Can anybody ID these from Mayberry?

PDA

mountainpharm
September 20, 2009, 12:05 PM
http://www.andygriffithshow.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10013/normal_AndyTheMatchmaker_%2820%29.jpg

http://www.andygriffithshow.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10013/normal_AndySavesBarneysMorale_%283%29.jpg

http://www.andygriffithshow.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10013/normal_TheLoadedGoat_%2867%29.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Can anybody ID these from Mayberry?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dravur
September 20, 2009, 01:14 PM
Well, the one in the last picture.... is a fire extinguisher

Jim Watson
September 20, 2009, 01:29 PM
In figure 1, Barney is fondling a 1903 Springfield, one of two in the rack. I cannot blow the picture up like CSI to be sure, but it might be a dummy drill rifle instead of surplus.

In figure 2, Barney is pointing a generic double barrelled shotgun, no identification possible from that angle.

In figure 3, Andy is holding a Winchester lever action, looks like a '94 but might be a '92.

4v50 Gary
September 20, 2009, 01:34 PM
I suspect that the "Springfield" is a drill rifle. No magazine floor plate and the bolt knob is a bit off.

BTW, in the last picture, Barney is holding an early North Carolina Bear Repellent Pepper Spray. Mayberry was ahead of the rest of the nation.

Ky Larry
September 20, 2009, 02:11 PM
Isn't Barney's revolver a S&W Model-10? Andy would only give him one bullet and he had to keep it in his pocket.

paintballdude902
September 20, 2009, 02:36 PM
in think in the rack there may be 3 03 spingfields

rcmodel
September 20, 2009, 02:47 PM
Not real 03 Springfields.
They are 03 Springfield drill-rifle dummys.

Note the lack of a floorplate, action screws, and different shape of the trigger guard.

rc

hammerklavier
September 20, 2009, 03:08 PM
That explains a lot. Andy would give Barney a drill rifle to go with his one bullet.

Erik M
September 20, 2009, 04:44 PM
I have pondered this for ages. I can only remeber a couple instances where they actually used those rifles for something. Its been a long long time since I watched some Griffith though.

JWF III
September 20, 2009, 05:32 PM
In figure 3, Andy is holding a Winchester lever action, looks like a '94 but might be a '92.

Looks more like a '92 to me.

Wyman

longbeard48
September 20, 2009, 06:03 PM
I read somewhere that Barney carried a Colt Police Positive, but you couldn't prove it by me.

Jim Watson
September 20, 2009, 06:33 PM
I believe he was seen with both Colt and S&W. The prop man doesn't care and the continuity person didn't notice or didn't know the difference.

kentucky_smith
September 20, 2009, 07:07 PM
The over/under on the rack looks like a Marlin model 90.

Justin
September 21, 2009, 10:41 AM
I believe he was seen with both Colt and S&W. The prop man doesn't care and the continuity person didn't notice or didn't know the difference.

Hiring people who's job is to keep track of continuity issues is a recent development, they probably didn't have someone keeping track of that sort of thing back when The Andy Griffith Show aired.

divemedic
September 21, 2009, 03:20 PM
See, that could never happen today. Barney would have his tactical BDUs, complete with drop leg holster, assault vest, balaclava, and MP-5. Otis would have been taken down HARD.

Ragnar Danneskjold
September 21, 2009, 03:28 PM
Otis would probably also be carrying a stolen Glock, a knife, a crack pipe, a few hundred dollars, and have AIDS with open sores.

windjammer
September 21, 2009, 03:48 PM
Can't beleive it, but I saw a program yesterday that I had never seen before. It was about a farmer that wouldn't talk much. The farmers nane was Sam something or other.

He was doing some farming at night.....that bothered Barney....he put his bullet in his gun and went to investigate..

357phase
September 21, 2009, 06:14 PM
Sam Beckett.I also thought Barney carried a Colt police positive.Rendered incapable of firing and about 2-3 yrs ago actioned off on e-bay and went for around $7800.00 with all the documents.

Gamera
September 21, 2009, 06:18 PM
I love the Andy Griffith show. I remember in the episode where the armored car with a gold shipment came through town, and they gave Barney a tommy gun :P

acdodd
September 21, 2009, 07:33 PM
We watch Andy Griffith almost every night on TVLand.
One of my favorite channels.

fiddleharp
September 21, 2009, 07:53 PM
On a couple of "escaped convict" episodes and perhaps the armored car episode, Andy's weapon of choice was a pump shotgun.
Too bad we don't have any pictures of that. I'm curious what kind of shotgun he preferred.

rioalumni05
September 21, 2009, 09:33 PM
ive seen a few episodes with gun action.. one where he dates a woman skeet shooter, who keeps quiet while he takes her on dates to the range, until theres a shoot in town..

one when the carnival comes to town and opie cant win at the shooting game because the sites are bent...

i find myself watching rerun after rerun of this show on tvland... great tv

FROGO207
September 21, 2009, 09:51 PM
The really scary part is watching the reruns and remembering the original episode and what you were doing then.:D
Some of the guns on old TV shows would be a hoot to own if they were available. Magine the braggin rights.:evil:

bikerdoc
September 22, 2009, 11:21 AM
Barney would have his tactical BDUs, complete with drop leg holster, assault vest, balaclava, and MP-5. Otis would have been taken down HARD.

Now that there is funny!

ants
September 22, 2009, 11:28 AM
I enjoy the fact that we have a couple dozen posts on this Mayberry thread, while truly vital gun topics get only a handful. We have our priorities.

navajo
September 22, 2009, 11:28 AM
The lady skeet shooter was actress Gail Davis. She was raised in Arkansas. She appeared in many westerns, both movies and TV.
Lots of Gene Autry shows.
She also stared in her own series playing Annie Oakley.
And yes, she knew how to shoot.

Griffith episode was The Perfect Woman.

She was also one of my early TV show crushes, think I was around nine when Annie Oakley was on.

Schofield3
September 22, 2009, 11:31 AM
Well, the one in the last picture.... is a fire extinguisher

Hahahaha, that just made the morning worth while.

jim in Anchorage
September 23, 2009, 12:15 AM
I enjoy the fact that we have a couple dozen posts on this Mayberry thread, while truly vital gun topics get only a handful. We have our priorities.
Gees I will immediately start a new best AR upper thread.
Do you have to put a quarter in your computer to read a thread to decide if it's worth your time?

Mal H
September 23, 2009, 12:53 AM
The lady skeet shooter was actress Gail Davis.Wow! I was just about to post almost the exact same things you did (including the crush part). :)

The skeet shooting episode is one of my favorites. Andy learned that not all women need to be coddled and carefully taught how to shoot like a man. Gail Davis did her own shooting and really put him in his place. In today's world it would be like taking Danica Patrick on a date to teach her how to drive - "First push in the clutch with your left foot, then ease the stick into first gear ... don't worry you'll get the hang of it soon." :D

Moonclip
September 23, 2009, 09:15 PM
Yes there is an escaped convict type episode where Andy arms himself with a long gun, don't remember what. There is also an episode where an ex con that Andy had rehabilitated brings Andy a shotgun as a gift.

If you enjoyed reading about "Can anybody ID these from Mayberry?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!