Lee Reloading Equipment Support Top Notch

PDA

hddeluxe
October 2, 2009, 07:27 PM
Regardless of what many people say or how they feel about Lee reloading equipment, their support is top notch.
My friend has a 25 year old Lee press with the "T" model primer arm. The large primer holder simply wore out from use. I suggested he call Lee. He did and they sent him a new one-no questions asked. In fact the comment from the exceptionally nice woman who answered the phone was "That shouldn't have worn out. We will send you another right away." On top of that there was no "Press 1 for English", and a real person who speaks English answers the phone and handles everything right there. No transfers. You can't beat it.
I have had the same experience with a couple of parts I have had to replace. In fact I even told them one of the parts was grrrrd from my own mishandling. They still said no problem.

If only other companies were that well run and as stand up about their product. I know I am and will continue to be a fan of Lee Reloading Products.

If you enjoyed reading about "Lee Reloading Equipment Support Top Notch" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Duce1
October 2, 2009, 07:39 PM
I agree . There support has kept me as a LEE reloading fan of there equipment .

I always look at what they have first when I go to buy something .

bullseye308
October 2, 2009, 07:42 PM
I had the same experience with Lee recently on a cam lever for a 6 cav mold I managed to break. Called and told them I recently got it in an order from grafs and I broke it on the first use. She said no problem and sent it right out. No questions, no hassle at all. Outstanding service. Lee gets a BIG +1 from me again.

kev74
October 2, 2009, 07:49 PM
I had a similar experience with Lee. When the deprime pin on one of my dies broke, I called them up and had a new one in my mailbox in less than a week. :)

Arkansas Paul
October 2, 2009, 08:19 PM
How are their dies? I've been buying RCBS and paying $40 a pop for them. I can get Lee dies on line for about $20. Are they worth it? They will fit in my RCBS rockchucker press won't they? I'm fairly new to all this and still have a lot to learn.

Duce1
October 2, 2009, 08:50 PM
Arkansas Paul.

Answer number one.
How are their dies ? Excellent in my opinion . No worse or better than any other and they get the job done .

Answer number 2 ?
Will they fit in my RCBS press ?
Yes if you have a newer press with the 7/8 pitch threads in the press .
Today pretty much any newer press will interchange with any newer dies .

Bush Pilot
October 2, 2009, 09:03 PM
There's an upstart company in Arizona called Dillon, I've heard they have a pretty good warranty policy too :rolleyes:

floydster
October 2, 2009, 09:18 PM
Someone always has to piss in the cereal.:confused:

jcwit
October 2, 2009, 09:41 PM
Ya, for $60.00 plus bucks a set. Money saved with Lee will give me 20 trips to the range, or buy me almost 3 lbs. of powder.

Nate1778
October 2, 2009, 10:59 PM
There's an upstart company in Arizona called Dillon, I've heard they have a pretty good warranty policy too

Your kidding right?

Totally High road throughout. Mr. Dillion would be so proud of his followers. I swear reloaders are such 2 year olds.

I too have had great experience with Lee, same could be said of Berry's, Wolf, Missouri bullet and Alliant, but I am sure someone will jump in with their opinion otherwise.

atlanticfire
October 2, 2009, 10:59 PM
+1 on the Lee stuff! There's an upstart company in Arizona called Dillon, I've heard they have a pretty good warranty policy too and inexpensive to boot for those of us on a serious budget.:neener:

atlanticfire
October 2, 2009, 11:01 PM
Missouri bullet
but I am sure someone will jump in with their opinion otherwise.
Nope pretty much awesome. . .:D

Gadzooks Mike
October 2, 2009, 11:42 PM
I agree. Lee stuff is inexpensive and works. Haven't needed customer service yet. I get a kick of the folks who look through the Lee Load book and then gripe because he seems to advertise his equipment over others. Hmmm... If I had a company and wrote a book.... yeah, I might do that as well. Besides, I think he justifiably can do that. I've had zero problems with anything I've purchased that says "Lee" on it, and I've save a lot of money buy that over other brands.

oldreloader
October 3, 2009, 12:07 AM
I've done customer service with Lee,RCBS,Lyman,Forster and a few more..They have ALL been good to me..I own a some of all the above and all are good.

billybob44
October 3, 2009, 12:52 AM
Lee should be great in the customer service end. I'm sure they get a lot more practice than Dillon,RCBS,REDDING,LYMAN. etc. With more broken equipment out there, I'm sure they (Lee Co.) man a phone bank!:neener::confused:

billybob44
October 3, 2009, 12:55 AM
When I was in Scottsdale, AZ. a few years ago, I stopped by their home office. They gave me a guided tour through their plant. NICE set up.!! Dillons Top Notch!!

ljnowell
October 3, 2009, 12:59 AM
Billybob, why do you feel the need to bash on lee? If you dont like the equipment thats one thing, but others do. I have never had a single thing that says LEE on it fail on my reloading bench. I cant say the same about my dillon tumbler, RCBS scale, etc.

RustyFN
October 3, 2009, 01:05 AM
There's an upstart company in Arizona called Dillon, I've heard they have a pretty good warranty policy too

Somehow I don't think they would have had the right parts for his Lee press.

