9mm question

PDA

yardarm
September 19, 2009, 01:22 PM
Which 9mm handgun has the simplest mechanism / fewest parts ? newbie question. Size doesn't matter, big or small.

If you enjoyed reading about "9mm question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GRIZ22
September 19, 2009, 01:32 PM
My educated guess would be a Glock. The 19 is the most versatile IMO.

riverdog
September 19, 2009, 01:54 PM
Ruger SP101 if you can find one in 9MM. Otherwise, the Browning Hi-Power is a single action 9mm and is a fairly simple firearm. The Glock G-17/19 handguns are good, but the Glock trigger mechanism is hardly simple.

oneounceload
September 19, 2009, 03:34 PM
S&W 547 K-frame revolver

PO2Hammer
September 19, 2009, 04:20 PM
I think Glock, they have fewer parts and all of them can be replaced without fitting. They also have the greatest parts compatibility between models.

ChristopherG
September 19, 2009, 04:30 PM
I've read (haven't handled one myself) that the Hi-point pistols are straight blowback operated, all the way up to .45 acp--hence the enormous slides. If true, that would suggest they certainly have the simplest mechanism, though I don't know if it translates into the fewest or simplest parts.

bluetopper
September 19, 2009, 05:57 PM
If I can throw in the 9mm Makarov caliber (9x18), then the Makarov pistol wins hands down. 27 total parts if my memory serves me correct.
Direct blowback, ultra simpicity and reliability.

rcmodel
September 19, 2009, 06:06 PM
HK VP70Z :D

rc

mesinge2
September 19, 2009, 06:10 PM
definetly a 9mm revolver

btg3
September 19, 2009, 06:17 PM
yardarm -- What is your reason for asking?

Dr.Rob
September 19, 2009, 07:49 PM
rcmodel is correct the HK Vp70z has FOUR moving parts.

Glockman17366
September 19, 2009, 07:54 PM
Glocks have 33 parts, total.
I doubt you find anything easier to take down and maintain.

giggitygiggity
September 19, 2009, 11:44 PM
Probably Glock. There is hardly anything in them. They are simple, yet reliable, tough, and accurate.

TRguy
September 19, 2009, 11:51 PM
HK Vp70z

53 parts

http://www.mek-schuetzen.de/Blueprints/hk_vp70z.JPG

bluetopper
September 19, 2009, 11:54 PM
A 9mm revolver? Are you sure?

Try disassembling one and putting it back together and THEN tell me if it's a simpler mechanism than a semi auto.

mokin
September 20, 2009, 12:02 AM
I'm with y'all in the HKVP70Z crowd. I own a Glock, a Browning Hi-Power, and said HKVP70Z. I like the Glock for logistics purposes, the BHP because of its' class (deep down inside, I think it probably the best shooter), and the Heckler Koch for the simplicity and magazine capacity.

JohnKSa
September 20, 2009, 12:07 AM
The Makarov pistols are remarkably simple with under 30 parts. 2nd place goes to Glock with under 40 parts.

tango3065
September 20, 2009, 01:22 AM
Glock actually counts the trigger assembly as one part but look how many parts are really there.

JohnKSa
September 20, 2009, 01:54 AM
Glock actually counts the trigger assembly as one part but look how many parts are really there.The Mak also has a few "parts" that are actually assemblies rather than individual parts--the trigger bar is one, the frame/barrel assembly is another. And I believe the frame of the VP70 is counted as a single part even though it's actually assembled from more than one part.

That sort of thing is common when doing a parts count.

earlthegoat2
September 20, 2009, 05:12 AM
S&W 547 K-frame revolver

I like this one.

Simplest might be a Bond Arms Texas Defender or Cowboy Defender.

purebred
September 20, 2009, 05:45 AM
IMHO Glock

jester_s1
September 20, 2009, 07:23 AM
Are you just looking for it to be simple to service? Pick any common striker fired design that has come out in the last 40 years and it will be easy to take care of. Glocks are the standard, but Springfield XD's and S&W M&P's are also really simple.

bigfatdave
September 20, 2009, 07:45 AM
How about a 9mm single-shot derringer?
I think I have answered the question correctly, but not as desired.
Hi-points with direct blowback have been mentioned, but a derringer is hard to beat for simplicity, even a two-shot one like this one (http://v4.beta.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=139796044) currently up for auction.

NG VI
September 20, 2009, 01:17 PM
The Glock G-17/19 handguns are good, but the Glock trigger mechanism is hardly simple.

What do you mean? Glocks have the most fool-proof trigger mechanism I can think of, any chimp can replace parts in it to alter the feel to their liking. I know because I did about four times on two Glocks in well under an hour one afternoon, first time breaking one down beyond a field strip.

cchris
September 20, 2009, 01:48 PM
"Simple" and "fool-proof" are not the same thing. The mechanism of the Glock trigger, if I remember correctly, is that the firing pin is set halfway back, and when the trigger is pulled, it pulls it the rest of the way back and releases it. In terms of mechanism, this is more complicated than a trigger which simply releases the firing pin.

NG VI
September 20, 2009, 01:53 PM
But it is incredibly easy to work on and maintain, which is what I thought the OP was aking about.

MCgunner
September 20, 2009, 01:57 PM
Not considering the pip squeak Makarovs, full power 9x19s here, I'd say maybe (and I'd never own the thing on ugly alone) the blow back operated Hi Point. But, here is a shining example of how simple isn't ALWAYS better. :D

9MMare
September 20, 2009, 02:56 PM
Which 9mm handgun has the simplest mechanism / fewest parts ? newbie question. Size doesn't matter, big or small.

