Custom Parts for S&W Model 28?

PDA

md2lgyk
September 21, 2009, 01:13 PM
Just to be different and "old school" I shot the centerfire portion of a bullseye match this weekend with my 4" S&W Model 28. What a hoot! Using .38 Spl. 130 gr. Winchester white box, I shot better than I usually do with my match-grade 1911. Not having fired any revolver in a few years, I was amazed how little recoil there was. Think I'll be doing more of this.

Now to the question: is there somewhere I could get a match hammer (and maybe trigger too) for this gun? The only real problem I had was cocking the hammer during timed and rapid fire.

If you enjoyed reading about "Custom Parts for S&W Model 28?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
middy
September 21, 2009, 01:36 PM
Why not shoot it double-action?

Maxw
September 21, 2009, 01:47 PM
Find an ICORE club and start shooting those matches and you will really learn DA revolver shooting.

md2lgyk
September 21, 2009, 02:10 PM
Bullseye (NRA Conventional Pistol et. al.) is shot with one hand. It'd be REALLY hard to do it double action. That's why target revolvers like the K-38 have a hammer spur that's wider and lower so it's easier to cock while maintaining your grip.

Don't know what ICORE is, but I have no desire to learn DA revolver shooting.

rcmodel
September 21, 2009, 02:27 PM
Switching to 148 grain Wad-Cutter match ammo will for sure improve your scores over WWB FMJ ammo. It is not only way more accurate, but the WC will sometimes cut a scoring ring a RN would have slipped by.

Any N-Frame target hammer of similiar vintage will fit your Highway Patrolman, but may not work with your existing trigger to give as good a SA pull as you already have.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=34624/sku/Hammer_Assembly___500___Target__Blue

It appears S&W is out of the old forged target triggers, and all I see now are new MIM smooth triggers, which you don't want. Trust me on this!

The timed & rapid cocking will come with more practice, even with your narrow hammer.

rc

Old Fuff
September 21, 2009, 02:33 PM
For a hammer and trigger try:

www.e-gunparts.com

www.brownells.com

If you get serious about shooting Center Fire with a revolver (and ther's no reason you shouldn't) consider buying a used Model 14 or a Colt Officers Model Match or Officers Model Match. Also switch from the white box stuff to 148-grain mid-range wadcutters. They are more accurate, easier on your barrel, and have about the same amount of recoil.

If you should buy a Model 14 (K-frame) Numrich (e-gunparts.com mentioned above) has or had a S&W manufactured optional hammer & trigger set that eliminates the double-action feature and shortens the single-action cocking stroke.

Refering to RCmodel's post:

Smith & Wesson post 1947/ K, L and N frame revolvers use the same trigger, but in each case the hammers are different. Keep this in mind while you look around.

earplug
September 21, 2009, 02:55 PM
I have had good results in buying used parts on GunBroker.
I think many of the parts came off destroyed weapons that had the parts taken off prior to cutting the frame. Just a guess.
You might just bite the bullet and buy a dedicated bullseye revolver.

md2lgyk
September 21, 2009, 03:20 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I actually used to reload 148 gr. wadcutter ammo when my wife was shooting a Model 52. All my reloading stuff is in storage while we're building a house, and the white box stuff was all I could get at the local gun store. If I get serious about this I will for sure go back to reloading .38 Spl.

If you enjoyed reading about "Custom Parts for S&W Model 28?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!