Browning Hi-Power (or Clone)???

PDA

Lemon10
September 28, 2009, 07:27 PM
What is a good BHP clone? Is it worth the money or should I just pony up for the real deal?

If you enjoyed reading about "Browning Hi-Power (or Clone)???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bulltaco
September 28, 2009, 07:29 PM
Get a real one!

Sgt. Stiglitz
September 28, 2009, 07:35 PM
Get both............I have a Silver Chrome HP and an FEG CLONE that I Duracoated.....:neener:

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq263/Sapo60/100_0612-1.jpg

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq263/Sapo60/100_0614.jpg

Snowdog
September 28, 2009, 07:39 PM
If you ask a question like that, you're going to be told to get a "real" HP. So, if you're trying to justify the extra dough in order to get the real deal, you'll get the go-ahead here.

However, I'm perfectly content with the CD HP I paid $289 for NIB.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3484/3458020952_30e6485e8c.jpg

jaydubya
September 28, 2009, 07:45 PM
What is a good BHP clone?

Right now, no true High Power clones are being imported into the US. FEG (a Hungarian company if memory serves) made a pretty good one, which Charles Daly imported under its own label, but then FEG went belly up. FM (not FN) of Argentina started out making High Powers under license from FN, then cut the string and started pumping them out under their own label. For a while their metallurgy was not up to snuff, but from what I have read they fixed that problem. However, they are no longer marketing their HP clone in the US -- currency exchange problems from what I gathered. There is a company in Bulgaria that makes an 'improved' near copy, but I suspect parts for it would be hard to get. It is not a clone, more like a kissing cousin.

If you can find a good used Browning or FN High Power that is what you should get. I recently saw a new BHP with a cammy finish. I almost threw up. When I came back to the store three days later it was gone. Its price as I recall was almost nine hundred dollars. That same store has had a used FEG clone for sale at around $600 for several months now.
Cordially, Jack

Wishoot
September 28, 2009, 08:06 PM
Ain't nothing like the real thing....

balin
September 28, 2009, 08:07 PM
My CD is a great gun. The finish may not have quite the luster of a Browning. But I have no complaints. Accurate reliable ad fun to shoot and was about half the price. I would get it agian.

ir3e971
September 28, 2009, 08:13 PM
I purchased an older FEG in just OK shape for a fairly decent price. It shoots very well, and has yet to jam after probably 700 rounds or so. I originally purchased this pistol because I had always been curious about the Hi Power pistol. This pistol has performed so well that I went out and bought a cylinder and slide hammer and sear, safety, and some Narvidex grips. It is well on its way to being a favorite of mine.

So the clones can be quite good in my less than expert opinion. However, eventually I would like to get an actual Browning, but for now I am quite content.

Here is before and after of my FEG clone.

NMGonzo
September 28, 2009, 08:14 PM
Real thing ... get the real thing.

The FN Argentinean HP is rather not as nice as the Belgian one.

Fired both.

I asked for my Ballester Molina back while in the service.

JellyJar
September 28, 2009, 11:08 PM
What exactly constitutes a "clone" HP? The pistol was originally produced by FN of Belgium and after they were conquered by the Nazis during WWII the pistol was produced in large numbers by John Inglis and Company in Canada. Are these Canadian pistols clones as well?

Rittmeister
September 28, 2009, 11:19 PM
I have an FM (Argentine) surplus Hi-Power. It's true that the finish isn't as nice as a real BHP, but it's very reliable, accurate enough (about as good as my Sig P6) and was only about $300 when I bought it.

It's now wearing a Cylinder and Slide safety, sear, and hammer, and a set of Novak 3-dot sights, and I couldn't be happier.

rbernie
September 28, 2009, 11:41 PM
I have two Browning HPs in a local shop on consignment - the last of the Brownings in my collection. I still have several FEG clones, and they're keepers. Part of this approach is financial - the BHPs are worth a lot more on the market than the FEGs - but it's also driven by the fact that I've had no issues with the FEGs and think well of them.

