time. It is way too much trouble unless it's is OC. When the threat level increases, I'll be armed night and day. The permit gives you the ability to adjust your carry based on your perception of threat level.

Tacbandit
September 19, 2009, 10:01 PM
Quote:
"i can see no reason NOT to carry once you have the permit, other that going to the hospital (to visit someone), or church on sunday...."

It's legal where I live to carry at church...never mind...perhaps that's another thread...

metallic
September 19, 2009, 10:35 PM
I carry every day. About the only time I don't carry is when at church or when at work on a client's property.

REAPER4206969
September 19, 2009, 10:43 PM
Very few people take carrying seriously. To most people their firearm is nothing more than a false sense of security.

Most people buy a handgun, fire maybe a box of ammo through it, don't clean it, stuff some cheap target loads into the magazine (chamber empty of course) and throw it into a glove box or maybe if they are going into the "bad part of town" a fanny pack or purse.

They tell themselves and others willing to listen that they are "armed and protected", However experienced Gunmen that take carrying seriously know this not to be the case.

22-rimfire
September 19, 2009, 11:01 PM
They tell themselves and others willing to listen that they are "armed and protected", However experienced Gunmen that take carrying seriously know this not to be the case.
"Gunman" probably needs to be changed to criminal. A sense of security is a good thing even though many of us would be dead if we encountered a real criminal who has no respect for human life.

REAPER4206969
September 19, 2009, 11:18 PM
"Gunman" probably needs to be changed to criminal.
What? I was speaking of people who take carrying seriously.

gun·man

gun·man [gúnmən]
(plural gun·men [gúnmən])
n
skillful shooter: a man skilled in firing guns

Encarta ® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1998-2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

A sense of security is a good thing even though many of us would be dead if we encountered a real criminal who has no respect for human life.
"a false sense of security"

You have allready lost the fight. You need to get a better mindset, you can kill your attacker before he kills you.

The_Shootist
September 19, 2009, 11:22 PM
When my Texas CHL arrived in 1998 (2 renewals since then) within 15 min of fishing it out of the envelope I was putting my 1911 (I only owned 2 handguns then) into an IWB holster, tossing a shirt over it and going out the door. It was a legitimate trip - had to go grocery shopping.

But damn! I felt like everybody was eyeing me when in truth nobody even gave me a second glance. After that day, putting a gun in a pocket or an IWB rig is second nature, like putting on my shoes before I go out the door.

I still have that 1911 - I'd shoot and carry it more if the .45 ammo was in better supply. Nowadays a 642 usually goes in my pocket in summer - and in winter (if you want to call it that in SE Texas) its my G19.

I dare say that CCW work has gotton easier in the 10+ yrs I have been carrying simply because of the proliferation of junk people hang on their belts. People see a bulge appear/disappear under a shirt as you move around and dismiss it as a blackberry/cell/iPod etc. My shirts are extra baggy as I intend that they don't see the bulge in the first place.

xsquidgator
September 19, 2009, 11:29 PM
I've been wondering the same thing. I got certified as an NRA Instructor so I could teach firearms classes and help people get their CWPs. So far I've gotten 4 people through at least one class each. Each of the 4 told me they wanted to get their CWP. To date (about 6 weeks after the first finished the class), none of them have yet finished getting fingerprinted and submitting their CWP application. I think eventually at least 2 or 3 of them will, and one of them may carry regularly as you were asking. So, maybe one out of 4 will carry regularly, maybe, and this was out of people who contacted me saying they wanted a CWP.

So, I don't think your numbers are too out of whack. Carrying regularly, or even always while legal like many of us here do, isn't for everyone. I think just learning the state CWP and deadly force laws "for real" in a CWP class changes some poeple's minds. Not that they oppose carry, but because the reality and responsibility turns out to be "heavier" than they thought it would be when they signed up for the class. It's one thing to imagine yourself blasting away at terrorists and robbers, it's quite another when you learn about all the things you're responsible for and can go to jail for. I do what I've heard of other instructors doing- I tell the students in the class that I'm going to try to scare them into NOT using their CWP, and they should only use it if they can get comfortable with some of the legal aspects that the average non-shooter doesn't know or think about.

That was me a few years ago, actually. I got my permit after 9/11 and didn't use it as a CWP for several years. (I always had a pistol in my car, but in FL you don't need a permit for that anyway). It took me a couple of years to "get it" and evolve my mindset and habits into what they are now. I don't see why most people wouldn't do similarly.

rbernie
September 19, 2009, 11:35 PM
Most people buy a handgun, fire maybe a box of ammo through it, don't clean it, stuff some cheap target loads into the magazine (chamber empty of course) and throw it into a glove box or maybe if they are going into the "bad part of town" a fanny pack or purse.

