? on loading Nosler 69 gr HPBT's for Mini-14

PDA

Redneck with a 40
September 19, 2009, 08:12 PM
Should I crimp these with my lee FCD or no crimp at all? These bullets are not cannelured, does that matter? If I crimp them, will it affect their performance? Do I have too with the semi-auto action?

If you enjoyed reading about "? on loading Nosler 69 gr HPBT's for Mini-14" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
45ACPUSER
September 19, 2009, 08:32 PM
You really have to view crimping as an option! But, is it necessary? Nope!
Cannelure or not a crimp can be applied, Taper or Profle is better then roll crimping. To have a uniform crimp you need consistent case lengths of brass, otherwise there is no consistency to the quality of the crimp.

R.W.Dale
September 19, 2009, 09:14 PM
With sufficient neck tension crimping SHOULD be unnecessary. But I like to put at least a light crimp on all semiauto ammo with my FCD, if anything just to make feeding that much slicker.

Kernel
September 20, 2009, 03:13 PM
Ammo for my Mini needs a firm crimp. Otherwise, there's a high possiblity the bullets will be pushed back into the case, making for a dangerous pressure spike. That's one reason why I like compressed loads in this action.

Redneck with a 40
September 20, 2009, 05:34 PM
I'll play it safe and put a medium crimp on them, see what happens. I'm loading with H-4895 by the way, awesome stuff.:)

mallc
September 20, 2009, 07:16 PM
What is the twist rate on your mini? Please let me know how the 69 grainers shoot.

Thanks,
Scott

Redneck with a 40
September 20, 2009, 08:06 PM
Its a 1:9 twist, it should shoot the 69's just fine. I'm anxious to find out.:D

rcmodel
September 21, 2009, 12:34 PM
If I crimp them, will it affect their performance?I did some testing with a very accurate CZ-527 using Nosler 55 grain Ballistic Tips crimped with an FCD, and uncrimped.

There was no difference in accuracy worth mentioning.
If anything, the crimped ones shot slightly smaller groups then the crimped ones, but I didn't test enough to get statistically meaningful measurements. (5 five-shot groups of each)

rc

If you enjoyed reading about "? on loading Nosler 69 gr HPBT's for Mini-14" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!