Some folk have reported issues with the FEGs shooting loose in less than five thousand rounds. On the other hand, the modern Browning lock work is reputedly not good for more than a couple/three thousand rounds either. My experience has been that my all-Belgian BHP loosened up faster than my NIB FEG did, shooting the same ammo and same round count.

Clearly, YMMV. But I've had good success with the clones, in non-critical roles, and so them's the ones that I'm keeping.

wrench
September 29, 2009, 12:52 AM
I have 3 Brownings, and one Argentine. The Argentine does not have the fit and finish of the Brownings, but it is accurate and reliable.
I'd have a hard time giving any of them up.

Avenger29
September 29, 2009, 12:56 AM
Funny you should mention this topic.

I picked up an FN made BHP that was made for the Argentine Police. Yes, FN made, before the Argentinians started making their own. I snagged it for $500 last Friday.

nathan
September 29, 2009, 02:40 AM
I got a NIB Feg PJK 9 Hp years ago. Its one accurate pistol. Its kind of rough on the edges esp the trigger. But lockup is tight and makes good groups. I used in my CHL qualifications and was amazed of its accuracy. The instructor even asked me what and where its made. It gobbles just about any ammo FMJS or HPs.

sltintexas
September 29, 2009, 05:01 AM
I have an Arcus 94 which is a BHP clone. I love it. Its accurate, reliable, and looks pretty decent to. Its somewhere around 5k rounds through it.

I bought it about 6 years ago for less than $200 new.

earlthegoat2
September 29, 2009, 05:44 AM
I tend to think the FM HPs are better than the FEGs. Not by much though. In the end I have owned two different Brownings and shot a slew of clones and was impressed by all of them. One that doesnt impress me at all is the FEG P9R. That S&W 59 grafted to the HP slide is just gross. It shot excellent though.

sarge83
September 29, 2009, 09:00 AM
I have a real BHP and an FEG clone. The BHP sits in the safe the FEG clone is my wife's carry gun. If you want to shoot and carry it, FEG, if you want a safe queen get the BHP.

I paid $600+ for the LNIB BHP 5 yrs. ago. I paid a little over $250 for the FEG in good condition. The FEG shoots and functions just fine.

2nd 41
September 29, 2009, 04:52 PM
Buy the real deal. They are great pistols and ALL quality. However I do not enjoy shooting mine at the range. It is not a target pistol.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=4081507&postcount=1

MGW-Fla
September 29, 2009, 05:47 PM
I have a pristine Browning HP that is a safe queen. I have two FEG PJK-9HPs & they are great shooters, very accurate. I've owned one over 20 yrs. & no problems. The fit & finish on that FEG is pretty much the same as my Belgium Browning, except for the adjustable rear sight on the Browning. The other FEG I bought used on GB for $250, put another $50 into a good cleaning & replacement of a trigger spring at a local gunsmith & now its flawless. It has a parkerized finished & the Pachmayr grips to make it fun to shoot.

bullturkey
September 29, 2009, 07:01 PM
They are all good guns some may have problems but nothing that can not be fixed. The main issue I have with some of them is the absence of a firing pin block. People can argue the virtue or lack of but that little safety feature I will not go without in a carry gun.

Pilot
September 29, 2009, 07:04 PM
My box stock MK III Browning Hi Power is my most accurate centerfire pistol.

Marshall
September 29, 2009, 08:06 PM
Tough to beat the real deal.

I think if you buy a clone, so to speak, you'll still have the desire for the real one.

Here's an ATF pic with one of mine.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c274/bunnfuzz/dcp_0877.jpg?t=1254268755

And a separate pic of the same gun.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c274/bunnfuzz/dcp_0588.jpg?t=1254268946

If you enjoyed reading about "Browning Hi-Power (or Clone)???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!