Germans in Afghanistan (pics)

PDA

Berg
September 19, 2009, 12:27 AM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/00qg0YS8KF9yr/610x.jpg
German Bundeswehr army snipers with the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) open fire at a shooting range in Kunduz October 7, 2008. Chancellor Angela Merkel's cabinet agreed on Tuesday to extend Germany's participation in a NATO peacekeeping mission in Afghanistan and raise the number of troops it can send there by 1,000, a government official said.
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/06tG178db94je/610x.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/06GM8kLh2G70e/610x.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0e1z6VR6dnagp/610x.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/08GZ5L5bau1Eo/610x.jpg
German ISAF soldiers are seen as they patrol the outskirts of Feyzabad, east of Kunduz, Afghanistan, Friday, Sept. 18, 2009.

If you enjoyed reading about "Germans in Afghanistan (pics)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Brass Fetcher
September 19, 2009, 12:29 AM
Thanks for the pics!

Berg
September 19, 2009, 12:31 AM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0bJx7bV0t69Dk/610x.jpg
A German ISAF soldier, a member of the Quick Reaction Force (QRF), checks his machine-gun prior to a mission outside Kunduz, Afghanistan, Wednesday, Sept. 9, 2009. German Chancellor Angela Merkel said the world should reserve judgment on whether civilians were killed in a German-ordered airstrike in Afghanistan, even as NATO said it believed that civilians had died in the attack.

Cool vehicle
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0gHd71jfDh3I5/610x.jpg
German ISAF soldiers get ready for a mission outside Kunduz, Afghanistan, Tuesday, Sept. 8, 2009. The NATO-led force acknowledged for the first time Tuesday that Afghan civilians were killed in a German-ordered airstrike last week on two stolen fuel tankers, and the top commander appointed a team to investigate. German Chancellor Angela Merkel said Tuesday that her government won't accept premature judgments over an airstrike suspected of killing Afghan civilians but she pledged German support for a thorough investigation.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/08kB8im1aNf8a/610x.jpg

paintballdude902
September 19, 2009, 12:48 AM
what are the rifles?

Berg
September 19, 2009, 12:53 AM
HK G36 in 5.56

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_%26_Koch_G36

Dr. Fresh
September 19, 2009, 01:29 AM
Machine gun? That's a rifle.

Jager01
September 19, 2009, 03:34 AM
Thanks for the pics. Its nice to see that one of the original warrior cultures is back. Glad they are on our side this time.

THE DARK KNIGHT
September 19, 2009, 03:45 AM
Nice, you can grow a full beard in the bundeswher

Oonzpoonz
September 19, 2009, 04:38 AM
Germans always have such neat toys.

nwilliams
September 19, 2009, 04:55 AM
Very cool pics! Thanks for posting!

I suddenly have the urge to join the German Army:uhoh:

akodo
September 19, 2009, 06:06 AM
Machine gun? That's a rifle.

also seems odd to me that all the 'snipers' are using assault rifles + low magnificaiton optics.

The assault rifle being termed machinegun makes me think the captioning is done by an ignorant reporter. I wonder if the term 'sniper' is being incorrectly applied simply because the reporter/photographer saw the firearms had 'scopes' on them

denfoote
September 19, 2009, 06:07 AM
Gott segnen die deutsche Armee.

Shung
September 19, 2009, 07:03 AM
Thanks for the pics. Its nice to see that one of the original warrior cultures is back. Glad they are on our side this time.

so true !

good or bad, german soldiers made their part of History.

red rick
September 19, 2009, 07:48 AM
Looks like most of them are holding there weapons awkwardly to me.

Sav .250
September 19, 2009, 08:04 AM
Looks like they`ve got some good stuff.........

Speedo66
September 19, 2009, 10:37 AM
Glad I wasn't the one taking the photos!

A little too scary looking into those muzzles, even from the comfort of my home. :uhoh:

PandaBearBG
September 19, 2009, 10:38 AM
Well their rifles are a bit "chunkier" than the M4, nice pictures.

HoosierQ
September 19, 2009, 10:53 AM
Their CAMO looks pretty good relative to the terrain. I always liked CAMO...neat exercise in color.

M2
September 19, 2009, 11:01 AM
Good on Merkel, the tanker trucks incidents have been a point debate given GEN McChrystal's new COIN guidance. I am glad she is not letting it undercut Germany support for the mission in Afghanistan.

Actually, I am off to Germany tomorrow for work; I am lucky enough to go there about twice a year on business (I am a govt contractor) as it is "going home" for me (I was born in Frankfurt, my mother is German and I was stationed there for four years while I was in the service).

And if those were Americans, some shoeclerk GO would probably order them to shave!

Cheers! M2

llanite
September 19, 2009, 11:52 AM
Glad I wasn't the one taking the photos!

A little too scary looking into those muzzles

Especially considering all but one have their boogerhooker on the bangbutton!!!! Diese menschen look dangerous - to everyone around them!

Kinzer
September 19, 2009, 12:03 PM
Well, the article did say they were firing their weapons at a range. I'd imagine they'd have to at least touch the triggers, unless I'm underestimating German ingenuity.

