Anyone gotten the Australian 308/7.62 surplus?

PDA

uglygun
November 3, 2003, 06:46 PM
Midway has it on special for 35 dollars per 200 rounds.

Not so bad, just considering it for blasting ammo. Berdan primed on stripper 5 round stripper clips.

Gonna probably grab up a bunch of portuguese 7.62Nato but not sure if I'm just gonna buy a few cans from the local gunshop or buy in bulk and have it delivered.

Gonna be running through an AR10.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone gotten the Australian 308/7.62 surplus?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BamBam-31
November 3, 2003, 06:52 PM
Ya, good stuff, eh?

Most people report very positive results using the Aussie stuff. Ammoman ran out of it already.

Nice bandoleers, too.

glockenstein
November 3, 2003, 07:21 PM
It is excellent.... My favorite .308. Its what my M1A's get fed the most. I even used it in a match. I'd say that its better than just blasting ammo. I've put some away for a "rainy day." Its good quality and packed in very nice bandoleers on strippers, making it good for SHTF scenarios also.

uglygun
November 3, 2003, 07:47 PM
I'm looking for some decent stuff to kinda squirrel away.

I have 200 rounds of Austriant Hirt left, that stuff shoots like the blazes from my AR10. Wish I could have gotten more of that stuff.

Guess I'm gonna have to give both the port. and Aust. stuff a trial run and see how it does then maybe buy a case of whatever performs best.

FPrice
November 3, 2003, 07:57 PM
I bought a bunch (1,000 rounds) from Eric. What I have tried seems real good and I plan to hold on and ration it carefully.

iamkris
November 3, 2003, 10:32 PM
AIM Surplus has SA 7.62 NATO for 19.95 / 140 rnd battlepacks. That's about 14.5 cents a round. South African has a good rep.

Sactown
November 4, 2003, 12:13 AM
i purchased 1600rnds the last gun show. wish they would sell it without the stripper clips.

FireInTheHole
November 4, 2003, 12:39 AM
$133 (+$15 shipping) from WI to KS for 980 of SA from AIMsurplus.com

I bought a battlepack from a gunshow and it seems comparable to the port I bought from aim last year. Certainly better than the indian I've been feeding my fal lately.:barf:

EDIT: BTW, price/battlepack drops to $19 if you buy it by the case (+7 BPs).

fallingblock
November 4, 2003, 01:10 AM
for Australian products:)

The components used in Aussie military ammo are first rate.

The government-backed ammunition facility-ADI- that made the surplus ammo is also supplying heaps of powder to Hodgdon today.

I use their powder for all my reloading (it's cheaper here:D )

dbshabo
November 4, 2003, 10:20 AM
I got some from Sportsmans Guide a few monthes back. Think I paid ~$32.00 for a 200 round can. Nice can and really nice heavy duty bandolier with strippers. I am shooting this out of a Savage bolt gun. Just wanted some cheap ammo to get some familiarity with the trigger before I ran match grade ammo. I also got some SA surplus and I got better consistantcy with the Aussie stuff.

Shabo

Pumpkinheaver
November 4, 2003, 11:12 AM
The aussie ammo is pretty good stuff. It is the second most accurate out of my L1A1 , santa barbara being first. Good luck finding port ammo, I can't seem to locate any around here. If you find some give us a link.

MonkeyMan
November 4, 2003, 11:27 AM
I bought a can from Midway out of curiosity and was impressed. A brand new .30 cal can and four of the best bandoliers I've ever seen plus strippers. It shoots really well in my Gibbs #7 too. Practically zero muzzle flash. My shooting buddy said it was wimpy compared to some '60's Radway Green he had but in that short carbine I think he's splitting hairs.:what:

I liked the first can so much I bought another one and might get a few more for Christmas presents.

DMK
November 4, 2003, 07:19 PM
I've been loading some of this on Enblocs for my Garand. I can't wait to see how it shoots. :)

BTW: Loaded Enblocs fit very nicely in the pockets of those bandoliers.

Dave Markowitz
November 4, 2003, 07:57 PM
I bought a can from Ammoman.com and so far I've run a bandoleer-full through my G3. It functioned perfectly and seems like good, clean ammo. I didn't benchrest the rifle so I can't comment on its accuracy.

The can it comes in is a new .30 caliber can, and the bandoleers are by far the nicest I've ever seen. I find it hard to believe that they were intended to be disposable.

Phil in Seattle
November 5, 2003, 08:39 PM
I really really really reallly like the Aussie 308.

http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL77/858902/2267174/29627026.jpg

I buy the South African for plinking and fun because it's a little cheaper than the Aussie, but I buy the Aussie so I'll have some good stuff around.

Bottom Gun
November 7, 2003, 11:01 AM
The Australian ammo isn't quite as accurate as the Port ammo when I shoot it in my AR10, but it's good ammo nontheless and appears to be a bit cleaner than the Port.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone gotten the Australian 308/7.62 surplus?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!