What to do with a Russian SKS 7.62

PDA

9mm+
September 24, 2009, 05:19 PM
I wandered into my local shop today and ended up buying a good quality Russian SKS 7.62 (with matching serial numbers on stock and receiver) circa 1950. This was a total impulse buy -- I have no idea why I bought it, other than I thought it looked like a bargain. I think I may have been weary from my recent road trip and wasn't thinking straight...I seldom buy on impulse like this... :)

There are no gouges in the stock and the metal is is good shape. I have never bought a Russian firearm before, but I think I got a good deal on this one (asking price was $600).

Now what to do with it? I can't fire it in my local indoor range, so I'll need to fire it at the county outdoor one instead. It would make a good hunting rifle for medium game (with HP's), but I don't do much hunting anymore. Since the barrel and trigger are not match-quality, there's not much chance of it winning any local competitions (but, hey, I can always bayonet the winners and steal their trophies instead... :D ).

Anywho, I have a new toy to play with and I will post photos later of it. Any pros out there with the Russian SKS, please feel free to send me some "pointers" (bayonet notwithstanding).

If you enjoyed reading about "What to do with a Russian SKS 7.62" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HoosierQ
September 24, 2009, 05:27 PM
Well Russian SKSs are highly sought and well thought off. I want one real bad...any one of the nicer SKSs.

Russian firearms are great. I wouldn't want a Russian XRAY machine but they make really good, if not pretty, firearms.

I think you have a very good, handy, reliable, accurate, powerful, rifle that will serve you well in many situations.

Can't say what kind of price you got. They asked $600 you say. That seems high but I don't know what Russians are going for.

gun addict
September 24, 2009, 05:36 PM
i'm gonna concur, $600 is way too much for a Russian SKS. What year is it? Is it a refurb? (polished or blued bolt carrier)

If nothing else, enjoy the carbine as it is, you can go deer hunting with it as a 7.62x39 is on par with the .30-30. I would also HIGHLY recommend you against any modification on the gun, don't put any plastic stock, laser, scope, 30 round mags on your 1945 designed SKS, ppllleeeeassessssseee

:)

9mm+
September 24, 2009, 06:35 PM
Thanks, guys! It's a 1950 SKS and everything looks orginal. The bolt is blue and not polished. And, although this rifle has an ugly recoil pad on it (which I will remove), I will not add any accessories to this Russian beauty. It will shoot "as is"... :)

gun addict
September 24, 2009, 07:03 PM
1950s dated Russian SKS are fairly rare, enjoy!

ctdair
September 24, 2009, 07:20 PM
Blued bolt equals arsenal rebuild. I own one no problems would buy another given the chance. Polished bolt equals original not refinished collectors will pay more. Of course there are exceptions to every rule but blued bolt is a dead give
away.

Old Jimmy
September 24, 2009, 07:30 PM
I own 2 chinese and 2 russian and I love em. It gives you something else to shoot in the same caliber as a AK and you only have to carry 1 type ammo to the shooting line...

eatont9999
September 24, 2009, 07:40 PM
I don't know if you got a "deal." I saw a nice looking tiger striped ruskie at my usual haunt for something like $350.00. Being me and the volume I buy and history I have there, I probably could have brought it home for $320. I wasn't looking for an SKS that day, though, but I did notice it was a good deal. I wound up taking home a VZ-52 rifle for like $500 with a bunch of ammo. This was maybe a month or less ago.

9mm+
September 24, 2009, 09:11 PM
Thanks again, everyone...much appreciated! One question on restoration, though -- should I have the stock and metal refinished by a professional? Not that I expect this SKS to be a major collectible, mind you, but I do think it would benefit from some professional TLC. If some restoration work would destroy any value in the SKS, though, I would certainly forego it.

All of my firearms are modern (except for the SKS), so I am in some new territory with a 1950's Russian rifle.

Thoughts on this? Thanks in advance!

zoom6zoom
September 24, 2009, 09:21 PM
I'd recommend a thorough cleaning, but otherwise hold off on any refinishing.

kis2
September 24, 2009, 09:21 PM
its all about what you want to do with it, but in general, refinishing a collectible decreases value. if youre looking to change up the look, you might try some of the aftermarket stocks.

and go have fun plinking with it.

get some pics up!

gun addict
September 24, 2009, 09:23 PM
short answer is : No
long answer is..........don't do it?

Look at C&R firearms as antique cars, refinishing them would decrease its historical and collector's value

9mm+
September 24, 2009, 09:25 PM
Ok, guys, thanks...I will post some photos over the weekend (or by Monday at the latest). I will give it a thorough cleaning but will skip any refinishing. Thanks!

zhyla
September 24, 2009, 10:48 PM
I've got a '51 Russian SKS. I don't remember how much I paid for it, but I do remember I dug up the cash by going thru each pocket of every pair of pants I had. I'm amazed how much they go for these days.

