Favorite .303 British hunting load

PDA

351 WINCHESTER
September 19, 2009, 11:07 PM
I have a no5 "jungle carbine" and I'm looking for a good deer/hog load. I have speer 150 gr. and H335 and IMR4064. I've been looking at various manuals and they vary quite a bit. I have new Pri Partisan brass which a lot of folks say it's the best for the .303.

I would appreciate your input.

If you enjoyed reading about "Favorite .303 British hunting load" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kernel
September 20, 2009, 03:00 PM
Of the two powders you have, IMR4064 would be the one to use. H335 is way to fast for best results.

shinz
September 27, 2009, 07:42 AM
They vary quite a bit because with a cartridge that has been used for over a century there are a lot of variables, not the least with rifles. The No5 is based on the No4 action which is as strong as any of the LE actions but if its like mine it has a well oversized chamber & high end loads will play merry hell with your brass. As Kernel has said, of your two powders the 4064 will be the one to go for. Try a google search for "303 Br 4064", you'll find a heap of sources & they'll none of them agree but after a quick scan thru some a start load for 4064 would be about 39-40 grains & work up cafefully from there. The Hodgdon load site lists 44.7grains as a max load with IMR4064 & the 150 grain Hornady. I wouldn'r expect the Speer to be a heap different but do work up toward this. Be sure to neck size your brass only rather than FL size it, you'll get far better brass life that way, do a search on this site, there has been a heap of discussion on this subject over time. Good luck.
Steve

If you enjoyed reading about "Favorite .303 British hunting load" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!