They tell themselves and others willing to listen that they are "armed and protected", However experienced Gunmen that take carrying seriously know this not to be the case. That's often the case. But these people are also part of the RKBA fight just as much as anyone else, so I try not to think poorly of them.

We each make our choices, in our own way. As long as they're a fellow gunnie, it's all good to me.

wrs840
September 19, 2009, 11:37 PM
I carry concealed everywhere it's legal, and have ever since I was permitted, even when I'm at home. I was carrying at a wedding today. My wife and kids knew, but they would think it was abnormal if I wasn't, and they give it no more thought than they would to whether I have my wallet and car keys.

Les

flrfh213
September 20, 2009, 12:12 AM
i would carry more with a smaller gun.... also need a better holster..(IWB) but gun show next weekend so ya never know what may happen....

CornCod
September 20, 2009, 12:35 AM
Five days a week I work at a prison and can't even keep a gun in my car trunk on prison property. On Saturday, I work my p/t job as an adjunct at a little college in an urban area. I can't carry on campus and leave my gun unloaded in the car. On Sunday, I go to church. Once again, I can't carry in church in my state and have to leave the gun in the car. Most of the rest of the time I carry but the remaining time is so small as to be insignificant. I mostly carry when out dining with my wife and friends or taking some other form of recreation. In short, I am armed a very small percentage of the time. Its a Pity really as I would prefer being armed nearly 24/7.

1911 guy
September 20, 2009, 01:47 AM
If I am with my family, I am armed. If I can't be armed, I don't take my family there. When on my own, I carry fairly often, at least five days a week to work (I work in a ratty neighborhood in Cleveland, Oh.)

I carry to church every Sunday, shopping, vacations, I've tucked a pea-shooter into swim trunks to go to the Municipal pool. My family's safety is not about to be compromised because some idgit decides to whig out and I left my piece in a drawer at home.

REAPER4206969
September 20, 2009, 01:50 AM
I've tucked a pea-shooter into swim trunks to go to the Municipal pool.
That a boy!

ChCx2744
September 20, 2009, 10:29 AM
I don't even need a permit to carry...But I have a permit anyways...AND I carry anyways :D

rcellis
September 20, 2009, 10:55 AM
Circumstances allow me to carry nearly all the time - so I do.

BushyGuy
September 20, 2009, 10:58 AM
i got my LTCF permit in march 2009 i been carrying 24/7 since got 4 more years to happy carrying!

mountainpharm
September 20, 2009, 11:25 AM
Glock 36 - 24/7 where legal

gideon_70
September 20, 2009, 01:26 PM
I carry selectively. I'm from a state where open cary is the rule, and now live in a state where concealed carry is the rule. I got my permit, and carry whenever I am in a location that is prone to violence.

ENCPirate
September 21, 2009, 12:14 AM
I carry when I can, but I am still in college and a good portion of my day is spent on campus. So my gun ends up spending more time then I like in my car.

Trebor
September 21, 2009, 05:12 AM
I teach the class to get a Michigan Concealed Pistol License about once a month. I've had hundreds of students go through my classes.

In the class itself many of them tell me that they don't plan to carry or only plan to carry part of the time. A few want a permit so they can carry while hunting without having to worry about if their pistol gets accidentally covered with their coat. Others only want to carry when they go "someplace dangerous." (I try to correct that notion as best can...)

Some students want the permit because of the other benefits it offers. If you have a Michigan CPL it makes buying a handgun in Michigan easier. It also adds some additional legal protection when you are just transporting a handgun, even if it's not actually on your person. Those are all valid reasons.

For the students who get the permit because they have at least some interest in carrying a defensive handgun there are still obstacles to every-day carry. Michigan law severely restricts where we can carry handguns and many students work at one of the locations where carry is prohibited by law, not just by company policy. Other students work at places where policy restricts carry and don't carry for fear of losing their job.

And, for many people, concealed carry becomes a novelty that quickly wears off. Carrying a gun all the time is a bit of a pain in the *** and some people start carrying and give it up when they find it uncomfotable or inconvenient.

I do know that I have students who make the commitment to carry and who carry every day, or close to it, and at least try to be armed at all times where the law (and sometimes their employer) allows. I'd say that's about 1/3 to 1/2 of my students and I can't be any more precise then that.

GojuBrian
September 21, 2009, 05:26 AM
I'm going to carry at every opportunity when my permit arrives.

I paid good money for the class, then the permit. It would be a waste of money not to.

Besides, I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Ske1etor
September 21, 2009, 02:20 PM
I attended my CHP class with eight of my buddies. Of those eight, only one of them actually got his permit. Him and I both carry daily (Been very good friends with this guy since gradeschool and I happen to be the person that got him into shooting/hunting and such). The other seven never turned in their paperwork or anything.

