reloading newbie questions

PDA

220 shooter
September 29, 2009, 06:08 AM
I finally got a dillon 550:). I load .45 for a sig 220 elite .40 for a glock 22
9mm for a sig 228 Ive got primers , win.231 that planned on using for all three, 2000 125gr lrn .356 for 9mm,1500 .451 180gr for .40 and 1500 230gr .452 lrn for .45 ,plenty of brass and lots of questions:confused: ive looked at loading manuals internet data and nobody seems to have the same data for like loads .i found this site and read some threads and thought gotta join,maybe I can learn from those with real world experience I've loaded a couple hundred 115 gr fmj for the9mm and all seems well everything functions ok .Ive tryed 2 diff combos for 230 fmj starting low and working up from latest data still cant get 220 to cycle consistently plan on another increase in charge. no big deal its the learning curve i guess. have loaded 2-3hundred rds 180gr w/4.5 gr w231 for my glock22 and all seems well. I think. my questions are what are some good loads for these bullets in these guns using w 231, win primers without leading barrels, wht kind of velocity should i be looking for , what OAL should i be lokking for w/ the pure lead bullets, looking for target, plinkingloads w/lead bullets for now.I guess I'm looking for a magic recipe,any help or info would be greatly appreciated

If you enjoyed reading about "reloading newbie questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
September 29, 2009, 06:20 AM
I've been shooting the same load in my P220 since '93 ... 5.0gr of Win 231 with a 185gr SWC and WLP primers. I have put thousands upon thousands of reloads through this pistol without a single failure or issue ... NONE! You hear that all the time but let me assure you that I mean NONE!! A couple of weeks ago, my wife and I were shooting at a Marine Corps base and I was using some reloads made up in August of '98. They worked as well as they did 11 years ago! I have no idea what the velocity is but they are very accurate with a little snap to them and I would estimate about 10% less recoil compared to Blazer 230gr FMJ loads (aluminum case).

The above load results in zero leading in my SIG. COL is about 1.157" with a taper crimp. Here's what I'm talking about. I'm not fussy about the cases as long as they're healthy and between 0.888" and 0.898" in length.

http://128.171.62.162/hawthorn-engineering/thr/pistols/sig_p220/45acp.jpg

:)

If you enjoyed reading about "reloading newbie questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!