Do most of the women gun owners in your family clean their own guns?

PDA

jakemccoy
September 20, 2009, 04:34 PM
This question is intended to get information on what other men handle this situation. My mom and sister each want to own their own handgun. Unfortunately, their guns will be two more guns that I'll have to clean. There's just no way they're going to maintain and clean their guns after coming from the range. It's just not going to happen. I figure that I'll have to take one for the team in order to get two new shooters on board.

Inevitably, somebody will respond that any gun owner must learn how to clean their own guns. Well, that would be nice in an ideal world. However, again, it's just not going to happen with the women in my life. Nevertheless, I'd like to see them as gun owners.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do most of the women gun owners in your family clean their own guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Shung
September 20, 2009, 04:36 PM
get them glocks !

who the **** clean his glock, anyway !?

nah really, you can shoot hundreds of rounds with your glock without having to clean it and NO malfuction !

OurSafeHome.net
September 20, 2009, 04:39 PM
Get them stainless steel revolvers.:)

Mags
September 20, 2009, 04:43 PM
I clean my wife's and my buddy cleans his girlfriend's gun. But it isn't about them being to lazy or not knowing the assembly/disassembly. It is more about ensuring the person you love has a 100 percent reliable firearm. If you care you will also be checking their firearm's condition too, whether it be a Glock, revolver, or a 1911.

MountainBear
September 20, 2009, 04:49 PM
No one in the family cleans their own guns. That's why they have me. I do all the cleaning, upgrading, maintenance, and repair.

September 20, 2009, 04:53 PM
Not exactly an answer to your question but I got a kick out of this when I heard this. My mother told me this and she didn't think anything of it.
Let me set this up by saying that my mother is now 92 years old, so this would have been in the 1920s and 1930s in a rural area but anyway............
When my grandfather would come home from hunting, he handed the game animals to his wife and the gun to his kids (all girls). The wife cleaned and then cooked the game and the kids cleaned the gun.

Those were the days.

Dr.Rob
September 20, 2009, 04:55 PM
Plenty of guys I know don't clean thier guns. One was an ex-marine.

Had a lady friend of mine invite me over for dinner if I cleaned her guns. It was a nice trade. She hadn't fired them in forever, just thought they should be 'checked over'. She had a very nice .32 Walther and a Ruger Mark1. I made a point to show her how to take both of them apart and put them back together and proper cleaning.

jakemccoy
September 20, 2009, 04:55 PM
Just to be clear, the question is NOT about proving any kind of point about women in general. Please, let's not get this thread locked. The original question is just to compare notes. I was thinking that maybe, just maybe, men would talk about how their significant others like to sit next to them at the bench and clean their own guns...just wondering.

telomerase
September 20, 2009, 05:01 PM
She had a very nice .32 Walther and a Ruger Mark1. I made a point to show her how to take both of them apart

Pretty serious legal move. Staying long enough to teach someone to reassemble a Ruger auto constitutes common law marriage in 37 states.

Oh, wait, sorry, you just showed her how to take it apart :D

dkk73
September 20, 2009, 05:11 PM
Surprising thread. I've actually been thinking about this recently. No, my wife doesn't clean her own guns. Not that she's lazy or philosophically-opposed. Just a specialization of labor. She's competent but I'm the gear-head of the family. Machines talk to me about their personal problems, and likewise. :)

My attitude is that it is one more job that may make her put off or not want to be involved in shooting (we're both super-busy with multiple jobs in-home and out). You know how minor obstacles accumulate in the mind.

rbernie
September 20, 2009, 05:18 PM
I clean the guns and my wife cleans the cat throw-up.

Seems like a fair trade.

happygeek
September 20, 2009, 05:26 PM
The wife has been cleaning her Walther P22 since she got it. I cleaned her AR-15 in 22 LR for a little while, then showed her how to. She cleans or helps clean other guns like my Beretta when she shoots them.

Mousegun
September 20, 2009, 05:50 PM
No, none of them do and the only woman in my family is my wife.

springmom
September 20, 2009, 07:21 PM
Yes i do. Every time. Although occasionally one of us will clean the other's guns just because the one is the first to sit down and start the cleaning. For instance, if I'm cooking supper, Archerandshooter may volunteer to clean mine, or vice versa.

If my hands are hurting badly, I have been known to let him put my 1911's back together, though. That can be painful sometimes.

