444 Marlin max barrel length

PDA

WYO-17
October 1, 2009, 12:28 AM
What would be considered the Max barrel length for the 444 Marlin round before you start seeing a negative effect?

i.e.: anything over _ inches, you will start seeing a lose in performance.

I have a couple questions on a Remington Rolling Block that I had rebarreled a while back on a couple different sections on this forum dealing with this rifle, which I have decided to start shooting again.

I have been reading about barrel length and how it can effect round performance and was wondering about the 444 Marlin round.

The rifle has which has around a 32" (1.25 in full Octatgon) bbl length and have been thinking about taking some length off. But thought I'd check with someone before I do it to get the length correct for the round.

Thank you

If you enjoyed reading about "444 Marlin max barrel length" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Maverick223
October 1, 2009, 01:32 AM
Much more than 32", don't know exactly, but you will be tired of carrying it (because it is so heavy with that 10ft. long bbl) before you loose ballistic performance that's for sure. :)

Maverick223
October 1, 2009, 01:48 AM
I grossly oversimplified the calculations required to figure something like this (assuming drag and such)...and the result was that a barrel over about 18ft. would be negligible at best, as it would have only about 100psi of force "pushing" the projectile at the terminus of the barrel. Good luck with the barrel stretcher. :neener:

natman
October 1, 2009, 02:44 AM
The 444 has a relatively high expansion ratio, so it doesn't get the benefit of extra barrel length the way a cartridge like a 7mm Magnum would. However, a barrel long enough to actually slow the bullet down would be too long to carry.

I would select a barrel length on practical issues like "can I fit it in my car" rather than worry about the last two or three fps.

Maverick223
October 1, 2009, 03:24 AM
I would select a barrel length on practical issues like "can I fit it in my car" rather than worry about the last two or three fps.Agreed, but think of the looks you would get at the range when you truck in (undoubtedly using a semi and forklift) your rifle with an 18' long barrel. :D

chrissmallwood
October 1, 2009, 11:08 AM
Assuming you could get any barrel length you wanted for it what would be the likely velocity of the round after exiting a 10' barrel?

Maverick223
October 1, 2009, 12:04 PM
Assuming you could get any barrel length you wanted for it what would be the likely velocity of the round after exiting a 10' barrel?That is even more complex than figuring out the length (and I took shortcuts with that). Taking even more liberty with this calc. (and assuming that what I read and my assumptions are correct (read that going from 22" to 24" increases velocity by about 50fps and assuming 2400fps @24" bbl and that barrel length follows the inverse square law), the velocity should be about 2623fps, and 2684fps for 10ft and 18ft long barrels respectively. :)

WYO-17
October 2, 2009, 10:58 AM
Good replies:what:

So I'm guessing, by reading between the lines that around 22"-24" would be a good middle of the road barrel length.

Due to the short action on the RB, that would make for a decent O/A rifle length.

Thanks for the feed back and the good humor;)

Jim Watson
October 2, 2009, 11:08 AM
Middle of the road? That would be a carbine in original Rolling Block terms.
That short, I assume it is to be a hunting rifle. If so, it would be helpful to turn the barrel down to a half octagon - half round to get some more weight off.

Maverick223
October 2, 2009, 11:32 AM
So I'm guessing, by reading between the lines that around 22"-24" would be a good middle of the road barrel length.I agree, if you are hunting with it, if not I would stick to the original 32". As unpractical as a long barrel is (in the field) I love em'. JW, that is a good idea, never cared for the look of a 1/2 oct. but it would certainly lessen the load. :)

JimmAr
October 2, 2009, 11:42 AM
444XLR has a 24".. that things a beast.

natman
October 2, 2009, 12:56 PM
444XLR has a 24".. that things a beast.

True enough, but the XLR is a lever action and it has a much longer action than the OP's single shot Rolling Block. 24" would be a nice size on it.

WYO-17
October 2, 2009, 04:28 PM
When I get back home (currently TDY in Italy) I'll do some measuring and see where 22-24 takes me.

Since the bbl length doesn't affect the bullet like I thought it might, could be to leave it like it is (or go with a little shorter say 26-28") and find a decent tang sight to mount on it. Load the rounds in a black power/lead bullet range and just have some fun doing some old time "long" range type shooting.

Thanks again for the feed-back

briansmithwins
October 2, 2009, 04:54 PM
Some good data here: http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/results.html

It's all pistol calibers but longer barrels don't behave like most people think they do. BSW

Maverick223
October 2, 2009, 05:47 PM
It's all pistol calibers but longer barrels don't behave like most people think they do.Being pistol calibers they will plateau before a rifle, but the numbers confirm my thoughts that the velocity relationship is an inverse square. Basically adding an inch (in a rifle or pistol chambering) to a 6" bbl has a great deal more effect than an inch on a 24" bbl. :)

Kernel
October 2, 2009, 09:13 PM
find a decent tang sight to mount on it. Load the rounds in a black power/lead bullet
If that's your intent, I'd leave it at 32". Longer barrel will give you a longer sight radius and better accuracy. With black powder and longer barrel is never a bad thing. In any event, I wouldn't go under 24". Post some pics when you're done. A .444 Marlin Rolling Block sounds like a hoot.

TehK1w1
October 3, 2009, 02:34 AM
You might be able to find some velocity figures somewhere for the 22" and 24" barrel lengths, since the factory marlins were made in both of those lengths.

If you enjoyed reading about "444 Marlin max barrel length" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!