AZAviator
September 25, 2009, 01:28 AM
Yeah and Im amazed people still pay those prices for them. I dont want to be a downer but you payed too much for that gun. Some of these gun stores charge criminal amounts to guns they buy for pennies. I think $400 is alot for an AK47 considering some factory in China or Romania is pumping them out by the container. For $600 Im buying an original German Mauser or spending a few hundred more for a M1 Garand.

Not that it matters anymore but "Excellent Condition SKS" sold by Impact for $350 w/free shipping FYI

krs
September 25, 2009, 02:38 AM
I've seen them SOLD in GB for as much as $1200. and that means that there is no short answer to the question of a fair or reasonable price. Like most everything - if you want, you pay the frieght. Goes for speedboats, goes for cars, and goes for guns.

No reason to spout lofty recriminations to anyone who may have paid more than you think is right for any gun. The point really is that he's got the gun and you've got your mouth, right?

The_Pretender
September 25, 2009, 02:42 AM
$600 is way too much. At least it feels that way. But I'll be damned if they don't want that much for them these days. Saw a yugo one for 500 and a "romanian" one for 375 at the last show.

I paid $275 for my 1953 Tula arsenal SKS almost 3 years ago. It was at a large show. Yugo models were going for $115. Got 1000 rounds of wolf for $160 that day too. Crazy how a couple years make a difference.

I went with a friend a few months ago, and he paid 500 for a Russian. I thought it was steep, but compared to everything else in the show, it was the best "deal".

A few years down the road, you probably won't miss the extra cash. And you will have a beautiful rifle to show for it. Please don't change anything on it.

When you say the bolt is blued, do you mean a flat black?

AZAviator
September 25, 2009, 03:44 AM
I've seen them SOLD in GB for as much as $1200. and that means that there is no short answer to the question of a fair or reasonable price. Like most everything - if you want, you pay the frieght. Goes for speedboats, goes for cars, and goes for guns.

No reason to spout lofty recriminations to anyone who may have paid more than you think is right for any gun. The point really is that he's got the gun and you've got your mouth, right?

Well I agree its all relative but that doesnt make it right. And Im not 'spouting' anything, just saying he over payed for today prices. Also GB is a horrible comparison, your gun prices are screwed.

I agree btw, dont change the gun. They are awesome as is - BTW Does your SKS have the grenade launcher sights?

Crawfish141
September 25, 2009, 04:29 AM
http://i40.tinypic.com/24mfcso.jpg

I like mine.

krs
September 25, 2009, 11:07 AM
Like mine too, but happy to sell for $600.:)

And Im not 'spouting' anything, just saying Got it. Not 'spouting - just 'saying'......:rolleyes:Also GB is a horrible comparison, your gun prices are screwed Those aren't "my" prices - lots of folks buy guns in gunbroker.

shaggy430
September 25, 2009, 11:17 AM
$600 :what: I've got a 88 Suzuki ATV, no engine, but I'll let it go for $15,000.

maskedman504
September 25, 2009, 11:47 AM
People will tell you that you payed too much; maybe you did. They will tell you how they bought truckloads of Russian SKS rifles in 1987 for $65. The facts are Russian SKS rifles are getting more rare and the value of them is ever increasing. It is a reliable, cheap to feed and easy to maintain semi-automatic carbine in a common caliber. Good buy!

And I like mine. Yugo and a Ruskie.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc99/maskedman504/SKS-sbscopy.jpg

FMJMIKE
September 25, 2009, 10:49 PM
Hmmmm.................. $400 is a good price for a Russian SKS. I paid $100 a piece for them in 1990.

lobo9er
September 25, 2009, 10:58 PM
sks's are going up in price no doubt. 400 isn't bad for a russian at all. 1990 was 20 years ago. and as far as holding value a russian sks is solid investment. Enjoy it.

maskedman504
September 25, 2009, 11:53 PM
If you consider a good investment is one that doubles every 7 years (this is the aim of the financial advisor that manages my retirement fund), then a Russian SKS purchased for $100 in 1990 should be worth $800 by the year 2011. Not quite a good 'investment' - but better than alot. :p

BornLoser
September 25, 2009, 11:54 PM
I love my SKS. It belonged to my Grandad. I put a Druganov stock on it and it's a joy to shoot. I ended up losing the cleaning rod bayonette somewhere though.
What you need now, are Stripper Clips. Keep the 10 shot mag box on it unless you plan to get a conversion kit for it to take AK mags.. which you can do. One thing I learned, is that SKS mags are fairly hard to change out, and they screw up when you try to use a stripper clip on them. Whenever I tried pushing the bullets down in mine, it would unlock the bolt and it would throw the stripper clip off track and the bullets wouldn't go down. I don't seem to have this problem with the orginal mag box.

