Extremes: H&H Double Rifles

PDA

glockten
November 1, 2003, 09:54 PM
www.hollandandholland.com

Interesting website. Anyone in the market for an 18.75 lb .700 Nitro Express rifle that fires a 1000gr bullet at 2000 fps/8900 ft-lbs? For $175k and a backorder that's probably figured in years, it can be yours.

They're beautiful firearms, though.

If you enjoyed reading about "Extremes: H&H Double Rifles" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MaterDei
November 1, 2003, 09:56 PM
After reading Unintentional Consequences I don't think a .700 would satisfy me. I'm looking for a 4 bore double rifle!!!

Soap
November 1, 2003, 11:28 PM
The market is tiny, the intangibles are very high, and the workmanship is superb. The pricetag fits.

Bill Hook
November 1, 2003, 11:52 PM
The brochure shows some scoped.

Why would anyone want to ruin the lines of a double that way? You should buy a bolt gun if you want a scope, but scopes on heavy caliber rifles seem idiotic anyway. They are meant to be used at 100yds or less and aren't tackdrivers, assuming you'd care to put in enough bench time to find out.

Double rifles are an anachronism for those who appreciate classic lines, a traditional way of doing things, and mechanical artisanry. As with mechanical watches, you could buy a Seiko quartz for under $100 that would keep better time, and so it is for accurate rifles when compared to heavy doubles.

Preacherman
November 2, 2003, 12:23 AM
Materdei (l like the username! :D ), I got yer 4-bore right here! The picture shows a 4-bore compared to a .500/.465 Holland & Holland Nitro Express:

http://www.african-hunter.com/4bore_part1_p1p20v5no4.jpg

For the article about the rifle (long!), see:

Part 1 (http://www.african-hunter.com/4-bore_part_i.htm)

Part 2 (http://www.african-hunter.com/4-bore_part_ii.htm)

Enjoy! :D

November 2, 2003, 10:25 AM
I was in London in July and made sure to visit the H&H shop & gun room.

Very impressive, very expensive.

MaterDei
November 2, 2003, 12:12 PM
I've already read the article. :cool:

Gotta love this.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=579854

ElToro
November 3, 2003, 01:22 PM
check out the H&H magazine rifles if you need a high dollar scoped rifle... the H&H and Purdy and other VERY HIGH end arms are truly custom one off deals.. you fly in, they take all your measurements.. then you walk into the rom where the 500 year old pieces of wood are sitting waiting to made into a nice stock... then wait.

but if you cant wait, check out their "used" rifles they sell.

there was even a article in the Wall Street Journal a few years or so ago that mentions that high dollar shotguns are becoming the chi chi toy de jour that dot commers must have...

they are true works of art.. next time i dont need a place to live, i'll sell the house and take the proceeds and buy a rifle ! they wife would have coronary!

JShirley
November 3, 2003, 03:27 PM
No-one who knows me will consider me a traditionalist when it comes to firearms, but a scoped super-high-end double? That's just wrong.

six 4 sure
November 4, 2003, 03:08 AM
I'd love to own one of those (who wouldn't), but I'm afraid it's only going to make my list of things to buy if I win the lottery.:D

six

Cosmoline
November 4, 2003, 06:42 PM
Personally I have limited interest in firing bullets that will actually end up pinging the radar screens at the local air control tower :eek:

I wonder what kind of noise those four bore monster slugs make as they move down range?

Hey, here's something I've always wanted to know. There's the old maxim that a bullet can't actually knock large or medium-size game down to the ground. But what about one of these beasts? The free recoil is enough to force you back a step, even with a heavy rifle. So would the bullet be enough to physically knock game over?

BigG
November 4, 2003, 07:20 PM
That 4 bore is even painful to look at! :cool:

If you enjoyed reading about "Extremes: H&H Double Rifles" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!