New gun owner and father.

PDA

Happy Dude
September 27, 2009, 05:42 PM
Pending my firearms ID, I will be purchasing a 1911. One day I may buy another pistol or two. My question is what is a good safe to keep my two young twins out of. They are 1 1/2 years old and get into everything. Also the pistol will not be used primarily for home defense, it will be a range gun, so I do not consider quick access a necessity. What safe should I get for pistols, where should I mount it, etc. I am a new gun owner, any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "New gun owner and father." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PT1911
September 27, 2009, 05:55 PM
Do you plan on/do you own other guns... long guns?

I find pistol safes to be pretty usless for the most part as most are just a target for a would be thief to carry out and open later... full sized safes (10 gun or so) are available at good prices and can be used for your guns and other valuables.. I would suggest any well built safe with a DIAL COMBINATION. Do not skimp on gun safes..

Demitrios
September 27, 2009, 08:18 PM
Happy Dude is a friend of mine and I just got him started on THR. Neither does he own or plan to own any long guns, just pistols. His main focus is to get something that will keep his kids hands off his guns until they're older. What about a pistol safe that can be bolted down and has a dial? Anything like that worthwhile?

Shadow 7D
September 29, 2009, 01:52 AM
Go to walmart or what ever dry goods store in your area with an office section and look at small office lock boxes, I picked up on afew months ago on clearance. It is sheet metal with an electronic lock and I could open it with a screw driver. I have it mounted to the floor in my closet and my two year old son loves punching the buttons (especally when it starts beeping on lockout) It keeps my pistol close and out of his reach.

Cost was $35, it won't stop a burglar or anyone determined to open it, but it will stop a two year old.

P.S.
Go youtube gunsafe
you will see how easy a Residential Security Container (gunsafe) is to open
If you want to secure your firearms in a gunsafe, then take the time to learn about them and find a quality one, one member, a1abdj owns a pretty large safe company Zykansafe (sp)?
So it kinda comes to the question of what level of security are you willing to buy and what level do you need. To defeat a 2 year old, a sturdy lockbox, or almost any sturdy locking box would do, like a tool box.

macka
September 29, 2009, 09:24 AM
Anything short of a vault type safe is useless. My friends house was burglarised and they were obviously looking for his guns. He has a real vault type safe in his house that cost a chunk of change. If they can't move it, or crack it open with a prybar, your kids won't be able to either. Spend the money on a real safe, for piece of mind. The other thing to remember is little kids say the damndest things like "Daddy keeps his guns in the closet" or "we have a new gun locker in the basement", keep that in mind when you decide to buy. Kids figure stuff out right quick, I know I have a 4 year old.

oneounceload
September 29, 2009, 09:52 AM
A locking container, bolted inside a nightstand drawer that has a lock on the drawer will keep little kids out of them - not necessarily burglars. Size and weight or hiding - either method will work for burglars

eight433
September 29, 2009, 10:12 AM
I kinda like an idea i read on here earlier this week about disassembling the weapon and stashing pieces of it in different places. Not likely to prevent theft, but will ensure the gun will not be accidentally discharged or used against you. Other than that, I would opt for one of those small handgun safes, bolted down tight in a location making it hard to pry.

Sav .250
September 29, 2009, 10:38 AM
I`d start with a "trigger lock" right off the bat. Anything after that is just dressing on the cake. :)

Warhawk83
September 29, 2009, 11:13 AM
Anything after that is just dressing on the cake.

That sounds a little nasty....

On topic.. trigger lock and either a lock box or a safe. If you aren't in a high crime area a lock box is usually fine unless a juvenile delinquent lives in the neighborhood.

oneounceload
September 29, 2009, 07:29 PM
Something like this works well:

http://www.bonanzle.com/booths/HomeTech_Tool_Supply/items/Steel_Book_Safe_Security_Jewelry_Money_Safe_Valubles

I have something similar for other things - placed in with similar-looking books, it disappears

dkk73
September 29, 2009, 09:50 PM
Welcome aboard! Good for you for doing the responsible thing and securing your new firearm.

You will find a range of storage devices.

I have an extremely tough pistol safe but they do not make them anymore (R&D Handgun Box; if you find one used, snap it up). I will probably buy another pistol safe at some point soon and have been looking at this company:
http://www.vlineind.com/html/home.html
http://www.vlineind.com/html/desk_mate.html

I strongly favor good quality mechanical locks over electronic. Simplex is a good make and you can set fairly complex combos.

Also would strongly recommend a combo lock of some sort instead of a key; most kids can use a key by a few years of age and they love to use them. A combo you can truly keep private and as long as they don't watch you open it you should be good.

There are some very inexpensive boxes out there but they are not particularly secure or well-made in my view. I would feel safer with a very thick cable and a serious security padlock locking through the action. Your mileage may vary.

Different solutions for different needs. You'll find a lot of people here are worried most about quick access (the boxes I linked to provide relatively quick access).

Hope this helps,
David

eight433
September 30, 2009, 08:42 AM
I just had a thought about perhaps a cheapo lock box bolted to the floor in say, a closet, and inside of it, an eye bolt through the floor (one with the loop welded shut as to not be pried open and double nuts on the bottom side rather than the lag bolt style) and a heavy duty cable style gun lock to secure it inside the lock box. Box keeps out prying eyes, and the cable lock will deter little hands from fondling the weapon. As long as the thieves do not have bolt cutters on them, they could not be able to get the gun out without likely damaging it, which would render the gun rather useless at the pawn shop if it were damaged. Just a thought.

on a side note, I believe many police departments will GIVE you, or sell for a very minimal cost, a cable style lock that goes through the magazine well, slide, and out the open chamber. They do that in Michigan at least.

PandaBearBG
September 30, 2009, 10:26 AM
+1 for the trigger lock and cable lock. Concerning young children even if you put it in a low cost lock box, they could always take the lock box with them. Cable locks may not be the best theft proof but it is a safe affordable option. Just lock it somewhere high where they wouldn't look, like inside a jacket looped around the closet pole where kids can't reach it. As for pistol safes, well the other suggestions are good just make sure you bolt it down somewhere solid and out of sight.

trimore
September 30, 2009, 12:09 PM
For the purpose at hand. Keeping children and maybe visitors from the guns:

1. Use a pistol lock in the form of a trigger or slide lock or similar.
2. Go to walmart, home depot or harbor freight, etc and get a small safe that you can hide in your closet or under bed or similar. These cost $25 - $100 and will definately keep small children out and a curious visitor that should not be there.
3. When they get a little older, teach them about guns.

Happy Dude
October 2, 2009, 09:46 PM
I do have to thank the local pd for providing me with several slid locks already. :) Whay about bio metric locks?

FAS1
October 4, 2009, 01:02 PM
Here's one option for you to consider. Only for one handgun, but will keep it secure and accessible.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=459871

If you enjoyed reading about "New gun owner and father." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!