I hope that this is not a major consideration for choosing your first handgun.

Just sayin'

ChCx2744
September 22, 2009, 01:56 AM
Glock 19

eatont9999
September 22, 2009, 06:55 PM
In answering you question, a wheel gun or Glock would be the closest choices I can think of. If you are concerned with reliability, that is a different question. Although, wheel guns and Glocks seem to be VERY reliable.

btg3
September 22, 2009, 07:34 PM
Although, wheel guns and Glocks seem to be VERY reliable. I would agree on Glocks (never owned one though). But placing the whole category of wheel guns alongside Glocks for reliability is a stretch. For starters, wheel guns will not handle the abuse that a Glock will stand up to. Maybe the whole "wheelgun = reliable" misconception derives from the fact that if a wheelgun doesn't fire, you can keep yanking the trigger???

Don't get me wrong, my revolver is more often my choice for CC than my autoloader and I'm very comfortable depending on it. It's just that some people tote a wheelgun and assume it's reliable when they have no idea of it's actual condition.

Tacbandit
September 22, 2009, 07:53 PM
Glocks...no doubt...!!!

bigfatdave
September 22, 2009, 08:14 PM
I'm still not buying that a Glock is mechanically simpler than a derringer.
And a wheelgun, with the various parts working in concert to line up the next round, lock the cylinder in place, cock and drop the hammer ... can't be simpler than a derringer.

oneounceload
September 22, 2009, 08:32 PM
I still go with the S&W 547, but for mere fewest parts, get a TC barrel in 9mm for their single shot pistol.....you can't get any simpler than that

newgunmike
September 22, 2009, 09:16 PM
my hi-point c9 has a total of 45 parts and 1 part i count as 2 because it was made from 2 parts but cant be taken apart. those 45 parts also include a spring and a bar that do absolutely nothing, now im counting everything that includes the adjustable sight,the magazine, every spring and every screw. someone said that this is an example that simple isnt always better but it can be good enough. i find my c9 to be very reliable as do many others.

eatont9999
September 22, 2009, 09:16 PM
I have never had a wheel gun misfire on me. A jam is much more common in a semi-auto than any functionally sound wheel gun. I agree Glocks are extremely reliable, but so are revolvers. If your revolver does not fire, it is probably poor quality ammunition or it is disrepair. I have NEVER had a wheel gun fail to fire. Maybe it is only me, but this is MY opinion and experiences... Truthfully, I would rather carry a 1911 govt. model than my .38spl, based on potency, but that is because I believe in the .45ACP. I have also never had a failure with my 1911 that was not related to my underpowered "test" reloads.

Also, the Makarov, in my opinion, is a very reliable, concealable and fairly potent weapon. I will gladly carry one and not feel under-gunned.

cchris
September 23, 2009, 02:11 AM
Agreed that a Glock cannot be simpler than a derringer. If that's the case, then I'm guessing a Glock is simpler than a piece of 9mm-diameter metal pipe, a hammer, and a nail?

(by the way, you should all know that'd more or less result in blowing yourselves up, right?)

keen one
September 23, 2009, 01:26 PM
Kel-tec p-11.
Not quite the Glock eligence but simple.

mustang_steve
September 23, 2009, 02:27 PM
Definately a Derringer.
Runner up would be an NAA mini-revolver
Then I think it'd be a S&W k-frame
then the rest.

The typical rule is break-aways have less parts than revolvers, which typically have less parts than auto-loaders.

mesinge2
September 23, 2009, 09:15 PM
eatont9999, I actually had a wheel-gun malfunction. The chamber did not line up with the forcing cone and it shaved copper and lead in between the forcing cone and the cyclinder and locked up the rotation of the cyclinder after three rounds.

Also, I said a 9mm revolver for cleaning and maintence easy.

bigfatdave
September 23, 2009, 10:05 PM
I actually had a wheel-gun malfunctionImpossible! No revolver has ever failed, and when they do, the failures are easy to diagnose, and instantly cleared!

mesinge2
September 23, 2009, 10:24 PM
Impossible! No revolver has ever failed, and when they do, the failures are easy to diagnose, and instantly cleared!

Sorry, but the cyclinder did lock-up. I had to send it to Taurus (it was a model 85), to get it fixed. The chambers were not lined up properly with the forcing cone. A gun, and yes even a wheel gun, is simply a machine and all machines can break or malfunction.

Personally, I like revolvers. I typically carry a S&W model 29 with a 3 inch barrel. It has never let me down, but it is possible to get a malfunctioning revolver.

I can attest to it.

renegade1alpha
September 23, 2009, 11:19 PM
The HKVP70Z is ok if you like the look of those old toy plastic disc guns and using both hands, a winch, a team of mules, two shetland ponies and a dog sled team to pull the trigger!

And of course there is that really useful and tactical European mag release on the bottom of the grip. Don't get me wrong, its a cool gun for what it is, but NOT the first gun I would tell a beginner to buy.

renegade1alpha
September 23, 2009, 11:24 PM
Oh yeah, revolvers do fail. S&W Model 66, cylinder bound up on the range one day. Its rare that they do, but NOT impossible.

ANYTHING can fail.

blue german
September 28, 2009, 08:17 PM
I agree with Keen One, after owning three Glocks and carrying a Kel-Tec 9mm for the past ten years, I'll stay with my Kel-Tec. Reliablity, compact size, hi-capacity (I carry the gun loaded with 10 rounds in the gun + a S&W 669 mag (11) for a reload). I short each mag one round to reduce the chances of any mag spring loosing tension noticeably. And I rotate mags every six weeks.

If you enjoyed reading about "9mm question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!