M1A Hogue Stock

PDA

Dizos
November 3, 2003, 10:50 PM
I emailed a Hogue representative and they said they were considering producing a rubber overmold stock for the M1A. If you are interested in one, you should email them so they know they have a market for this item!

support@hogueinc.com
(800 438-4747)

-- Dizos

If you enjoyed reading about "M1A Hogue Stock" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BamBam-31
November 4, 2003, 05:55 AM
Fred's.

Engineer
November 4, 2003, 12:32 PM
Ditto. It may take awhile, but you can't beat his prices.

larryw
November 4, 2003, 12:40 PM
Looking at how Hogue has designed overmolded stocks in the past, and I own a couple, and comparing this to how an M1A action and fore should be supported, I don't think the Hogue stock is a good idea.

Did anyone say Fred's (http://www.fredsm14stocks.com/)? :)

Dizos
November 4, 2003, 01:09 PM
I have a couple GI stocks now (one from Fred's) after giving up on Springfields krackle finish. One has a better textured finish on it and the other is painted. I'm just not happy with paint on fiberglass . I really like the rubber OM grip, durability and look (I have a 10/22 and used to have a Rem 700 in a Hogue OM).

Looking at how Hogue has designed overmolded stocks in the past, and I own a couple, and comparing this to how an M1A action and fore should be supported, I don't think the Hogue stock is a good idea.

larryw - Can you say more on this? I don't have a good understanding of the finer points of fit.

-- Dizos

larryw
November 4, 2003, 02:30 PM
That "krackle" finish sure does bite, doesn't it? :)

I'm think Hogue could probably figure out how to get the trigger group to properly clamp the action into the stock, but I see two problems. First, I think the thin rubber overmolding will flex too much during firing. Hogue could fix this by creating a single large fiberglass block that encases the action and trigger group and does not get the normal overmolding (direct steel to fiberglass contact), but I wonder how durable it would be as there must be a reason they don't currently do this in their stocks. Second, the M1A needs pressure between the ferrule and front band (forened) to shoot well; this takes a stiff stock. Every Hogue stock I have and seen is "floppy" in the front because they're assuming a floated barrel and don't run the fiberglass backbone to the forened. Even if they did, I doubt it would be stiff enough to not cause problems during firing.

I also wonder how well it would take the heat thrown off by an M1A.

If you enjoyed reading about "M1A Hogue Stock" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!