Top Gun Shooting Range Imperial Missouri

PDA

mechanicworkman
October 12, 2009, 01:36 AM
Today I visited top gun shooting range in Imperial,Missouri! Now given its my first time to there new facility but I have been a member since 2006. The staff member there today that was helping me today if you can call it that was overly rude he was anythig but, friendly! Now I brought all my own ammuniton shot a couple hundred rounds and when i went to pay after being there for little over an hour i went to buy a couple 50 round boxes of ammo was told that they were ONLY for range use! Well we all know that is is hard to find ammunition at anythign but gouging prices around at most gun shops but all i was hoping for is to replace the ammunion that i had shot at their range! I am not one of these people that hords ammo I am a preson that keeps 3 or 4 hundred rounds and when i shoot over half i like to be able to have some on hand so the next time i wanna go shoot i can! I dont know I am more than a little "TICKED"-we will call it that! I can deal with the rude people at the counter well 2 of them not all there was a nice younger gentleman in his mid to late 20's mabe early 30's!! At this point I am seriously looking at rethinking spending anymore of my money at this place! I have no problem buying a couple hundred rounds from them when i go but then i wont be taking my ammo that i have at the house all the way there! Only to shoot that and have nothing to replenish it with! I am "TICKED" I took my girlfriend there today for the first time as well as another friend you know getting any new shooter into the sport can help out everyone's cause with so many ANTI's running around these days!------I am not the only only my girlfriend and my friend said somethign about it as soon as we were out the door! NOT a good impression by any means did they make on 2 friends I brought today for the 50 minute drive it takes to get there I will defintly rethink continueing to frequent this establishment!

Has anyothers out there has similar circumstances with this place?

If so is there any other good recommendations for good places to shoot in the St. Louis Area?

If you enjoyed reading about "Top Gun Shooting Range Imperial Missouri" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
THE DARK KNIGHT
October 12, 2009, 01:41 AM
I am not one of these people that hords ammo I am a preson that keeps 3 or 4 hundred rounds and when i shoot over half i like to be able to have some on hand so the next time i wanna go shoot i can!

Yeah, yeah, that's what they all say :-p

I know what you mean about the employees there though. I have met many people at gun shops/shows that have the worst attitude I have ever encountered. People that are just miserable, empty shells of a human being.

zebco
October 12, 2009, 07:34 AM
This surprises me as I've been going there for a few years now. I doubt you'd be able to find too many people that would complain about Top Gun. Makes me wonder.

TheNev
October 12, 2009, 10:31 AM
I love Top Gun. Haven't been to the new facility yet. When I know I'll need ammo or if I see a particularly good deal (S&B .380acp for $15), I'll buy it before I go out to the range and stash it away. They had ammo when no one else did for a long time.

daskro
October 12, 2009, 10:49 AM
I haven't been in top gun in years, but this doesn't surprise me. I suggest going to one of the public outdoor ranges or to Bulls Eye off Kings Highway.

Superlite27
October 12, 2009, 04:50 PM
So, you enter with a couple of hundred rounds, shoot them, and try to buy ammo to replace your stock at home before you leave. You are now mad at Top Gun because their ammo is for range use?

If you're shooting a hundred rounds, and buying a hundred rounds......

...why do you have to buy it AFTER you shoot it?

Wouldn't it make just as much sense to NOT pack it around and simply buy it when you enter the range? Seems to me, that if you are going to replace the ammo you shoot, (having as much after you shoot as you did before) it would be much more intelligent to NOT LUG IT AROUND by leaving your stock at home and purchasing the rounds you are going to shoot before you shoot it.

Unless, of course, you enjoy walking around with several boxes of ammo. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.

Seems kind of harsh on Top Gun. I'm sure they have this rule to keep people from going in, buying out their supply, then leaving. After all it is a GUN RANGE. It wouldn't be in business for very long if they sold all their ammo to people who emptied their shelves but didn't use the range.

I have always received excellent service from Top Gun. The folks there are friendly, and the prices aren't too bad. You could always go to Bullseye over by Kingshighway. That is, if you don't mind the smoke filled range and the possibility of having to actually use your CCW pistol in the parking lot before you even enter the door. (It is near Kingshighway on the Northside)

We always hear stories about those rude and abrasive gun shop owners. I'm sure those owners NEVER encounter customers with a chip on their shoulder. I've never had anyone at Top Gun treat me rudely. Yet, since you have a problem with one of their rules meant to keep them in business, you show up here on THR and bad mouth them. This torques me off. Especially since the problem you encountered could be easily avoided by the application of intelligent thought and alteration of your own behavior.

Kleanbore
October 12, 2009, 05:50 PM
I shoot there all the time. I've rented three guns and bought two.

The ammo rule was necessitated by the fact that shelves in most local stores were bare much of the time earlier this year. Some stores would sell out a shipment in four hours. Others limit sales of some calibers to one box per customer. You cannot run a shooting range if there's nothing to shoot.

I've learned to take some of my own ammo in case Top Gun is out--it has happened.

zebco
October 12, 2009, 07:50 PM
And I'm surprised someone would recommend Bulls Eye, with their higher prices and their anti stance on carrying concealed in their facility. Now that's the place I've come across rude workers. Not Top Gun.

I also want to add that I've bought 10+ guns from Top Gun, and I would not be giving repeat business to a place where rude behavior/treatment was the norm. Sure, there are some workers I'd rather deal with than others, but I've never been treated rudely by anyone, nor have I ever witnessed rude treatment to anyone.

Kevin5098
October 12, 2009, 08:35 PM
I have been to Top Guns a few times and never had a problem. Their ammo policy is completely understandable given the current state of affairs. The policy is stated on their website. Don't know if there is a sign posted in the store, but I would be surprised if there is not.

Niel4
October 12, 2009, 08:58 PM
I became a member at Top Gun the day after they opened their new location...previously I shot there from time to time as an hourly member. I like the idea of being able to change targets when i want to vs the public ranges and its going to start getting cold. Now with 18 lanes I have never had to wait.

That said, I ran into this ammo policy myself when i went to buy after I shot. Now that I know the program I bring my own (in case they are out of what i need) but if I need to replace what I plan to shoot I do it in advance.

On at least 1 occassion they had just got a load of ammo in on all sizes and were selling it out right.

I have always had good service there.

On at least 2 occassions I rented guns for an hour. Traded in/ out 7-8 guns after shooting a mag or 2 each time (was comparing 9mm and 45 ACP). I thought i might have been pushing it a little but they handeled with a smile!

c919
October 12, 2009, 10:15 PM
A little hard to read..... you must be mad :eek:.

Seriously though, some gun store employees are just rude. I could understand it the other day when I was at my LGS some of the employees were a bit short when a seventeen year old thuglet came in and wanted to fondle the AR's and AK's with no intention of buying. However, I have been treated with same disrespect you speak of, while trying to spend hundreds of dollars!.

I think it's generally just some insecure little mallninjas trying to belittle nice people due to their own personal insecurities (interpersonal tactical obstructions). We should all be looking out for our own, or at least friendly to our own kind.

If you enjoyed reading about "Top Gun Shooting Range Imperial Missouri" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!