Balrog
September 19, 2009, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the pics. Its nice to see that one of the original warrior cultures is back.

After fighting (and losing) two world wars, most of the warrior genes are now eliminated from the German gene pool.

Shung
September 19, 2009, 12:26 PM
Especially considering all but one have their boogerhooker on the bangbutton!!!! Diese menschen look dangerous - to everyone around them

what don't you simply assume the camera is triggered by a remote control ?

average_shooter
September 19, 2009, 12:38 PM
And if those were Americans, some shoeclerk GO would probably order them to shave!

My best friend did a year in Afghanistan and grew his beard out for something like 6 months. I told him to keep it until after he got home, but he wanted to look good when meeting his wife at the airport upon his return so he shaved oh his way out. I asked him about it and basically he said if you're in the right unit and/or know the right people you can get waivers on that stuff.

GRIZ22
September 19, 2009, 01:19 PM
Glad they are on our side this time.

I helped train some West German troops before the wall came down. The German troops wanted to get involved in helping the US in various NATO missions at the time but the West German government was reluctant to send any troops for fear there would be cries of "here come the Germans again". This is one of the reasons their counter-terrorist guys, GSG9, is from their border patrol (a police organization) and not the military. West German troops were also not permitted to train in some other NATO countries they occupied furing WWII. Don't know if this is still so.

US troops that are working with Afghan forces in an advisory role are usually allowed to grow beards as that's a sign of masculinity among Afghans.

leadcounsel
September 19, 2009, 03:13 PM
Nice weapons. And nice camo. I'm not satisfied with the US Army camo pattern and the developer needs to be fired. The poor pattern no doubt has cost American lives. We need badly to get a better pattern, much like the ones pictured above.

Mandolin
September 19, 2009, 03:35 PM
Very awsome cammo pattern

hank327
September 19, 2009, 04:45 PM
I find it odd that the patch on their uniform says "Germany" and not "Deutschland". Germany is the English word for the country a German would call Deutschland. You would think that the patches on a German soldiers uniform would be in German and not English.

I spend a couple of weeks with the 2nd Company, 362 Panzer-grenadier Battalion training at Hammelburg back in 1982. I found the German soldiers to be tough, well trained and motivated soldiers. One notable difference from American soldiers that I noticed is that the German troops didn't bitch as much as American troops tended to do. Their Marder IFVs and MG-3s were a world ahead of our tired old M-113 APCs and worn out M60 machineguns. Not to mention their bier is world class... :)

Deanimator
September 19, 2009, 04:57 PM
I find it odd that the patch on their uniform says "Germany" and not "Deutschland". Germany is the English word for the country a German would call Deutschland. You would think that the patches on a German soldiers uniform would be in German and not English.
Did you notice that the "NATO" patch also says "OTAN"? That's the French acronym for NATO.

Jorg Nysgerrig
September 19, 2009, 05:00 PM
Since they are there as part of NATO's ISAF and the two offical langauges of NATO are English and French, it would make sense the the patches were either in English, French, or both.

Erik M
September 19, 2009, 05:00 PM
sniping with a red dot scope, thats impressive :\

ktd
September 19, 2009, 05:03 PM
I would guess the english is also for the practical benefit of us ignorant americans. Almost everything called Dutch in the US is actually German.

A lot of militaries, even if they have their own alphabet and numbers will use roman letters and numbers on their military stuff.

moe1942
September 19, 2009, 05:27 PM
OTAN is NATO backwards..:)

And those Germans probably speak better English than most Americans.

Fosbery
September 19, 2009, 05:36 PM
You can't shave regularly if you're in a small patrol base miles from anywhere with irregular supplies, where ammo comes first and razors last on the priority list.

British army you can't just grow a beard during normal down time or deployment, but if you're in the arse end of nowhere getting shot to buggery, the length of your facial hair is the last thing on anyone's mind! It also allows you to disguise yourself as a bush for close in recce work :p

Erik M
September 19, 2009, 05:39 PM
is this from the new HALO game coming out this fall?

VirgilCaine
September 19, 2009, 06:10 PM
What does ISAF mean? I keep having Ace Combat 4 flashbacks when I see that.

swiftak
September 19, 2009, 06:23 PM
I was attatched with the German Army several times in the mid 70's. They are excellant soldiers. They know their stuff. As history has shown, politics aside.

M2
September 19, 2009, 06:25 PM
International Security Assistance Force, the NATO mission in Afghanistan.

And the US Army is changing its uniforms (again) due to the camo pattern not being effective.

Lastly, I know certain US military individuals in Afghanistan are allowed to grow beards (I worked with some when I was there); I was referring to some SF teams that were told to shave after some GO saw pictures of them with beards. Yet another classic example of cultural ignorance; but I have to say the current US leadership in Afghanistan seem to be much smarter than that!

Lastly, I've worked with the German military on several occasions and agree with swiftak, they are great soldiers!

Cheers! M2

VirgilCaine
September 19, 2009, 06:32 PM
Ah. Thanks, M2.