Yellowfin
September 21, 2009, 02:28 PM
I carry every day when I'm in a place where I can. Unfortunately the last few years have had my wife and me in California and now New York State. :(

DasFriek
September 21, 2009, 02:29 PM
I got my license last week,and i wont leave home without my handgun.
I had my eyes focused on getting my permit asap,so i could carry legally.

At this point i have 2 guns for ccw and ill be adding 2-3 more in the next few months so i have one for every clothing occasion.
My plan: full sized .45,compact .45,mid sized .40,compact 9mm,compact .380

mljdeckard
September 21, 2009, 02:30 PM
In here, we pretty much all will to varying degrees. I'm sure there are many perm it holders who are casual about it, but they probably don't post in here.

the lone gunman
September 22, 2009, 07:17 AM
Heres a good vid on carry;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gIHDHZf1TA

TDR911
September 22, 2009, 07:35 AM
I recieved my permit 19 years ago. I carried every day for about 4 years and when I moved to a better business location I stopped for 2 1/2 years and then as my business customer base changed I went back to carrying and started going to the firearms training classes. I now carry everyday even on the boat fishing.
I was an FFL for 4 years and was ammazed at how many new gun buyers have very little knowledge on handling and use of firearms. I would always take the time to explain every function, sometimes even meeting them at the range after hours to get them comfortable with their new weapon.
I also would suggest an NRA class.

As stated before I think most people are getting weapons and permits as they have fears that they will not be able to get them later on.

garyr
September 22, 2009, 07:59 AM
I carry every single day.....as long as I remain in this state or plan to do so. I work in Massachusetts and there is no reciprocity so I'm unable to carry daily to work.

bababooey32
September 22, 2009, 10:27 AM
I'm still waiting for my TX permit to arrive. I'm not sure if I will carry or not. The reasons I wanted the permit were twofold: 1) Make it easier to purchase firearms down the road and 2) so that I have the option to carry if I choose. My aprehension in carrying right away are that I feel I should get some specific training before packing. Things like drawing from concealment, shooting while moving, offhand and one handed manipulation, reloading etc. I can punch papoer with the best of them, but I have not had the opportunity to train in these other areas. I believe I havet he reponsibility to be as proficient as possible before carrying a loaded firearm around.

Also, my opportunities for carry are few and far between: I can't carry at work, I can't carry at my kids' schools, I can'tcarry at the airport and when my wife and I go out, it ususally involves some cocktails!:evil: I'm not sure I need to carry on the golf course or at the country club gym. That leaves weekend shopping/chores and playing catch with my son on weeknights for most carrying opportunities. Not to say I won't, but it's not going to be the majority of the time.

I am most likely to keep a car gun, given how much time I spend there.

EOC_Jason
September 22, 2009, 11:02 AM
It took like 6+ Months for my CHL to arrive (I live in Texas). I took the class with my father and a couple friends. It's kind of funny, but the first thing mentioned was that having a CHL can get you out of tickets! (i.e. minor traffic tickets)

In all seriousness though, I did get a lot out of the class. The discussion about criminal & civil liability was very enlightening.

They are nice for purchasing firearms, you just show them your CHL and fill out the paperwork. No online check / phone call necessary.

I wanted one mostly because having a CHL gives you a lot more rights here in Texas vs not having one. I know that previous sentence sounds like I'm stating the obvious, but I mean in the sense that by having a CHL the police aren't going to question you why you have a pistol with you in your vehicle and such.

I found myself carrying a LOT lately, mostly because I've been uncovering a lot of local corruption involving mucho dollars and felony crimes.

DeathByCactus
September 22, 2009, 11:38 AM
I carried that same day it arrived. I was nervous as all hell. Now it is like second nature really. I wish I could actually carry to college though or at least in the parking lot so I can lock it up.

Carl
September 22, 2009, 12:08 PM
I spend most of my time at either work or school, where my ccw isn't allowed at either place. When at home I sometimes have it on and definitely have it on if I'm going to a place that's not work or school.

I bought a Galco Summer Comfort, it's alright. It can shift a lot but I found it to be more concealable and comfortable in a crossdraw. It works for me at least.

