Center Point 4-16X40 scope from Walmart, should I buy it???

PDA

wcoats
October 16, 2009, 08:47 PM
I was at Walmart today and I saw a 4-16 power scope with a 40mm lens, and illuminated rectal, and it was only $70. It seems to cheap to be a good scope with those specs. Before today I hadn't ever seen a 4-16 scope for cheaper than half that price. So is it a good deal or to good to be true?

If I get it I'll probably be putting it on my Remington 513T(a heavy bolt action .22lr), so recoil messing with the scope isn't an issue. I have a Bushnell 9-9X40 scope on it right now, but I'm probably going to move that scope over to a 30-06 I just picked up to go deer hunting.

They also had a Bushnell Adventure class 4-12X40 scope for the same price, would this be a better scope?

If you enjoyed reading about "Center Point 4-16X40 scope from Walmart, should I buy it???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TomADC
October 16, 2009, 08:52 PM
Go for the Center Point great scope and for the money hard to beat.

desidog
October 16, 2009, 08:59 PM
I'd pay a lot NOT to have an "illuminated rectal."

/Sorry, couldn't resist.

taliv
October 16, 2009, 09:02 PM

comedy gold

to the OP, it's $70. it's from walmart. how much do you THINK it's worth?

but assuming walmart's famous return policy applies to their optics, i guess when it breaks you could just take it back and get a new one

docsleepy
October 16, 2009, 09:12 PM
For what it is worth, I have two of that particular scope. If it is the one I'm thinking about, it has an adjustable objective, which is really key for budget benchrest..... without the AO, target moves as you move your head....

I don't install the batteries, as I do target practice in the daytime only.

It is nice because I can JUST BARELY see the .224 holes in a target at 100 yards. (its easier with a higher power scope, of course). That makes it inexpensive fun on a 100 yard range.

I've used this type of scope on two different .223's and on .22LRs. No problems in the brief 6 mo that I've owned them. Have no idea if they would hold up to temperature changes, hunting conditions, etc. I doubt they will do as well as a $1000 scope (duh!!!)

The zero's seemed to hold reasonably well. When I click the reticle around there is sometimes not a perfect movement, but overall they move reasonably.

I think I got my money's worth. You could argue whether I should have saved and bought another one like my more expensive scope, but then I'm also saving for retirement!!

atblis
October 16, 2009, 09:40 PM
I say heck no. I would much rather have a $100 3-9x40 of decent quality. 16x with crappy glass is a joke. You'll be able to see more with at 9x on a decent scope, than 16x on the crappy scope. Spend your money on a Bushnell Elite, Weaver, Nikon, Sightron, Leupold, Burris Fullfield, Vortex, etc. etc.

TomADC
October 16, 2009, 09:44 PM
I shot this 25 round at 100 yds when both rifle & scope were brand new.
Savage 93R17. Yes there are better but these aren't bad either.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL174/1021972/1908390/357570616.jpg

panoz77
October 16, 2009, 09:47 PM
I have one and like it, I guess if it's not Zeiss or Swarski some people like to call it crappy glass.

wcoats
October 16, 2009, 09:50 PM
I've never had an illuminated rectal, so I'm not sure if I'd like that. I'd be using it for 100 yard target shooting in a well lit indoor range, so I don't think I'd need the illuminated rectal. But a little more magnification would be nice.

Would I be better off buying the Bushnell Adventure class 4-12 scope? Or does anyone have a suggestion for a better scope for 100 yard bench rest shooting for under $100??

Maverick223
October 16, 2009, 09:57 PM
to the OP, it's $70. it's from walmart. how much do you THINK it's worth?No experience here, but the favorable reviews and price have me sold on it for a precision .22lr build. I wouldn't use it for centerfire, but for rimfire it should be just fine.

I've never had an illuminated rectal, so I'm not sure if I'd like that.I don't think I would...depending upon the size of flashlight I imagine it could be quite painful. :D

To the O.P.: it is a reticle...I won't explain the term you have been using...but in this case Google may not be your friend. All in good fun, Mav. :)

rossiscratch
October 16, 2009, 09:58 PM
Never had an illuminated Rectal? Are you over 55 or have a first degree relative with a history of colon cancer? If so, you should probably rethink that...:neener:

Seriously though, I have a buddy who loves his centerpointe scope on his Savage 17hmr. He uses its turrets frequently for elevation changes and doesn't seem to have a problem returning to zero. That being said, it does have crappy glass... However, for the money.....

wcoats
October 16, 2009, 10:41 PM
wow that's an embarrassing typo.

