Anyone figured out an easier way to adjust Hornady LNL for 9mm PTX?

PDA

IMtheNRA
September 19, 2009, 01:13 PM
It would work great if I can adjust the powder die lower, but it is already almost contacting the shell plate. It feels as if the PTX should have been made a little longer.

Last time, I ended up raising the upper clamp on the measure's threads, but I have since readjusted the position of that clamp for another caliber and this time I can't seem to replicate my past success...

What am I doing wrong? :what:

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone figured out an easier way to adjust Hornady LNL for 9mm PTX?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ReloaderFred
September 19, 2009, 02:11 PM
I solved this problem by using a separate expanding die just in front of the powder drop die. In the powder drop die, I use the universal pistol insert, and I don't use the powder through expander at all.

So far, this has worked very well for .38 Special, .40 S&W, .45 acp and 9x19.

Hope this helps.

Fred

IMtheNRA
September 19, 2009, 02:55 PM
I'm going to do that, but first I'll have to replace my 9mm Hornady dies with another brand, because I understand that Hornady has a roll-crimp feature instead of the correct taper crimp. This is why I use a Hornady taper crimp die on the last station. Because of this and the RCBS lockout die, I don't have room for the expander die.

I was hoping to use the PTX, but I have not been able to get it to work since my press came back from Hornady with the EZ Ject retrofit. I just can't get the powder die to sit low enough for the PTX to work unless I lower the die so much that it pushes down and flexes the shell plate.

ReloaderFred
September 19, 2009, 03:26 PM
I normally have dies from several different manufacturers for the calibers I load a lot of, so I mix and match until I get the desired results. Sometimes I forget that other people don't do things the way I do, which is one of the reasons I can't get a car in my garage......... I don't like to have to reset seating dies all the time for different bullets, so I just have seating dies set up for a specific bullet and just change dies. It simplifies things for me.

Sometimes at gun shows, or the on-line auctions, you can pick up used dies pretty cheaply. That's what I've done over the years and have lots of dies. I also don't use the lockout die, since I look in each case before seating the bullet.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Walkalong
September 19, 2009, 05:14 PM
I solved this problem by using a separate expanding die just in front of the powder drop die.
Yep. I just use the same expanders I have always used. I do like Fred and install them in station 2, just before the powder drop. Your die set came with one, just use that one in station 2.

snuffy
September 19, 2009, 06:26 PM
Throw that lame Hornady PTX as far as you can. Go here to get a replacement that actually works.

http://www.powderfunnels.com/

http://www.powderfunnels.com/resources/images/3Large.png

http://www.powderfunnels.com/resources/images/1Large.png

WV_Vizsla
September 21, 2009, 08:59 AM
Keep trying, you will get it. Order the replacement lower part of the powder measure and use it on your main caliber. The PTX worked fine for me in 9mm & 45. I added the universal PTX when I needed more flare for my RCBS bullet feeder. The standard Hornady dies were fine for me until I needed to remove the huge flare required by bullet feeder. Added the H taper die.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone figured out an easier way to adjust Hornady LNL for 9mm PTX?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!