Attach rail to handguard on Colt 6920?

PDA

G.Orwell
October 5, 2009, 11:29 AM
Is there a way to securely attach a rail to the lower aspect of the handguard of a Colt 6920? I would like a vertical forend grip, but do not want to have to swap the handguards to a rail style, and would prefer to use the factory handguards if possible.

If you enjoyed reading about "Attach rail to handguard on Colt 6920?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Z-Michigan
October 5, 2009, 01:26 PM
I've tried this on a couple guns and my experience is that the stock plastic handguards don't fit tightly enough to make a VFG work well.

You can get a "polymer rail" for $10 made by Falcon (Ergo), or various aluminum rails for about $20. I have both and would recommend the polymer rail as being at least as good for this purpose, probably better. These will bolt to the bottom of the handguard and let you attach a grip. But they don't make the handguard any tighter.

You can also get Magpul MOE handguards ($30) which are designed to have rail sections attached to them, but they still fit loosely and rattle some.

If you really want a VFG, you will probably find you want a solidly mounted quadrail to attach it to, so consider going straight to that even though it's not your first choice. I recently installed a Leapers/UTG carbine length quadrail ($60ish) and although it's bargain basement by quadrail standards, it is far better than the options above for solidity and ease of attaching a vertical grip.

October 5, 2009, 02:07 PM
the stock plastic handguards don't fit tightly enough to make a VFG work well.
Yup, there's just no comparison to attaching a VFG to a real (metal) rail system.

If you enjoyed reading about "Attach rail to handguard on Colt 6920?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!