But on a serious note, which do you think would be better since they are the same price, the Bushnell Adventure class 4-12 or the Centerpoint 4-16??? Or are there any better sub $100 scopes out there for 100 yard rimfire benchrest shooting?

atblis
October 16, 2009, 11:05 PM
I have one and like it, I guess if it's not Zeiss or Swarski some people like to call it crappy glass.
You don't need a Zeiss/S&B/Swarovski to see that it is inferior glass. The low end Nikons blow it out of the water.

warnerwh
October 16, 2009, 11:54 PM
The Nikon Prostaff scopes can be had for 125. As stated above it is a far superior scope with very good optics. It's worth every extra penny over the Walmart scope.

rangerruck
October 17, 2009, 01:30 AM
it has it's decent reviews, i think it is a Leapers made product; Chinese yes, but in american managed/run/ type factories, with parts made elsewhere, so that is a plus. It can be said to be a decent scope for the money.

jpwilly
October 17, 2009, 01:54 AM
For the money it is a good scope. Optics aren't the strong part of this rig but they are rugged and have a lot of features for the money. I have two...one's on a 30-06 the other a 308. Both have held zero, Adjust well enough for a $70 scope and the Adjustable Objective works. I find it best to set them at 10 Power and leave em alone. Anything above 14x is dark.

DNS
October 17, 2009, 02:05 AM
I've got one in 3x9 on my .22 rifle and its pretty good. I've seen better but not near that price I payed.
I've seen horrible for a LOT more money too (think BSA Tactical).

Mike

oldFred
October 17, 2009, 12:01 PM
I bought that scope. I looked thru Nikon Prostaff, Leupold, Gamo, Bushnell, Tasco scopes there. All were nice and clear but had 0 features. The girl told me I could buy the centerpoint and return within 90 days since we couldnt cut open the package to look thru.

I like the 4-16x40 w/ill reticle (doesnt go black on dark underbrush while hunting), and the parrallax adjuster w/ focus adjuster is a plus when you're pushing optical magnification. It has green optic coated lenses and mil dots for rangefinding.

This scopes features and overall quality with lifetime guarantee is a showstopper of a scope!

737Driver
October 17, 2009, 12:05 PM
Buy it, its a good scope and has held up to well over a thousand rounds of .223 for me without loosing zero. Glass is relatively clear, much better than other budget scopes ( bsa, simmons, etc..) in that price range. While its not as clear as my bushnell elite its still a good scope for a good price.

wcoats
October 17, 2009, 05:30 PM
Ok, thanks for the help. i'm about to head to walmart to buy it

JimmAr
October 17, 2009, 05:39 PM
As long as its not going on anything bigger then a 22.. it should work fine.

lobo9er
October 17, 2009, 06:13 PM

i put one on my mossberg 590 :) same exact one. works fine 2nd shot hit me in the nose lol i hold on a little tighter now other than that is has held up fine so far sighted in yesterday shot dozen slugs going out right now see if we still got zero and if so its staying on for deer season this year. i called the company asked if it would be ok they said its tough enough for a 416 rigby. i dont know what that is but it sound like it may have some recoil to it.

wcoats
October 17, 2009, 07:40 PM
Ok, i just got back from the store with it, but i can't mount it on my .22 because my .22 mounting rings don't give it enough clearance. where can i get some .22 rings that'll mount it high enough for the lens to not hit the barrel?

TomADC
October 17, 2009, 07:58 PM
I used Burris signature rings the high ones.
What kind of bases are on that rifle?

rangerruck
October 17, 2009, 08:05 PM
that same wallyworld should well weaver and leupold rings, get medium or medium/highs.

wcoats
October 17, 2009, 08:21 PM
it's just the slotted base on top of the receiver that's on most .22 rifles

TomADC
October 17, 2009, 08:39 PM
Okay give me a few I used a base for my Remington 552 that converted the 3/8 rail to a weaver style base that will let you use the rings that came with the sope.

