does concealed carry transfer to other states?

PDA

Juggaloninja
September 22, 2009, 09:52 PM
if ive got a concealed carry permit in VA am i legaly allowed to carry into NC and MD?

If you enjoyed reading about "does concealed carry transfer to other states?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PTK
September 22, 2009, 10:03 PM
It depends. www.handgunlaw.us is a good place to check, along with calling the states you intend to travel to and speaking with the state police force. :)

kingpin008
September 22, 2009, 10:43 PM
Correct. As of yet, there is no nation-wide reciprocity. If there were, why would there be state-issued permits to begin with?

edstephan
September 22, 2009, 11:00 PM
Va CCW is good in NC but not MD
MD reconizes no other states same as NJ and NY

An OC Activist and 1 of the 3%
Ed Stephan

gunlaw
September 22, 2009, 11:16 PM
Missouri allows ccw from all states that are shall issue

NavyLCDR
September 23, 2009, 11:52 AM
If you haven't figured it out yet, it depends upon the state laws that you are travelling to, whether or not they honor the permit that you have. It does not matter what permits your own state honors.

benminer
September 23, 2009, 01:19 PM
along with calling the states you intend to travel to and speaking with the state police force. :)

What? Who actually does this? And why? The reciprocity arrangements are very clear.

bigfatdave
September 23, 2009, 06:15 PM
It depends. www.handgunlaw.us is a good place to check, along with calling the states you intend to travel to and speaking with the state police force.
First reply got it right.
Check www.handgunlaw.us for a summary and then double-check through the links to the state's official policies regarding CC.

chris in va
September 24, 2009, 08:33 AM
What? Who actually does this? And why? The reciprocity arrangements are very clear

I did when I moved to KY. There are a few things on Handgunlaw.us that aren't clear, and quite a few omissions such as carry on K-12 property when dropping off your kid. Also very little open carry info is available.

Granted you don't just call the State Police office and expect them to know the correct law, you have to speak with the issuing CC permit authority. The local one here was very helpful and informative.

bikerdoc
September 24, 2009, 08:55 AM
Va CCW is good in NC but not MD

Ed got it right

Juggaloninja
September 24, 2009, 05:58 PM
thanks ed and bikerdoc simple answer for a simple question, thats all i needed

edstephan
September 24, 2009, 06:49 PM
I have a Pa LTCF (License to Carry Firearms) Utah CCW, and New Hampshire CCW. I have also sent in for CT, and Mass. I travel allot for work. I'm currently covered in 36 states.

I would recommend along with your Va CCW, you get either Utah or Flordia.

If you go to www.handgunlaw.us and click on "create license map" and select the permits/licenses you have it will map all the states you can carry in.

An OC Activist and 1 of the 3%
Ed Stephan

If you enjoyed reading about "does concealed carry transfer to other states?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!