MR_A
October 3, 2009, 01:38 AM
I have been using the lee 1000 since the mid 80's, i load 45 acp, 9mm and 357 & 38 spl and 45 colt, after 10,000 or so rounds it still works fine and yes i have to tune it up sometimes after caliber changes. Like i tell my buddies don't buy them they only last a lifetime or 20+ years or so with care in all those years i have called lee twice talked to mr. Lee the first time i also cast using lee products never had a problem,and lee dies are great i have rcbs and dillon dies also, i like lee the best......you can spend more but the finished product will be the same.

atlanticfire
October 3, 2009, 01:52 AM
With more broken equipment out there
I smell a troll. . . .:rolleyes:
Also happen to see this. . . is that a Lee product your attempting to purchase there Billy Boy.
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=5925297#post5925297

Seedtick
October 3, 2009, 02:41 AM
I am a fan of Lee products myself. I might not be had I been born rich instead of so dang good-look'n. :D

But, I admit that from what I have seen and heard all of the reloading companies have good costumer service.

ST

Roccobro
October 3, 2009, 02:53 AM
I smell a troll. . . .
Also happen to see this. . . is that a Lee product your attempting to purchase there Billy Boy.
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...97#post5925297

Yes. Hypocritical trolling is NOT very High Road.

All my Lee items served/are serving their purposes. I would not have gotten into reloading if the intro Lee items I needed were much more $$$.

Justin

cerberus65
October 3, 2009, 09:49 AM
A friend of mine always does the "tsk, tsk" thing when we talk reloading equipment. He will admit that Lee pistol dies are as good as any but he thinks the rifle dies are <insert your favorite derogatory word here>. He also thinks bullet seating is not consistent. That might be more of a knock on my Turret press as opposed to a knock on the dies (not sure). Personally, I've been very happy overall. Lee equipment allowed me to get into reloading for a price that wouldn't send my wife through the roof. After awhile I upgraded the powder measure from the disks to the charge bar and I recently got the hand priming tool. Those two upgrades have moved me from satisfied to very satisfied. And recently I've been working up a load for my .243 and 2 of the 3 loads that I tried shot 3/4" or under at 100 yds. So I'm thinking the rifle dies aren't so bad after all. :)

But returning to the original comment... I'm glad to hear the support is great but I have not had to use it. The instructions were all pretty easy to follow - esp. combined with having read the introductory material in the only reloading manual I had at the time (Lyman). Not needing to call support is always a good sign and a happy thing for me.

Duce1
October 3, 2009, 11:21 AM
Only problem I have had is with there new single stage press with the Alum. toggle on the arm breaking . It broke once and I called in 3 days I had a new toggle in the mail . It broke again and I called and I had a whole new press with a steel toggle attached in the mail in less than a week.
That is what I call taking care of your customers .

MMCSRET
October 3, 2009, 01:02 PM
I have Lee equipment that dates back to the late 60's, had a few questions a few times, called and had them answered in short order. One time it was lunch time and John Lee answered the phone and spent 30 minutes talking me thru a problem. I like Dillon equipment but I doubt that Mike Dillon would place himself in that position.

Bush Pilot
October 3, 2009, 03:19 PM
I love some of your responses. All a person has to do is mention (or imply) Dillon and some of you immediately assume Lee is being bashed, far from the truth. I own several sets of Lee dies and use them on a regular basis. Lee makes some products that are top notch and a good value, they also make products which are junk. BTW, the name "Dillon" only has one "I", not two.

Roccobro
October 4, 2009, 01:20 AM
Who is Dillin?

Justin

MMCSRET
October 4, 2009, 11:12 AM
The "2" I's lead me to read Dillion, rhyming with Billion. Oh well, as was once said " a million here and a million there and pretty quick you're talking serious money".
Tangent; anyone?

rivraton
October 4, 2009, 03:36 PM
Who is Dillin?

Justin
Used to be the marshal in Dodge City, I think?

Iíve had a Lee Pro 1000 for a while. I load .45 ACP; .45 Colt & .38 Spl. It produces quality ammo, the only problems Iíve had with it were entirely my fault. Itís good to know that they have good customer service, incase I ever need them.

Lee Roder
October 10, 2009, 07:59 PM
Been using Lee's case length gage and trimmer. In principle, it's a very good design for its function. However, the packaging claims that the "hardened steel stop pin will retain its accuracy forever" is untrue.

How do I know? Trimming a new bag of brass, the cases kept getting shorter and shorter. Through several rounds of "trimming" I wore the pin down, apparently because I was "applying too much pressure" during trimming and mushrooming the tip. Lee sent me a new gage but apparently Lee no longer "hardens" the stop. At least I learned what the SAAMI *minimum* case length was. Most manuals only give max length.