Steve H
September 22, 2009, 12:11 PM
Every day that I'm in Utah. But now the problem. I live about 45 minutes from Nevada & do some shopping there. Nevada no longer honors the Utah permit.

searcher451
September 22, 2009, 05:34 PM
It's tough to explain some folks' motivation. I went to class with a good friend two years -- a refresher for me and his first time through. He has yet to send in the material to get his permit. Every time I see him, he'll say, "Ya know, I need to get around to doing that one of these days." I just shake my head -- not a lot else I can do, but remind him about the cruel and unpredictable world that we live in.

gym
September 22, 2009, 06:22 PM
Forgetting about those who are in forums like this." I carried at my wedding", but we aren't the norm, the percentage of people who have licenses, don't carry after the first few years. I would bet money on that. Most guys who I used to shoot with 20-30 years ago, don't even shoot at all anymore. It's like anything else, we are the execption not the rule. I am 61 and I don't throw out the garbage without a pistol someware on my person. But look at it like any other activity, "even though it's not", folks take up 10 or 20 different hobbies in the course of their lives. If they never really thought that they may really have a life or death experience due to their remembering to have a gun on them, they might take it more seriously, but to many it's just another hobby. Once they get tired of carrying that gun around with them, and start leaving it home, that's the beginning of the end of their carrying. We make a lot of adjustments in our daily lives just to maintain our ability to carry our weapon. From the clothes we wear to the method of transportation we use. And the ability to stop into a bar with folks from work, or go to the gym or swimming pool. We plan everything around the gun, weather we realise it or not. It's a lifestyle. And sometimes it can be darn inconvienient, a good rule of thumb is not to tell too many people other than your close friends and spouse, "people who you really can trust and are like minded". I have had a close friend ask me to leave my gun in the car. That only happened once, as I was about to leave and he said , "never mind". But you don't know how people are going to respond to the mere fact that someone is armed in their presence.

mustang_steve
September 22, 2009, 08:36 PM
I'm figuring it's two things.

1) What I think is the most prevalent situation: people are getting it for political reasons....in other words making it clear that X many people in this state are adamant RKBA supporters. This removes any doubt in the Politicritter's mind who he/she will be annoying when he gives his yay/nay on the next bill.

2) Economic downturn has made what used to be decent neighborhoods into less than safe places. In this case these folks may feel that it's necessary to have some form of protection in the event they become a target of these criminals.

Rexster
September 23, 2009, 12:06 AM
I am an LEO, so when I encounter folks with a Texas CHL, I usually know about it right away, either through the CHL holder telling me, or when I run a person or license check. It is extremely rare for me to meet a CHL holder actually carrying. I have made no attempt to keep score.

If the conversation gets around to the subject, it seems most carry when they feel a special need, or feel threatened for some reason. The logic escapes me, as most violence seems random or otherwise unexpected.

Oohrah
September 23, 2009, 03:50 AM
Never leave home without one !!! Before and after CHL. The CDL about nine years now!

gunnut2u
September 23, 2009, 08:32 AM
Actually wasn't able to carry for about 5 hrs today and was uncomfortable .I've carried 24/7 since my permit and felt I Was Missing Something !!!

rogertc1
September 23, 2009, 08:54 AM
I have had one for over 37 years. Low crime area and I rarely carry. Never have had a need in over 37 years. Iowa carry permit are good for buying pistols at a FFL wihout a call to the ATF. Just fill out the 4473, pay for the hand gun and walk out.

HardShell
September 23, 2009, 11:02 AM
... If the conversation gets around to the subject, it seems most carry when they feel a special need, or feel threatened for some reason. The logic escapes me, as most violence seems random or otherwise unexpected.

Exactly!

Guns and more
September 23, 2009, 01:06 PM
How many actually carry after permit arrives?
I'm one of those guys who will not carry every day. I don't feel the need to.
However, I strongly believe that if you don't exercise your rights, you will lose them.
I want to keep my (and your) rights alive.

ckgdrums
September 23, 2009, 01:29 PM
I have carried every day since I've received my permit. Of course, with the exception of work (weapons banned at my place of employment).

Haywood
September 23, 2009, 01:42 PM
I applied and received my permit as soon as Ohio made them available. I carry every day all day.

NMGonzo
September 23, 2009, 04:23 PM
Is not "if" but "what" I carry.

My 5 shooter is my minimum.

Maverick223
September 23, 2009, 05:00 PM
For a year of so after getting my CCP I didn't carry, then kept a small pistol hidden in my vehicle. Now I have purchased a pocket pistol and carry pretty frequently, but not always. :)

LaVere
September 23, 2009, 06:08 PM
I got my CPL 7 years ago and carry about 95%. I went to a pizza and beer place last night while is is legal to carry there. I didn't. I rarely drink and last night was no exception. No reason I just did not carry there. The worst part is it boarders on a real bad part of town. I think I'll rethink this again if it comes up.

Badlander
September 24, 2009, 08:46 PM
If my pants are on I have A gun. I've been known to have A gun and no pants.

Maverick223
September 24, 2009, 10:03 PM
I always feel like I have forgot something if I leave without them...I just feel naked without em'...my pants that is. :D

ndh87
September 25, 2009, 11:24 AM
I've carried every day since i got mine. Its the cheapest life insurance you can buy.

If you enjoyed reading about "How many actually carry after permit arrives?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!