first hundred rounds gone

PDA

Wilki713
September 25, 2009, 02:31 AM
Yesterday I fired off my first 100 rounds of 40 S&W with 170 gr MB 3.5 gr of W231 and CCI spp. Thanks for all the information that everyone here has given me.

One issue I had was bullets jamming. I think it is because the slide wasn't coming back far enough to fully load the new round. Am I wrong? How should I fix it? but it did seem to jam less when I fired the gun faster.( i don't think that had anything to do with it)

The other thing that I noticed was a smoke. IS this from shooting lead bullets?

Thanks again for all the help
Wilki

If you enjoyed reading about "first hundred rounds gone" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Steve C
September 25, 2009, 07:04 AM
One issue I had was bullets jamming. I think it is because the slide wasn't coming back far enough to fully load the new round. Am I wrong? How should I fix it? but it did seem to jam less when I fired the gun faster.( i don't think that had anything to do with it)

Your load is a bit light and isn't operating the slide with enough force. While the data from Hodgdon only shows 170gr jacketed bullet using W231 with a load range of 4.4gr to 5.3gr with a lead bullet a good rule of thumb is to use the start load for the jacketed as a maximum for lead of the same weight and reduce that by 10% for a lead bullet start load. Thus using 4.4grs a a max your start load would be 4.0grs.

If you up your load to around 4.0grs I think you will see an improvement in your pistols functioning.

Walkalong
September 25, 2009, 09:57 AM
Your load is a bit light and isn't operating the slide with enough force. Yep, Steve C has it pegged.

Superblackrifle
October 4, 2009, 05:04 AM
mo powda mo powda go boom

Wilki713
October 4, 2009, 11:19 PM
thanks for the help

If you enjoyed reading about "first hundred rounds gone" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!