Jan

Floppy_D
September 20, 2009, 07:28 PM
My wife can take apart a Ruger MkIII and reassemble it without help, so she's exempt. Sometimes we clean 'em together. Usually I do while she's watching garbage on TV.

kda
September 20, 2009, 08:39 PM
My wife enjoys carrying, shooting and yes, even cleaning. We do enjoy working together and doing similar things, even gun cleaning. I am glad because I figure she should know how, I'm getting older now and she will no doubt out live me.

ribbit
September 20, 2009, 08:45 PM
I'm still using rentals, but...

I'm the shooter so if I don't clean it, who will? Think I'm gonna let DH near any of my babies? :evil:

rightside
September 20, 2009, 08:51 PM
I have a hard enough time getting my wife out to shoot, she just does not like it.:banghead:

9MMare
September 20, 2009, 08:57 PM
Just a specialization of labor. She's competent but I'm the gear-head of the family. .

LOL

Exactly and I bet there are many such specializations in every household. Laundry, cooking, cars, garbage, mending, heavy lifting, etc.

I have yet to clean my gun that I got a month ago, but that doesnt mean much...I hate cleaning in general.

(I'm also afraid I wont get it back together again)

effengee
September 20, 2009, 09:22 PM
Actually, I've never had a problem with cleaning anybody's guns...
I've made some good extra cash doing the dirty work for friends.
As my sig line says:
I just can't get enough of things that go BANG!

Many years ago I had a friend who had a brand-new Mossberg 500 that got a little surface rust on it. Not knowing any better he put vegetable oil all over the gun and two days later it was a nasty sticky mess.
He knew I was a gun nut and not the kind to rake him over the coals for his mistake. Having owned a Mossy 500 since I was 16 it was nothing to tear his apart and do a full clean out. I mean toothbrush and Q-tips... I also used an old sonic jewelry cleanser to get all the crud out of the bolt and off the other parts like the screws and such. (Works great!) When it was all done I rubbed it down with a few dots of Kleen-bore brand gun conditioner. (Also works great!) He was so happy he didn't even care about his mistake and told anybody that would listen about how I had saved his gun...
Got a few other guys and girls to ask about having their guns fixed/cleaned.

To me it doesn't matter if I have to clean them, I'd rather do it to ensure the safety/maintenance level is kept up to my standards, and I also take every chance I get to sit around with a gun in my hands:D

ShadyScott999
September 20, 2009, 09:31 PM
Should have had an option.... Are you kidding me?

:)

NMGonzo
September 20, 2009, 10:39 PM
I am so happy that my sweetie comes shooting that I don't mind the cleaning!

Rembrandt
September 20, 2009, 10:48 PM
Yep...she just throws in the dish washer with the plates and silverware, thank goodness for stainless steel.

hso
September 20, 2009, 10:52 PM
There's no companionable sitting down and cleaning firearms together, but my wife cleans her own or I will depending upon who has the time.

My daughter helps clean her's, but she's only 11.

walker944
September 20, 2009, 10:55 PM
I do all the gun cleaning in our home. It's just me, wife and 16 yr old daughter. I really don't mind. I clean them all once a year or so. In the meantime they all get wiped-down after shooting.

Ed4032
September 20, 2009, 10:57 PM
And... they don't clean the fish they catch either.

CajunBass
September 21, 2009, 08:01 AM
My wife used to clean hers and mine. Since she got sick and almost died a couple of years ago, she can't anymore, but I'm just glad to have her still with me to go shooting with once in a while.

I'll clean her gun for her.

AKElroy
September 21, 2009, 08:08 AM
1. I won't let her, I've eaten her cooking.

2. She has no clue how to do it, and takes instruction from me badly; which is to say, she doesn't take it at all.

3. She---And I hate to make this public, gulp-------Hates the smell of Hoppes #9.

4. She is an angel, but in the interest of marital bliss & another 20 years of happiness, I will also refrain from expecting her to butcher game, change the oil in my truck, clean my K&N's, shine my shoes or cut my hair.

5. All of the above will also apply to reloading; I have way yonder too much life insurance to take that risk.

wally
September 21, 2009, 09:38 AM
Call us Neanderthals, but we still believe some work is best done by men and others by women. My wife doesn't clean guns or work on cars and I don't cook or run the vacuum cleaner (except for the shop vac out in the garage).

--wally.

danprkr
September 21, 2009, 09:46 AM
I have a hard enough time getting my wife out to shoot, she just does not like it.

