Changing out controls on Sig p226

PDA

dsv424
September 22, 2009, 05:05 PM
I just purchased all nickel controls for my Sig P226 and started to dissembly it to replace them and I believe I bit off a bit more than I can chew! Has anyone done this before and is there anything I should look out for. I'm thinking about purchasing the Armorer's Course for this gun unless someone tell me how difficult this may be. I'd hate to get myself into no mans land.:eek:

If you enjoyed reading about "Changing out controls on Sig p226" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Gik-tal
September 22, 2009, 06:33 PM
If you purchase the Sig Sauer Armorer's course DVD produced by CWWeapons they give simple easy to follow steps to remove and reinstall all parts. It is not too hard if you can follow along.

rellascout
September 22, 2009, 07:07 PM
http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-sauer-armorers-course-dvd_p-series.html

This is the best one on the market.

Muddflap
September 22, 2009, 08:23 PM
What rella said.
Sigs are not hard to work on if you have the DVD.

Be dang careful with the mag release.

gb6491
September 23, 2009, 12:19 AM
Be dang careful with the mag release.
+1, BE DANG CAREFUL! with the mag release.
Regards,
Greg

dsv424
September 23, 2009, 10:14 AM
I have decided to wait until I get the DVD before starting. But you got me curious about the mag release. What do you mean? What can go wrong?

gb6491
September 23, 2009, 01:42 PM
There is a small spring loaded plunger that holds the magazine catch in the frame. You need to depress it with a small tool to remove the catch. You have to be careful when reinstalling that plunger. It can be put back in 180 degrees out of position. If that occurs the latch will not extended far enough out of the frame to function or far enough to remove the plunger. That will most likely require a trip back to the mother ship for repair. In the past some people have tried to drive the catch out with a punch and damaged the frame (see photo here (http://thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=4373246&postcount=12)). One fellow did have success by (in his own words): "I was able to get it out by taking a .003" feeler gauge that I cut in half and use it as a type of shoe horn."
Regards,
Greg

If you enjoyed reading about "Changing out controls on Sig p226" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!