Forster Benchrest Powder Measure?

PDA

something vague
September 25, 2009, 04:39 PM
I'm about to take the plunge into buying a new powder measure and just can't make my mind up. I was almost set on the Redding 3BR but will need both the rifle and pistol metering inserts which adds another $45 on to the price.

I ran across the Forster measure and it sounds and looks like a decent measure as I like all my Forster products. The trouble is that I can't seem to find very many reviews on this measure other than from 2 at Midway. The hopper capacity, or lack thereof, doesn't bother me at all as I can always make my own if neccessary. I'm more concerned with it's function.

What are every one's experiences or thoughts on this powder measure by Forster?

If you enjoyed reading about "Forster Benchrest Powder Measure?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mdemetz
September 25, 2009, 04:46 PM
The trouble is that I can't seem to find very many reviews on this measure other than from 2 at Midway
Did you search under the old name of Bonanza Benchrest Powder Measure? It has been around for quite a while.

something vague
September 25, 2009, 09:11 PM
Yeah I did a quick search of the Bonanza brand as well and didn't come up with much.

something vague
September 27, 2009, 11:11 AM
No one has one of these measures on this forum?

Winston_Smith
September 27, 2009, 11:18 AM
What is the range of charges you want to throw?

something vague
September 27, 2009, 12:18 PM
I need to be able to measure small pistol target loads as well as some medium size rifle loads (9mm to 30-06). Most of my charges for rifle are for my .223 and 22-250, both of which are bolt acitons. I reload these two cartridges for accuracy therefore am looking to get somewhat of an accurate powder measure +/- .1gr with balls and +/- .2gr with stick. That might be asking a lot out of a measure though. I have been using the Lee PPM for a few years and am just tired of dealing with the poor quality of parts. Powders like W296 leak through it like a sieve and other balls will get into the drum parts and bind it up a bit. The operation of the thing is not smooth, esecially after using my buddy's Redding 3br.

Rugg_Ed
September 27, 2009, 12:30 PM
I use three different brands of powder measures but for pin point accuracy I drop the load in to the scale pan and weight it to check. Same way when working up a load.
One green one blue and a brass one.

Walkalong
September 27, 2009, 12:30 PM
The Forster is probably a good measure, but I have never used one.

Harrells (http://www.harrellsprec.com/)

Redding (http://www.redding-reloading.com/pages/powdmeas.html)

The dominant powder measure in Benchrest is the Harrells. There are a few old converted Lymann 55's, a few Niel Jones, a few Reddings, etc.

Winston_Smith
September 27, 2009, 12:34 PM
Sounds like the Harrell pistol measure would work well for you. For larger rounds you can do multiple throws.

If you enjoyed reading about "Forster Benchrest Powder Measure?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!