Interesting Article on Police Shootings

PDA

Dave Williams
January 19, 2003, 05:01 PM
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20030119-9999_mz1n19gun.html

This is the first in a two part series. Evidently, San Diego Police Officers shoot a heck of a lot of people. I thought some of you would find this interesting.

Dave

If you enjoyed reading about "Interesting Article on Police Shootings" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Standing Wolf
January 19, 2003, 09:29 PM
Quote: For example, almost two-thirds of the people shot and killed by officers from 1990 through 2001 had alcohol or drugs, primarily methamphetamine, in their system.

I think it's a clue.

blades67
January 19, 2003, 09:52 PM
:what: Get drunk in San Diego and the police will shoot and kill you!:neener:

Peter Gun
January 20, 2003, 10:40 PM
I lived in San Diego for a few years in late 80's. They do shoot a lot of people. It usede to be on the news frequently even back then. I personally witnessed a suspect shot in the back as he fled the cops. I can understand why they might have an itchy fingers, though, as it was the Meth lab capital of America then. The thing that really bothered me about the incident I witnessed was when that officer went before a shooting review board and his FATHER refused to recuse himself, because he couldn't see a conflict of interest. It seemed that they had given up any thought to how the public perceived the police.

KMKeller
January 20, 2003, 11:27 PM
I had applied to the San Diego Police in '89 and had my date to report to the academy. About a week before I was due to report, there were six officers killed in gang or drug related shootings. I decided at that point, I'd rather not be popo (a decision I have recently reversed). The San Diego PD are in a unique position not unlike the officers in any other border town, but probably most akin to El Paso. The illegals, the crooks, criminals combined with alcohol and drugs make a VERY lethal mix. They may show as gun happy in this, but they are also heavily gunned at.

Dave Williams
January 20, 2003, 11:38 PM
Who knows, you could have been this generations Jim Cirillo(although I hear an LAPD SIS Officer was gaining that rep at one point).

"A small number of officers involved in a disproportionate number of shootings. Twenty-nine officers were responsible for almost one-third of all officer-involved shootings from 1990 through 2001."

Sounds like the Tactical Unit/SWAT/ERT unit, no?

Dave

If you enjoyed reading about "Interesting Article on Police Shootings" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!