My situation exactly.

kanook
September 21, 2009, 10:09 AM
not only does she clean her own firearms, she builds them. She will watch me and copy what I've done. If she wants a scope, I'll set it up and she finishes it.

When I hunt, she hunts. She helps clean and process the harvest. On saturday night she help bring in our third gator, 8'10". The wife held the line while I hit it in the head with a bangstick.

Dr.Rob
September 21, 2009, 01:19 PM
Don't think my mom ever cleaned a firearm. Though I do recall her making breakfast while dad and I or brother and I cleaned them.

Quilbilly
September 21, 2009, 03:34 PM
Are you kidding? That cleaning stuff smells! I am still working on her unhooking her fish by herself.

DeadLiver
September 21, 2009, 03:55 PM
My wife is not mechanically inclined. Period. Nor can she cook. I cook dinner, she washes the dishes and eats leftovers for lunch. We go shooting, I clean the guns. We go fishing I clean and cook the fish. I bathe the kids and she cleans up the house after them. We've pretty much settled into a natural division of labor. I hate cleaning the house or dishes, but I take care of the things I'm good at. As her friends are envious of her, I think we do just fine.

CoRoMo
September 21, 2009, 06:20 PM
I'd just be satisfied if she would shoot them.

ezypikns
September 21, 2009, 06:24 PM
I am so happy that my sweetie comes shooting that I don't mind the cleaning!

And, yes, I unhook and clean the fish too.

CooperThunder
September 21, 2009, 06:42 PM
When I first went with the boys to shoot at a friend's friend private property in Warrenton, the next day I had a good time with them learning how to disassembled my gun and learning how to clean it. Since then I have always cleaned my own gun next day after shooting. Every now and then I do not know how and why I cannot disassemble my gun and asked for help but I like to think I am independent enough to do it myself. While my friends in Ozland envy me for owning and using a gun, I pride myself in having one, so I think it is just fair that I clean my own gun myself.

texas bulldog
September 21, 2009, 06:49 PM
well, there's cleaning and there's cleaning.

with much prodding, i can get my wife to clean a gun on the rare instances she actually practices with one. but then i end up cleaning it again anyway, because my standards for gun cleaning are much higher. so that's the downside.

on the upside, she does the vast majority of all other household cleaning (dishes, laundry, sweeping, dirty diapers, etc, etc, etc). and i think it's safe to say that her standards are much higher than mine in those areas. so i'd say that my occasional cleaning of a gun for her is more than made up by what she does for the household.

i say pick your battles carefully. i also think it's worth cleaning their guns to get them into shooting. it might save their life one day.

Merkelman
September 21, 2009, 09:34 PM
I clean the guns, she cleans the house, dishes and toilets! Life, just like it was meant to be.

CooperThunder
September 21, 2009, 09:39 PM
Hmmm...I am good at cleaning and organizing the house too, but when it comes to cleaning my gun, I am such a newbie cleaner and DH knows this so after cleaning it, I always asks him to inspect it just in case I had forgotten a little bit here and there like lubricating the trigger. He likes to make sure I did it well, too...but still I do not want to allow him to clean it and he always encourages me to do it myself. I think I am a gun-nut or something and I prefer to have another gun as a wedding anniversary gift in the next few days than agree to go to Barbados or the Phantom of the Opera. I had seen the latter twice and been involved in stage designing for a good while when I was living full time in Melbourne so that is no big loss...Barbados? I haven't been though I had travelled a lot (and still do) for photographic assignments, but another gun to practice on? That will be heaven to have!!! and clean as well...I'd like to think I will be proficient in both cleaning and shooting one day...:rolleyes:

FROGO207
September 21, 2009, 10:19 PM
Where do you go to trade in a GF for a wife that will clean up cat yak!:confused:

Seriously all the females in my life-the ones that shoot anyway,can and are most willing to maintain the armor as well as the home. There are more arguments at family outings about who will shoot what than anything else.:D She always says she can't see why we don't argue about something important.:rolleyes: She sure can make a doughnut out of a target though. :eek: BTW I am not so blessed.:banghead: Be assured the rest of the family adores her.:cool:

woodsoup
September 21, 2009, 10:27 PM
I clean them all. The wifes, the nephews, the neices and when she comes home the daughters. If I didn't There would be wimmin and younguns in the man cave!!! That's reason enough.

