Looking for cheap jacketed .38

PDA

halfded
October 4, 2009, 09:46 AM
I've been loading lead bullets for my .38's so far and now I want to try and load some jacketed stuff.

Where's some good places to order cheap jacketed bullets? I don't care what brand or shape, as long as they have a cannelure. Also, I usually only order 500 at a time, so places that only sell 1K to an order won't be so good for me. I know there's more savings buying bulk, but I just want a small batch for a test run for now.

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking for cheap jacketed .38" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NCsmitty
October 4, 2009, 10:15 AM
A cheap jacketed bullet for .38 might be harder to get yet, compared to plated bullets.
Most cheaper popular jacketed bullets are not in stock at many distributors.
What weight bullet are you looking for and will plated bullets be acceptable?

We have a vendor of bullets, and member of THR, who has an ad in the buy and sell components.

www.shop.rmrbullets.com/

NCsmitty

buck460XVR
October 4, 2009, 10:22 AM
Good luck.

I shoot mostly jacketed .357 bullets and finding anything under $20 a hundred is rare........even then, they are most likely not in stock. I used to buy bulk Remmie 158 SJHPs and JSPs for $110 a thousand and still have a few left, but it seems those days are over. Speer Value paks of 450 158 JHPs can still be found online @ about $63, but then again, finding anything in .357 is extremely difficult at best right now, unless you want something premium. Altho everything else seems to be coming back, small pistol magnum primers and 38 cal bullets(.357/.358) are still hard to find.

halfded
October 4, 2009, 10:36 AM
Plated would be fine. Looks like the RMR site you gave me might be the way to go. Look like they have a crimp groove, so my criteria is met.

Plated bullets are fine, but what load data do I use, lead or jacketed?

NCsmitty
October 4, 2009, 10:48 AM
Plated bullets are fine, but what load data do I use, lead or jacketed?

You treat the plated bullets as lead, because the plating and lead core is as malleable as plain lead.

NCsmitty

Seedtick
October 4, 2009, 05:24 PM
halfded, he also has jacketed 125 gr. (http://www.shop.rmrbullets.com/product.sc?productId=21&categoryId=13) if you would rather use them than the plated. They are a little more but longdayjake has good bullets, quick shipping and he's a great guy to do business with. You won't be disappointed.

ST

Speaking of bullets, I sure wish I could find some Gold Dots somewhere. :banghead:

wild willy
October 4, 2009, 05:34 PM
Good luck I have had jacketed bulk .357 158 JHP and JSP on order for months at Midsouth, Powder Valley and Midway

longdayjake
October 15, 2009, 11:25 AM
The plated bullets that I sell are not to be treated as other plated bullets. They are to be loaded with jacketed data NOT lead data. The faster you shoot them the better they work. I will even go so far as to say that the plated bullets I sell have no velocity limit like other plated bullets do. Thanks for the good feedback Seedtick!

Nowhere Man
October 15, 2009, 11:29 AM
Precision Delta $76/K http://precisiondelta.com/products_new.htm

Dave

soloban
October 16, 2009, 06:39 PM
I've been shooting Hornady 125gr XTPs from MidwayUSA. I think I paid about $16/100.

Seedtick
October 17, 2009, 12:36 AM
halfded, he also has jacketed 125 gr. (http://www.shop.rmrbullets.com/product.sc?productId=21&categoryId=13) if you would rather use them than the plated. They are a little more but longdayjake has good bullets, quick shipping and he's a great guy to do business with. You won't be disappointed.
longdayjake - Thanks for the good feedback Seedtick!

Just state'n the facts. :cool:

ST

earplug
October 17, 2009, 12:48 AM
Why do you want to make your life and shooting so difficult? Shoot the lead stuff, it works great for 99.99% of the time in 38 spl.
It might be arguable that bullets of 125 or less are better jacketed in hot 38 loads.
But that does not mean that jacketed 125 loads or less are better then lead in heavier loads.
Really ask the question of what are you asking the bullet, firearm to do?
Most of the time a lead SWC will do it in none magnum cartridges.

Sport45
October 17, 2009, 04:12 AM
Sure you don't want to consider buying in lots of 1000? Zero bullets at Roze Distribution (http://www.rozedist.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=RZD&Category_Code=ZBJ-38S). Free shipping too.

halfded
October 17, 2009, 08:13 AM
How does shooting jacketed bullets make life and shooting more difficult? Less lead hazard, easier cleanup, less buildup in the dies, etc. I prefer lead bullets too, just want to try something different.

I'm also going to load some SD rounds and with pocket carry being my primary means, jacketed bullets will collect less crud. I've been considering a LSWC load for the really cold days to make sure I get adequate penetration. Are the Hp's with that little plastic ball available to reloaders as well? I boughta box of +p on a whim to try out. Interesting concept but I'm not so sure the little rubber ball can differentiate between soft clothing and soft skin.

I think I'm going to go with Roze's Zero bullets as long as they're in stock next time I make an order.

RVenick
October 17, 2009, 04:48 PM
I agree with Sport45 buy em in 1000's and buy em from Roze. I ordered 1000 JHPs from them for around $79 and got em in about a week to 10 days. I buy all my bullets from Roze.

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking for cheap jacketed .38" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!