should I buy an AimSurplus Mosin Nagant?

PDA

wcoats
September 29, 2009, 09:19 PM
I'm considering buying a 91/30 Mosin Nagant from Aim Surplus. They have then for $79.95 or $89.95 for the hexagonal ones. I'm looking for anyone who has had good or bad experiences with 91/30 Mosin Nagants, and with AimSurplus. I was also wondering how much of a difference there is between the Hexagonal Receiver, and the normal one? There is only $10 difference, is it worth the extra $10? I was also wondering if it's worth the extra $10 to get them hand selected.

Thanks for any help

If you enjoyed reading about "should I buy an AimSurplus Mosin Nagant?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jojo200517
September 29, 2009, 09:27 PM
I had good experience with them ordering a case of ammo. I was going to buy my Mosin from them but I found it for 110 locally. This turned out to be cheaper, since I wouldn't have to pay 25 bucks for transfer fee plus shipping.

I had the opportunity to buy a hex or my round one, I decided to put that extra 10 bucks in ammo. But hey that is just me.

Proinsias
September 29, 2009, 10:01 PM
Yes. The rifle and the company are both recommended. Hex is more expensive mostly because it's rarer, up to you if you think that's worth it. The hexes were also made in a range of years known for higher quality control.

cbrgator
September 29, 2009, 10:07 PM
Absolutely.

10mm Mike
September 29, 2009, 10:20 PM
I've bought 4 guns from AIM Surplus in the past 2 months or so. Customer Service was very nice and helpful, delivery time was very good, and the guns were all packaged and wrapped well. Shipping was also reasonable.

2 of the 4 guns I got from them were Mosin Nagants (round receiver), and I got them just last week. I'm very happy with the condition they arrived in, though I would recommend against getting the hand pick option because when I asked the guy if they would check the bores for you, he said they only pick the ones with the best looking outer appearance without checking bore condition.

There isnt much difference between the round receivers and hex receivers other than the front ring being round vs hex shaped. They both fit in the same after market ATI stock. I think the hex receivers are usually alittle bit older and less common than the round receivers, but mostly its about the cosmetic cool factor in the hex receiver. If you think it looks cool then go for it, $10 isn't that much. I already have a hex receiver so thats why I went with the round receivers this time.

The other 2 guns I got from them were a beauitful VZ-24 and a Romanian PSL. The price I paid for the PSL including shipping and transfer fee was still less than 3 other places I found online that had PSL's.

I'll definitely be doing business with them in the future.

fireman 9731
September 29, 2009, 10:34 PM
I would look for one locally so that you don't have to pay shipping and transfer fees. I picked up a hex receiver 91/30 in great condition at a local Dunhams sporting goods for $89.99.

wcoats
September 29, 2009, 10:38 PM
what's a good estimate of how much shipping and transfer would be?

10mm Mike
September 29, 2009, 11:03 PM
Transfer fees vary greatly. A good average range would be between $20-$40. My guy charges $30.

Shipping for 1 91/30 would probably be around $10 or $15 depending on where you live. I live in Arkansas and shipping was around $20 for 3 rifles. I dont remember what shipping on the PSL was but I want to say it was around $15.

RonE
September 29, 2009, 11:10 PM
should I buy an AimSurplus Mosin Nagant?

The hex receivers are easier for a home gunsmith to drill and tap for a scope mount.
Hand selection for $10 is probably worth the gamble.

To answer your question, NO. Buy my Remington 742 in 30-06 with a Redfield 3X9 scope.

y5e06
September 29, 2009, 11:21 PM
yes. i have an AIM 91/30. great buy. for $10 might be worth the gamble for hand pick, as mentioned.

wcoats
September 29, 2009, 11:23 PM
well, i already have a Remington made m1917, which is a 30-60 gun. I was thinking about getting a Mosin Magant because it's cheap, seems kinda cool, and i have an itch to buy another rifle :)

10mm Mike
September 29, 2009, 11:49 PM
Go for it. The gun is cheap, ammo is cheap and if you run out of ammo you can put the bayonet on and use it as a spear, or just turn the gun around and use it as a club.

For less than $250 you can get 440 rounds of ammo and a rifle complete with sling, bayonet, ammo pouch, and cleaning rod.

Dazen
September 30, 2009, 12:08 AM
I have bought a lot of ammo from Aim as well as 4 rifles and 3 pistols over the past 2 years or so. I have been really happy with them. This is my PSL i picked up from them last month.

http://i993.photobucket.com/albums/af52/Dazen01/th_004.jpg (http://s993.photobucket.com/albums/af52/Dazen01/?action=view&current=004.jpg)

brocksamson
September 30, 2009, 01:13 AM
For under $ 100.00 my Mosin- Nagant gave me that rarest of human experiences- being pleasantly surprised.

cchris
September 30, 2009, 01:10 PM
In another topic, I asked the question about the hand-select. One response was a gunsmith said it wasn't worth it. See here...

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=477315

With that being said, I just found out I have a $200 check that I received from work after I moved that's just asking to be spent on one of these...