As my daddy once told me: "It's the worlds best 10 shot battle rifle"

AZAviator
September 28, 2009, 02:41 AM
Those aren't "my" prices - lots of folks buy guns in gunbroker

Im sorry, I thought you ment Great Britain :banghead:

MachIVshooter
September 28, 2009, 09:08 AM
$600 seems rather steep to me, but I remember when you could buy Yugo's for $79.95 at the local shop (only a few short years ago). I paid $350 for my laminate stock '53 Tula BBQ at a show in 2006.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/TulaSKS.jpg

stubbicatt
September 28, 2009, 11:46 AM
The 1949 and 1950 rifles have different barrel tenons on the receiver, and consequently bring more money as they are relatively rare. If it were otherwise in original nick, $600 is not too much over the top for one.

The run of the mill Tula 1954s will bring maybe $400, Izhevsk's a bit more.

Marlin 45 carbine
September 28, 2009, 11:54 AM
since it's a rebuild the user value is worth more than the 'collector' value.
it's sort of like 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'. you got a 'fair deal' but not 'great deal'. just IMO.
I've never owned a russki but they are reputed to be reliable, accurate and durable shooters.
if you or family/friend actually needs it then it's worth far more than what you paid for it. buy some ammo on strippers and practice loading.

BRad704
September 28, 2009, 01:14 PM
I was in a local gun shop last week, and a guy brought in a Russian with the grenade stuff on it... it all looked pretty clean and average... he said he would take $150 for it, and the store owner told him that local wholesale was $90!!!! If I would have had the $150, I would have a russian in my closet today, but I think I talked the guy into just selling it himself for more (plus the store wouldnt buy it)....

9mm+
October 2, 2009, 11:29 AM
Sorry, guys, but I had some business to attend to and haven't had a chance to look over the SKS until now. I *promise* to get photos posted of it this weekend.

I looked at the receiver again and it is black and *not* blued. It doesn't look like it was reconditioned/rebuilt, but if the original bolt should be stainless, then something may be askew. Also, I paid only $300 for it, not $600, so I think I got a good deal. I do plan to shoot it at a local range once I get some strip clips for it.

stubbicatt
October 2, 2009, 07:49 PM
9mm+ look for the "diver's flag" on the receiver or receiver top cover which indicates a rebuild. Sometimes they are on the stock. I can't draw for squat with the keyboard, but it is a square with a line from upper right corner to lower left corner.

[/] sorta like that... Indicates re-arsenal.

9mm+
October 2, 2009, 11:14 PM
Thanks, Stubbicatt...I will look for it when I get the SKS out of the cabinet tomorrow. I have a good idea what you're describing re: the "diver's flag". I remember seeing this before on other firearms. Cheers.

Kernel
October 2, 2009, 11:40 PM
should I have the stock and metal refinished by a professional

ROFLOL. That’s precious.

These POS were $100 a few years ago, and THAT was a rip-off price.

chevyforlife21
October 2, 2009, 11:51 PM
russian sks were 60 bucks 8 years ago.

9mm+
October 3, 2009, 02:24 PM
ROFLOL. That’s precious.

These POS were $100 a few years ago, and THAT was a rip-off price.

I don't understand your point. What may have been true a few years ago has no bearing on an object's market value today.

.45Guy
October 3, 2009, 02:53 PM
I don't know what magical land of bargains everyone else is living in, but Chi coms weren't going for $60 8 years ago, though the Yugos were. 15-16 years ago the Chi-coms were, but the Russkis where always a tad more.

DAVIDSDIVAD
October 3, 2009, 09:46 PM
I won't EVER buy a coke for $1.00!

You used to be able to buy those for $0.05!

Cool gun, OP.

A friend is letting me use his SKS (yugo) for a while, and it's made me want a russian. (rifle, that is. I already have a girlfriend from Balakovo :) )

Sam1911
October 3, 2009, 10:04 PM
I think you probably got a very decent deal -- and can pat yourself on the back, if you like, that you didn't pay anything close to the prices some of these were being offered at in the height of the bubble.

I bought my non-refurb Tula 1954 SKS in about 1992 for $212. I had lots of friends who were buying Norincos for about $89 at the time, but I really liked the look and quality of the Russian one and $212 wasn't going to kill me, so I bought a little "high."

In 2005 I saw practically the same rifle on my Mil-Surp dealer's rack for $450. I was happy with the deal when I bought it, happy with the deal in 2005, REALLY happy with the deal in the bubble of '08-'09, and am still quite pleased.

Anyone who thinks an SKS is a rip-off at $100 is a fool. They are quite a gun. "Worth" far more than their market price. A reliable, durable, and plenty accurate semi-automatic rifle in a decent mid-range caliber for a couple hundred bucks? What's not to love about that?

For $300 you did fine -- shoot it and enjoy it. Chances are, when you've had yours 15 years (and I've had mine 30), we'll both still be plenty happy with them! :cool:

-Sam

If you enjoyed reading about "What to do with a Russian SKS 7.62" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!