P99 issues

PDA

WillDe83
October 2, 2009, 03:40 AM
I recently purchased a P99 brand new (has AK date mark). I went out once and shot it (50 rounds), cleaned it and put it up. This afternoon I pulled it out to look it over and re lubricate it b/c I am going shooting with my brother tomorrow. I noticed on the front of the slide on the bottom, where the two notches (or grooves) that extend back down the entire slide, both are chipped in front, small chips and the slide wobbles slightly in the front and rattles when I shake it. This just baffles me, a month old and has odd damage to it. Gun was never dropped and spent the past 3 weeks (got the firearm 3 weeks ago), except when I took it to the range, in my gun safe.

Kinda new to guns, did my research and never found anything negative on the P99. Don't want to hassle with shipping the gun in to be looked at. My thing is, when I lose confidence in something I never gain it back. Anyways, has anyone had the same experience or did I draw the short straw (story of my life

I will try to take a picture tomorrow.

Will

If you enjoyed reading about "P99 issues" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
schiesz
October 2, 2009, 12:08 PM
I have had my P99 for about 8-9 years, and I don't THINK there is anything to be concerned with here. I had always had a slight wobble left to right on the slide, and the light rails are pretty much useless. The "rattles when I shake it" doesn't sound too good though. Pics and a better description would help a lot here. Is the rattle just the slight side to side in the slide, or something else? When you cleaned it, did you take the slide and barrel off and clean the insides? Is the rattle in the grip with the slide and barrel off? Does the slide rattle on its own?

WillDe83
October 2, 2009, 01:46 PM
I think its just the slight side to side in the slide. I think its ok, just got carried away when examining it. I guess the only other gun I can compare it to is a HK P7 and that thing is a rock. there is no rattle in the slide by itself or in the grip by itself. I guess its not really a rattle but just the movement of the slide and frame in front on the gun. Thank you for helping schiesz

Shipwreck
October 2, 2009, 04:17 PM
Can't help ya with the marks.

But, the slide does have some wobble until you put a loaded mag into the gun. THat usually stops it.

This has come up tons of times on the Walther Forum website. Its normal. No biggie. VERY common for polymer guns.

As long as the barrel slide lock up is tight - it's a non issue.

If you enjoyed reading about "P99 issues" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!