EP1990
September 21, 2009, 10:37 PM
Ive tried to teach my sister and my mom to do it, both know how, they just don't. But its alright, i like cleaning them anyways.

KarenTOC
September 21, 2009, 10:47 PM
I voted "yes" because I clean my own guns. If I didn't they wouldn't get clean. Besides, I actually enjoy it.

taliv
September 21, 2009, 10:50 PM
i voted no because i don't clean my guns. my wife and daughter don't clean their guns either.

gunslngr1
September 22, 2009, 12:06 AM
Exactly, I have shot thousands of rounds through my "practice" glock and never cleaned it - not a single malfunction . . . . but I still wouldn't try it with my non-practice gun.

bikerdoc
September 22, 2009, 12:14 PM
We must be unusual or wierd, not sure. She can do anything. Right beside me shoulder to shoulder and look good doing it. Then again pushing 60 has given us many years of practice.
Y'all should be so blessed.

Shooter64738
September 22, 2009, 02:52 PM
My wife doesn't just clean her own, we clean the entire collection. Then trade guns and inspect each others work. We also shoot together, took our ccw class together, took hand gun courses together, took instructor courses together, and reload together. In fact everyone in my family does it together. It's the most fun we've ever had. And after years, we still do it just about every weekend.

RCB
September 22, 2009, 03:11 PM
My mother cleaned her own guns, but other then that they aren't that into the hobby. However, my wife is much more interested. Just getting her into guns. She was raised in the city and never had any contact with them before getting together with me. She's a solid aim though. I know she will probably start cleaning her own shortly. She gets mad at me when if she is trying to work on the car and I offer to do it. She likes being capable.

HardShell
September 22, 2009, 03:18 PM
Nope.

My wife carries daily and has her own guns for SD, HD, and hunting... but I do all of the maintenance on them.

She is quite squared away on their operation and could do it if need be, but she is very sensitive to strong odors and doesn't like being around the solvents, oils, etc.

She does so much, above and beyond, for me and the kids all day/every day that I don't mind doing this for her, along with a few other chores she just doesn't particularly care for (vacuuming also comes immediately to mind -- she hates it and I don't mind it).

ChCx2744
September 22, 2009, 03:31 PM
wally said:
we still believe some work is best done by men and others by women. My wife doesn't clean guns or work on cars and I don't cook or run the vacuum cleaner

+1

I clean all the guns

bigfatdave
September 22, 2009, 04:06 PM
One of us breaks them down, cleans them, and re-assembles ... the other function checks and puts them away after a final wipe-down.

I probably do the cleaning portion more often, but not by much. It is odd to come home to a pile of guns needing a function check and storage.
And yes, I trust MrsBFD to properly clean my CC pistol, and to do basic maintenance on it.

sfc_mark
September 22, 2009, 06:19 PM
I don't believe my wife has ever cleaned her S&W 581 .357 Magnum, but then again, I can't get her to accompany me to the range any more, so she's not the one who gets it dirty.

This week my daughter gets her first gun, a Charles Daly youth 20 gauge autoloader. The day we ordered it last week she asked if she's getting her own cleaning kit. When we open the box we'll read the instructions first and she'll learn to do the initial cleaning and maintain it for herself from then on (with supervision/assistance as needed).

I've already told her I won't be her gun cleaning drudge. This caused my son to ask his wife "did you hear that?" She dirties up the guns on a regular basis and my son does all the cleaning.

mustang_steve
September 22, 2009, 08:21 PM
no family here, but I do offer up to clean anyone's firearms that needs it. I used to have a neighbor that had a mossberg shotgun that although he never used, he liked keeping it clean to ensure if he ever needs to use it in defense, it was ready.

He used to have me come over and clean it in exchange for Arby's (my gold standard bribe...arby's beef and cheddar, many packs of horsie sauce for the fries, curly fries and a coke....there's only a few things I won't do if this offering is compensation).

Ala Dan
September 22, 2009, 08:24 PM
Not hardly~! :eek:

I do all of the firearms cleaning, myself- NOBODY ELSE. ;) :cool:

Mr. Bojangles
September 23, 2009, 04:22 AM
My wife told me she would clean her own firearms when I started doing my own cooking. Apparently Pizza Hut delivery does not qualify as my own cooking. :scrutiny:

If you enjoyed reading about "Do most of the women gun owners in your family clean their own guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!