Yellowfin
September 30, 2009, 01:11 PM
Absolutely you should.

wcoats
September 30, 2009, 04:39 PM
ok, i've decided i'm going to to it. i'm going to call around and try to find a local ffl that will sign it over for the cheapest.

wcoats
September 30, 2009, 04:41 PM
oh, another question, what's the best ammo to use for these? should i buy the current production wolf ammo, or buy the really cheap surplus ammo?

PCGS65
September 30, 2009, 05:13 PM
Buy the surplus, yes it's corrosive but it MUCH less expensive.
After shooting I brush the bore first then use a 30 cal mop and put the muzzel in a pan of water about 1-1/2" full and slowly draw the water up the barrel a few times. Water dissolves the salts used in the primers then brush again and repeat. They clean normally and finish with hoppes when the bore is bright.

Then wash the mops with dish soap.

candr44
September 30, 2009, 05:46 PM
ok, i've decided i'm going to to it. i'm going to call around and try to find a local ffl that will sign it over for the cheapest.

You should consider getting an 03 FFl. It is only $30 and you will eliminate transfer fees with it. AIM can send it directly to your door and all you will pay is shipping. An 03 FFL will pay for its self on your first order.

AIM says their guns are in excellent condition so I wouldn't pay the hand pick fee unless you want a certain factory code or date. They are also a first rate company to deal with.

AZAviator
September 30, 2009, 06:48 PM
AIM surplus rocks, I have nothing bad to say about them. I will order from them long before some others. Their selection is small but good they are always updating their website and prices, in fact when I ordered my WASR 10 over the phone they gave me $100 off the website price. I dont know if this was intentional or not but I was happy.

My mosin shoots surplus with no problems, just dont forget to clean it.

cbrgator
September 30, 2009, 06:52 PM
Get the surplus. You'll save boatloads. Plus, its what the damn thing was designed to shoot. :)

wcoats
September 30, 2009, 07:45 PM
What is an 03 FFL, and how do I get one?

cbrgator
September 30, 2009, 07:49 PM
It's a Curio & Relics license. You fill out an application and mail it with a check to the ATF.

BsChoy
September 30, 2009, 07:55 PM
A big thumbs up for the guys at AIM. I love ordering from them.

okespe04
September 30, 2009, 08:00 PM
Of course

wcoats
September 30, 2009, 11:29 PM
how long does it take to get the 03 FFL after i mail the application and check?

wcoats
September 30, 2009, 11:33 PM
How long does it take to get the 03 FFL after I fill out the application and mail it? I don't want to wait to long to order the mosin nagant.

cbrgator
October 1, 2009, 12:37 AM
2 weeks to 2 months. Never know with them. If you don't want to wait, get the Mosin and fill out the application so you'll have the license for next time. It's good for 3 years.

Flyboy73
October 1, 2009, 05:16 AM
I would say order the Mosin Nagant now. Shop around for an FFL for the transfer, I found a place that charges $15.

But get the C&R, so you can order next time. ALso don't forget you get Dealer Discounts at places like Midway USA and Brownells.

The down side its a fast way to go broke.:evil:

But really haveing a C&R opens up the door for a lot of Milsurp guns.

Brion

CZguy
October 1, 2009, 06:10 AM
But really haveing a C&R opens up the door for a lot of Milsurp guns.

Isn't that the truth...............it was a happy moment indeed when I got a Luger in the mail box. :)

wcoats
October 1, 2009, 04:20 PM
Well, I just looked up the requirements, and realized you have to be 21 to get an 03 C&R, and I don't turn 21 for another month and a half. I'm going to go ahead and find a dealer so I can order the Mosin Nagant now, and probably apply for a C&R in a month and a half when I turn 21, just so i'll have it. There's a local shop that'll do the transfer for $20, should I bother trying to find somewhere that'll do it cheaper?

TehK1w1
October 1, 2009, 04:38 PM
$20 is fine, you might find a place that will do it for $15 if you are really lucky but its unlikely. FFL fees seem to vary by location but $25-35 is pretty normal around here.

41magsnub
October 1, 2009, 04:39 PM
I'm about to order one, my FFL is being silly that they think AIM needs to call them to get the paperwork instead of just faxing it in like I asked or just giving me a copy and I'll do it. Looking for a new FFL...

spartywrx
October 1, 2009, 05:15 PM
I just got mine in the mail today. Matching bolt and barrel, havent looked it over much yet. Its coated in cosmo and looks like it will clean up real nice. I'd buy one of theirs again and skip the mixmaster ones you see at gun shows. It also comes with a giant skewer and a bunch of accessories.

I also got 2 ar15 lowers from them at the height of the panic for $90 each.

Thumbs up for AIMsurplus!

Flashburn
October 1, 2009, 06:17 PM
My Mosin is in very very good condition. I wish it didn't have the import marks but that's life. I also ordered a case of their surp ammo. They were friendly and got it the rifle to Arkansas in only a couple of days.

If you enjoyed reading about "should I buy an AimSurplus Mosin Nagant?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!