Nickle plated brass

PDA

DeepSouth
September 19, 2009, 12:14 AM
First off, I don't reload so if I'm asking a dumb question it is because I am ignorant to even the basics of reloading.

But I do hope to one day join the reloading group, one day after much reading and advice/tutoring from a 20 year+ reloader in my family. But for now I just save all my brass, I have been told it can get expensive, a lot of what I have saved up is nickel plated, (Gold Dot, Golden Saber, ect, ect) and I was just wondering if it is ok to reload. Am I wasting my time picking it up or is just as good as 'regular' brass? I would ask my family member but he is mainly a long gun guy and I doubt he has ever reloaded a pistol bullet at all, and I don't even know if they make Nickel Plated rifle shells.

If you enjoyed reading about "Nickle plated brass" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Steve C
September 19, 2009, 12:28 AM
Nickle plated brass can be reloaded just fine. In some cases it has a tendency to crack a little sooner than brass cases but that isn't any reason to not use it. You can still get many reloadings out of it.

DeepSouth
September 19, 2009, 12:33 AM
Okay, thanks, that's what I wanted to know. I assume it wouldn't be different from regular brass other than possibly cracking sooner.

bigeye
September 19, 2009, 12:38 AM
Nickle plated is excellent (and kind of pretty). You might want to begin your reloading experience by having someone that really knows how, show you what to look for before you save any brass. Cracks, where, how bad, thinning cases, blown primers, and on and on. Actually it can be done quickly once you know what you are looking for. Any brass you would not want to reload and shoot should be crushed to eliminate it from the system. Keep the crushed ones also, as 'scrap' metal prices have gone through the roof. You can make a few dollars on junk! Best of luck. I would bet you will be reloading sooner than you might imagine right now.

.38 Special
September 19, 2009, 12:59 AM
I pretty much use nickeled brass exclusively these days. As Steve C. pointed out, some batches tend to split prematurely. Most, though, are just fine.

Also worth noting that someone will probably come along to claim that the nickel will flake off and scratch you dies. You can safely ignore him; he's an idiot.

HTH!

hogshead
September 19, 2009, 01:02 AM
Do you have to have carbide dies for nickel.

Marlin 45 carbine
September 19, 2009, 01:27 AM
most all pistol dies are carbide sizers nowadays.
I load my 'peformance' loads in nickeled cases, plinking in regular brass.

hogshead
September 19, 2009, 01:39 AM
Do you use lube?

RVenick
September 19, 2009, 07:50 AM
No need to use lube with carbide dies whether loading Nickel or Regular Brass. I also use Nickel for my development loads no real reason other then the the Nickel looks better. :D

The Bushmaster
September 19, 2009, 09:58 AM
Go down town to a reputable gun shop and buy Lyman's 49th Edition and read it. Well worth your time and money. Or better yet...Ask your 20 year plus reloading friend for his copy...

Speedo66
September 19, 2009, 11:14 AM
Nickel tends to stay fresh on the outside more than brass cases if you have a carry gun you rarely shoot. This especially goes for revolver cartridges carried in a leather dump pouch. The leather has a tendency to vertigree brass.

I once cleaned the gun of an old officer I worked with. I don't think he ever changed the carry ammo in his backup revolver from day one. I had to tap the brass cartridges out of the cylinder with a pencil because they had vertigreed and were stuck in there. :eek:

calaverasslim
September 19, 2009, 11:20 AM
I have read where a couple of the brass and die manufacturers suggest lube on brass even with carbide. HUMMMM!!!

I do use it cuz it doesn't seem to stress the brass as much and makes it easier to run the case up into the sizer.

Does it help the brass? I don't know but it sure makes it ezier on me

dagger dog
September 19, 2009, 03:28 PM
Slicker than snot on a door knob, is the feel of lubed cases through carbide dies, you have to try it at least once, it is effortless!

Please bear with me on my round about approach to the OP! I'm having intermitten extraction problems with neck sized only, 22 Hornet Winchester brass a through a Savage Model 40 Varmint Hunter . Trying to rule out problems with the extractor, and rough chamber, I have polished the chamber with Flitz and 0000 steel wool, and inspected the extractor to case rim contact to make sure the problem doesn't lie in that area, and I'm relativley certain the problem is not the latter.

Would nickle plated brass help the problem? As in being a smidge harder and enough to not flow into the minute imperfections in the chamber, which I suspect is the cause of my problem. Any one cured such a problem with the nickle plated stuff?

If you enjoyed reading about "Nickle plated brass" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!