Rust... what to do?

PDA

zhyla
September 20, 2009, 05:00 PM
I've got a Taurus PT-92. It's got an aluminum frame (clear anodized, I think) and nickel plated everything else. The nickel is pitting in a lot of areas and even rusting thru here and there. The worst parts are the safety lever, slide release, and grip screws.

I've thought about duracoating it. One problem is these things are a pain to fully disassemble. The other is most of the barrel is exposed and I think the duracoat would show wear there quickly. I'm not sure about that though, the nickel doesn't really show any wear other than where the slide hides the barrel. I'm not ruling it out, just looking for alternatives.

Any other ideas?

If you enjoyed reading about "Rust... what to do?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sport45
September 20, 2009, 10:14 PM
PM Mac's (a member of this forum) and send him a picture or two. He can re-nickel it or put his coating on it. In any case he can probably make it pretty again for $60 to $150 depending on what you want done.

Mac's Shootin' Irons (http://www.shootiniron.com/)

hotshotshoting
September 21, 2009, 05:35 PM
the short and skinny is you need to keep a thin film of oil on your guns or you will incur rust issues...

if you really want to take the rust off your gun already the best way is with the finest steel wool you can find and hoppes #9 ... just dip the steel wool in and make small circles (wax on wax off) and then apply oil at that point you can see how pitted it has become and decide if it needs refinishing.

zhyla
September 21, 2009, 11:29 PM
Thanks hotshot. I took some steel wool and oil (misread your post about hoppes) and rubbed on the affected areas. Removed most of it. If I can keep it in its current condition it should be fine.

I've oiled it up pretty good. Part of the problem is its been stored in a foam-lined carrying case. Apparently these hold moisture well. Now I know better.

CWL
September 22, 2009, 02:10 PM
If you have problems with oil migrating away from your needed spots, use car wax (or paste wax or Renaissance wax) on the exposed metal of the gun. It will stay in place, give a nice sheen and won't stain your clothes.

Noveldoc
September 22, 2009, 09:15 PM
Blue Magic makes a very nice gun finish, sort of a silicone based wax like product.

Also their cleaner and ultra fine steel wool can cut rust you did not know you had.

Tom

hotshotshoting
September 22, 2009, 11:04 PM
anytime buddy im glad it helped !

basically silica packs are your friend and anything that covers the metal so that the natural elements get to it is your friend!

the one thing you dont want on a carry gun however is to much oil which is why you need to wipe the gun down with say a silicon gun cloth regularly!

however a generous amount of oil sitting on the gun is great for when you have to store the firearm!

also you probably dont realize how many silica packages you get (they are in almost every package you receive these days not to mention almost every pill bottle! save them!)

If you enjoyed reading about "Rust... what to do?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!