PandaBearBG
September 19, 2009, 06:38 PM
The US military are sticklyers on facial hair mostly for getting a proper seal on gas mask, although that pretty much is a minimal threat in that part of the world.

Tinpig
September 19, 2009, 07:18 PM
Sorry if I don't gush over their cool guns and classy camo.

German soldiers buried two of my great-uncles forever in the muck of the Somme in 1916, and then did their best to do the same to my father and uncles from '39 to '45.

Ein Volk, Ein Reich.

Tinpig

Mr.Davis
September 19, 2009, 08:04 PM
Sorry if I don't gush over their cool guns and classy camo.

German soldiers buried two of my great-uncles forever in the muck of the Somme in 1916, and then did their best to do the same to my father and uncles from '39 to '45.

Ein Volk, Ein Reich.

Tinpig
Since you're so eager to blame folks that weren't even alive during the Nazi regime for the sins of their fathers, how do you feel about the Brits?

Brass Fetcher
September 19, 2009, 08:08 PM
Why don't we get back to discussing the guns and camouflage, before this thread cruises to thread lock.

Brass Fetcher
September 19, 2009, 08:09 PM
The gents identified as snipers may indeed be a sniper MOS ... they still need to practice with the regular infantry rifle, because they also need to use those from time to time.

Shung
September 19, 2009, 08:18 PM

I wonder how natives should feel about YOU...

as someone said earlier.. blaming people that are born 35 years after those events is just nonsense..

As for the camo, I find it very good.. along as the italian pattern... Last year I was at a range with German, Italian and US soldiers.. and obviously, the US pattern wasnt the most appropriate for Afghan type landscapes..

Erik M
September 19, 2009, 08:24 PM
Well it was a cool thread with interesting pictures, even if I did mistake thier weapons for airsoft guns. God Speed getting out of Afganistan, men.

paratroop23
September 19, 2009, 08:24 PM
The Germans are still some fine soldiers! Very disciplined and professional. I've had the opportunity to work with them on a couple of different occasions.

Mr Kablammo
September 20, 2009, 01:35 AM
A few things to read up on...

Tuetonic expertise at foosball

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article577388.ece

Germans in Afghanistan

http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/showthread.php?t=5470

Tuetonic non-angst about Islamo-supremacist terror attacks gegen der Vaterland

http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/showthread.php?t=5483

Overall, it seems like Herman is now more interested in Skat than krieg und kampf

Dr.Rob
September 20, 2009, 03:57 PM
That guy with the beard? Swear I ran into him in 1979 in the Grand Canyon backpacking. In flip flops. Wearing a bandanna as a loincloth. Same look on his face.

Shung
September 20, 2009, 04:41 PM
talking about the Grand Canyon, I went down the "Bright Angel trail" starting at 7AM, was down to the Colorado at 12, and was back up 6pm.. In august..

And everybody I met on the trail, mostly coming up had this kind of face.. I mean, it's a pain ! ;)

Dr.Rob
September 20, 2009, 04:44 PM
Try it rim to rim to rim in August, that north rim is a BEAR. I went through two pairs of pants my first trip. The canyon is hard on clothes, gear and feet.

Shung
September 20, 2009, 06:48 PM
Yeah, have to try the north rim once.. but you know, as a "tourist" my RV was on the south, and I really did not want to make rim to rim twice over 2 days ;)

this is how we looked (myself, my dad and my uncle, 2004) just after the climb was over (it was the 2nd trip down for my father, and the 1st for me and my uncle).. pretty exausted..

http://i84.servimg.com/u/f84/11/94/71/06/dsc02710.jpg

Biggest mistake I made was not to carry enough water (water from the tanks on the trail tastes like s....) and the food I prepared for lunch wasnt energetic enough.. we needed more sugar and salts down there.. fortunately some dried fruits saved me on my way up.. To tell you how tired I was, i had collected a few little rocks in the colorado, weighting a few ounces... well, at 2/3 of my climb, after the "indian garden" I threw them out of my pocket, as I felt they were making me too heavy.. LoL

Sorry for the OT, but the trip down the Grand Canyon is just a damn good souvenir !

loneviking
September 20, 2009, 07:15 PM
Looks like these Germans are well equipped, unlike some of the Brit units I've seen over on You-tube. I was watching a recent clip on a Brit unit and coming back in from Recce, these guys didn't have matching uniforms. Their camo was all mixed up, both desert tan to woodland green and all shades in between.

I don't envy these guys one bit. Afghanistan is a tough place to fight in equipped as most soldiers are in modern armies.

CWL
September 21, 2009, 02:56 PM
Is there a link to this article?

They look more like SF by their demeanor, ages and facial hair. I know that only professional soldiers (volunteers, not draftees) are given high-risk assignments.

Mp7
September 21, 2009, 03:58 PM
From what iŽve heard you can wear a beard.. IF that is the usual look you have
when getting into the club.

Look like the pic on your i.d and youŽll be fine.

The soldiers are not draftees... all professionals.
And they get to play with the "You suck & we hate you"-stuff all day long.

And i will need to find out, wether i can myself one
of the neat camo-jackets!

If you enjoyed reading about "Germans in Afghanistan (pics)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!