Hey .220 Swift shooters...

PDA

FiveOneFiveFiveFive
October 9, 2009, 12:17 PM
Salutations,
My grandpa, who was my hero and taught me everything about hunting and fishing, passed away last week. I'm in my 30's now and one great memory from childhood is him destroying coyotes and foxes with his M77 .220 Swift. Well my uncle calls me over to the house and gives me the rifle along with one of his revolvers. I'm very happy that I still have a part of him to take hunting with me. I'm very grateful.

So anyway...I know most Swift shooters reload but I was wondering if you all could point me to your favorite factory round. I plan on reloading down the road but I really want to get to the range and start shooting as the coyote pelts are thickening up as we speak.
Thanks in advance.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hey .220 Swift shooters..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
X-Rap
October 9, 2009, 12:33 PM
I'd talk to your uncle and see what gramps shot in it. Any factory 220 will be on the pricey side in comparison to more standard rounds. I have a 77V with a 10X leupold and its sweet. Enjoy

matrem
October 9, 2009, 06:32 PM
The few Ruger 77s in .220 Swift that I've had a chance to shoot, have not been overly particular with loads, and seem to shoot very well with most.
I've done some handloading for Swifts, but nothing I've done seems to stand out.
I've not shot any factory rounds in one, but "those(factory) guys" are getting really good!
Good luck.

Leaky Waders
October 10, 2009, 01:51 PM
I think Art Eatman rambles on about the old swift every now and again...I could be mistaken though. Anyways, I'll bump this post up for him to maybe see it...

Art Eatman
October 10, 2009, 05:15 PM
I've only shot reloads through a Swift. Neither the Ruger or the old Model 70 seemed picky about the load or bullet, although I always had good results with the Sierra HPBT in the 50-to 55-grain weights.

I know that Federal has some loads with the Sierra HPBT in .243, .308 and '06, so they might offer such a load in the Swift. Email and ask.

IndianaBoy
October 12, 2009, 02:08 AM
I've never shot factory ammo through my Swift, a Ruger M77 Mark II VT.

It LOVES Hornady 50 Gr. V-Max bullets on top of 43.0 grains of Hogdon 380.

257WM_CDL-SF
October 12, 2009, 04:18 PM
sorry about your grandpa.I had a vssf 220 Swift awesome shooter.Mine love the 55 grain
Sierra blitzkings,over H380.For factory it Shot the Hornady 55 grain v max'es well.
Of all you hear remember the 220 Swift id KING of the varmint cartidges

X-Rap
October 13, 2009, 12:07 AM
Its not an elk of deer gun as some would say but as 257 posted it is the king of the varminters. 50 and 55 gr Balistic Tips will vaporize sod poodles at what ever distance you can hit them.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hey .220 Swift shooters..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!