So check overall length of your gages occcassionally. NEW for 38 SPL measured 1.520" (for posterity). If recent they WILL shorten / wear with use!

aerod1
October 10, 2009, 08:17 PM
Were it not for the Lee low price a great quality, I would not be relaoding today. My Lee equipment has never failed.:)

husker
October 11, 2009, 12:42 PM
i just got into reloading. $75.00 for the LEE ANNIVERSARY kit. came with every thing but the dies. $25 for dies = $100 total to start. Not a bad price to learn how on a single stage.

mrcooper
October 11, 2009, 02:55 PM
Been reloading fer over 50 years, I use Lee hand primer and have for over 20 years, its great I also use their case trimmers the one you put in a drill I love it by the time I get my Fosters adj I have my cases done with the Lee. I also have a few sets of their dies and their is nothing wrong with them, just as good as my RCBS and others.

357SigFan
October 11, 2009, 03:52 PM
I have a set of Lee pistol (.357Sig) and Rifle (7mm Mag) dies, and hate them. Yes, they work for their purpose, BUT, you can't lock in the seating die once you've got your depth set, and it doesn't take much to bump it out of adjustment. Basically, if you have Lee dies, plan on verifying seating depth every time you sit down to make loads. As for Dillon, there's nothing "Upstart" about them. They've been around for at least 15 years, and make an EXCELENT machine (pricey, maybe, but top notch IMO). My grandfather has two "Square Deal B" machines and I'm going to be getting a 550B.

RustyFN
October 11, 2009, 04:33 PM
I have a set of Lee pistol (.357Sig) and Rifle (7mm Mag) dies, and hate them. Yes, they work for their purpose, BUT, you can't lock in the seating die once you've got your depth set, and it doesn't take much to bump it out of adjustment.

I don't know how much variance you are talking about. I have four sets of Lee dies and every set seats within .003. That is close enough for me. Three sets are pistol and one rifle.

357SigFan
October 11, 2009, 05:05 PM
My point was there is no way to lock the adjustment knob, so it would't be too hard to bump it and throw your setting off. Lee is the only mfg I've seen that doesn't put some way to lock them in. Not to mention their "Lock rings" are absolutely useless (but that part is easy to fix, just go buy a set of RCBS lock rings).

MMCSRET
October 11, 2009, 06:16 PM
I liked the Lee lock rings so well I bought a batch off them and put them on all my other die sets. All told, I had to buy over a hundred of the Lee lock rings, I've got over 140 sets of dies and I like the Lee dies as well as any others. "AND THE PRICE IS RIGHT"

RustyFN
October 11, 2009, 08:30 PM
My point was there is no way to lock the adjustment knob, so it would't be too hard to bump it and throw your setting off. Lee is the only mfg I've seen that doesn't put some way to lock them in. Not to mention their "Lock rings" are absolutely useless (but that part is easy to fix, just go buy a set of RCBS lock rings).

I see. I only own Lee dies and wasn't aware that you could lock the adjustment knob on other brand dies. I could see where the Lee lock rings could be a pain on a single stage press. I load on a classic turret and have never had a problem with the lock rings or dies going out of adjustment.

benzuncle
October 11, 2009, 09:18 PM
The Lee dies and turrets are cheap enough that it is not too costly to set up a turret for each variance of each caliber, so once they are set up there is no need to make any changes. In a matter of seconds, a 185gr setup with a certain OAL can be swapped for a turret that seats 230gr at a different OAL along with a different disk for charging with powder. That has been my experience with my Lee Classic Turret press and the dies/turrets. I am very content with my Lee products and way, way content with the money saved over other brands. The paper targets don't appear to be able to tell the difference either. But alas, there is a brand of loader out there for every taste, every pocketbook and even every favorite type of kool-aid! :cool:

UltimateReloader
October 13, 2009, 06:55 PM
There's one metric that I can share here for customer service- the ammount of time you have to spend on hold to talk with someone: (some of this data is a year or two old mind you).

1. Dillon- They answer within a minute usually
2. Hornady- Usually a minute or two (some times right away)
3. Lee- I've had a lot of trouble getting through to anyone some times

Anyone else had this trouble with Lee's operators?

-Gavin

Eyesac
October 13, 2009, 08:41 PM
Another happy Lee customer here. I also wouldn't be reloading if if weren't for Lee's initial costs being as low as they are. I think I spend $280 for everything I needed to reload two pistol calibers. You couldn't tell the difference between my ammo and ammo made from ______ brand machines if you mic'ed em.

ranger335v
October 13, 2009, 10:06 PM
"With more broken equipment out there, I'm sure they (Lee Co.) man a phone bank!"

I can't help but chuckle when I read sour-grapes posts like this. I've been reloading for nearing 5 decades, have a LOT of equipment, presses, dies, scales, etc., from about every maker, current and past. ALL if it works fine IF I do my part. I've never broken a Lee tool nor seen anything broken except by ham-fisted operation.

Hard to take serious anyone whining about breaking a "pot metal" (actually a very high grade alum alloy, you know the stuff they make military airplanes and rifle scope tubes and many firearms actions from) when the user leaned on it like it was 3" of cast iron!

So, I guess for them the best answer IS cast iron and thick steel but for those of us who have some sense of mechanical things it seems Lee's alloy tools and excellant dies do fine work at a better than reasonalble price.

If you enjoyed reading about "Lee Reloading Equipment Support Top Notch" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!