How to Refinish Firearm in Photoshop?

PDA

BerettaNut92
January 19, 2003, 05:29 PM
Gun-related Photoshop question.

How do I refinish a gun to see how I like the color combination? I am running version 5 LE (law enforcement).

If you enjoyed reading about "How to Refinish Firearm in Photoshop?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sven
January 19, 2003, 09:17 PM
Try the magic wand tool, hold down 'shift' to keep selecting other 'chunks' and adjust the selectivity... then you could adjust brightness and contrast to try hard chrome.

Standing Wolf
January 19, 2003, 09:24 PM
If that version of Photoshop supports layers, duplicate the background layer, use the lasso tool to select the area you want to work on, and modify the color. The best way to modify color is to convert the document into the LAB mode, then use the Levels and Curves functions to change the color in the A and B channels. If Photoshop 5 LE doesn't support LAB color, try filling the selected portion of the firearm with the color you're considering. If you can, define the duplicated layer's behavior to color the background layer rather than the "Normal" option.

I hope I'm not confusing you! I spend forty to sixty hours a week in Photoshop, and can't think what to do without LAB color and layers.

another48hrs
January 19, 2003, 10:06 PM
This is how I would do it. Take the image of the gun and use the Polygonal Lasso Tool and select the area i want to change. Then I control copy and paste so it makes a copy of it on another layer and then just go to Image menu then to Adjust then to Brightness/Contrast or Hue/Saturation.

gun-fucious
January 20, 2003, 01:04 AM
copy the area to a new layer

use image: adjustments: hue & saturation: colorize

erase any parts of the new layer at will
(the original is un affected)

change the mode of the new layer to overlay
and pull the transparency back to 80 percent

CatsDieNow
January 20, 2003, 08:05 AM
If you are new to Photoshop, select the area to change with the polygonal lasso (hiding under the regular lasso) as sugested above and use Image > Adjust > Variations.

This is not the method of choice, but it is much easier to see what you are doing. The little slider allows you to adjust how fast you add color. The radio buttons allow you add color to the highlights or shadows only. (Pure white or black can not be colored with this method.) There is also a desaturate button to help get rid of the 'Playschool Gun' look

Layers and channels are very nifty and I couldn't live without them, but can be confusing without some experience.

TheOtherOne
January 20, 2003, 10:26 AM
Yep.. Hue/Saturation and then the color Curves, etc.

Check out this page, it's for changing the color on a car... but you'll get the idea:

http://www.photoshopjunkie.com/car_colorchange.html

If you enjoyed reading about "How to Refinish Firearm in Photoshop?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!