6.5mm Swede Federal Factory ammo not bad at all

PDA

Float Pilot
October 8, 2009, 03:28 PM
There are loads of folks who do not handload but would like to use their Swede Military Mausers for hunting.
I hunt with mine but handload.....Although I have used Norma factory ammo which is SUPER,,, though a touch hot,,,

However,,,, somebody gave me two boxes of Federal factory ammo since I am known to have a thing for 6.5x55mm.

One box is an older box of Fed factory ammo loaded with 140 grain Nosler partition bullets. The other box is a newer silver colored box with 140 grain spitzer soft points.

I keep them in the truck during moose season along with the m/94.

Anyway on the last day of the local season I figured I would see just how good they were over the chronograph.

The Nosler 140gr partitions averaged 2,578 fps from my m/96 rifle, using an Ohler 35 chronograph at 15 ft. temp was 38 degrees, rain.

Then I tried the Federal factory 140 grain spitzers. They averaged 2,543 fps from my m/96 rifle and shot a very tight little group.

Just for chuckles and grins I fired a few through my m/94-14 carbine. And check these readings out...!!

2,208 fps fouling round, solvent in barrel'
2,218 fps
2,220 fps
2,212 fps
2,221 fps
2,216 fps

Whoever is in charge of their loading process deserves a pay raise.

There are no pressure signs on the brass and the cases were very clean.

The down side is that Federal brass is undersized in the case head area. (0.475 new and 0.477 fired) But is is a thick case weighing 183.5 grains without a primer. The properly sized Lapua cases only weigh 178.1 grains.

Federal did use a nice large flash hole for their primers that do not need improving for reloading.

If you enjoyed reading about "6.5mm Swede Federal Factory ammo not bad at all" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NCsmitty
October 8, 2009, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the information on the factory Federals, Float Pilot. Those that shoot factory 6.5x55 ammo can appreciate your test results.
I have a partial (now) box of Norma 156gr RN that are super accurate out of my stock M38 Husky.
I handload exclusively for my custom 98 in 6.5x55, and they're a bit hotter than the old Swede Mausers are designed to handle. Yes, Lapua brass is top notch.

Ncsmitty

Mr_Pale_Horse
October 8, 2009, 04:03 PM
Very nice. I used the Federal Premium 7x57 with the 140 grain Nosler to take deer with an 1895 DWM Chilean mauser.

I have also tried and was pleasantly surprised with the Remington CoreLokt offerings in 6.5x55 and 7x57. I did not chronograph the iron sighted M38 but my 24" barreled Zastava M70 (Mark X) average 2713 fps for the 140 Core Lokt 7mm bullet. I have killed several whitetail with both the 6.5x55 and 7x57 Remington load, and

Ol` Joe
October 8, 2009, 05:25 PM
Hornady makes some very good ammo IMO.
If you want a good 6.5x55 load keep an eye out for some of Hornadies old "Lite Mag" stuff with their 140 gr SP at IIRC 2750 fps. They made a 129gr load that clocked another 40-50 fps too.Why they dropped the load I don`t know, it made everything else I`ve shot except some old PMC 140gr look like powder puff loads, Norma included.

If you enjoyed reading about "6.5mm Swede Federal Factory ammo not bad at all" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!