TomADC
October 17, 2009, 08:48 PM
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=153855

Check these out simular to what I used.

c5_nc
October 17, 2009, 09:27 PM
I bought and returned 3 of them. The internals are made of butter. If you turn the elevation knob up and down then test them again they will be broken. A turn up will take it it up and to the right. You will have to shoot it or strap it down and look through scope then move knobs. It doesn't have any features, but the $20 Simmons 3-9 scopes actually work and are pretty clear.

hometheaterman
October 19, 2009, 01:49 AM
This thread until the last post is making me want one of these scopes. I've read several good things about this brand. So are they good or not?

My thing is I always seem to get suckered into a 3x9 for various reasons. The first scope I ever got was a 3x9x32 for a .22 rifle and I don't need anymore than that. Worked fine. Then on the Leupold I bought next I didn't want to pay the extra for the higher power ones as they were quite a bit more. Then on another one I got a awesome clearance deal on one but it was a 3x9x40mm. So it just always seems like I get a 3x9 due to price. However, I've found I really want more than that. I really want a 4x16 power and this is a scope that's actually affordable. Someday I may change my mind but as of right now I have absolutely on desire to spend $500 on a scope.

This thing just seemed super cheap for what it is. Are there better options in the $100 and under price range in this power range? Seems like everything with this power range is super expensive for the most part.

wcoats
October 19, 2009, 02:04 AM
I just picked on up, and put it on my rifle, I won't be able to test it out until next weekend, I'll let everyone know how it works then.

Maverick223
October 19, 2009, 02:14 AM
HTM, 3-9x is by far the most common variable power scope, so I completely understand your predicament. A 3-9x is often less costly than a comparable 1-4x scope simply because they produce and sell more. For the most part I find optics that have high magnification to be more of a nuisance than beneficial. I do however like a nice high powered scope for long range, but when hunting I generally prefer a lower power to permit a greater field of view and faster target acquisition. Also, I do not find this to be the case with .22lr, and certainly not the case with the .17cal rimfires as the additional magnification (and adjustable parallax) is often very useful for even short distances while target shooting and plinking (small bullets have a nasty tendency to make small holes). I do not own the scope in question, but think the magnification level is nearly ideal. It is small enough to hunt squirrel and other small game with, and large enough to see targets at longer ranges without unnecessary magnification that can cause mirage. FWIW I believe the scope will serve you well...it has too many good reviews to be a poor quality optic; however I would not expect Zeiss glass quality or Nightforce durability either. :)

Ignition Override
October 19, 2009, 02:23 AM
There is no pain or discomfort at all, due to the anesthesiologist. One moment you are looking at an attractive young nurse-the next, you are slowly waking up.
If a polyp is found they remove it on the spot and there is no indication of the removal. Somebody will need to drive you home.

The examination can save your life.

saturno_v
October 19, 2009, 02:47 AM
To the original poster...

I own 4 of them and going for the fifth.

They are installed on my Marlin 336 30-30, my two 30-06 and my Weatherby Vanguard 338 Win Mag...not exactly rimfire rigs.

The glass is decent, they are a bit heavy, finishing is very good for the price.

The carry lifetime warranty, no question to ask, and when you call customer service (I did because I wanted to buy a couple of extra plastic caps....they sent it for free...) you immediately get someone on the phone from the US that can actually understand English....
They are made by Crossman and they are dead serious in breaking into the market for affordable quality scopes.....the company says that the 4-16 X 40 has been proofed up to a 416 Rigby, recoil wise.

You cannot beat the features for the money....I read some complains that the turret adjustment can be a bit iffy...actually if people would take time to look at what they buy or at least read the instructions they could see that you can adjust the "crispness" of the turret adjustment with an hex key (provided with the package)...I think it is a very nice feature to have.
The provided scope rings are the few ones I saw left with still 4 bolts per ring...they are tough.

They hold zero perfectly...and return to zero between changes....so far no problems at all....Would I use one for a professional competition??? Probably not, however one of my range buddies has one in his Rem 700 300 Win Mag and he did quite well in "informal" long range shooting competiton contexts.

I heard some sporadic problems with a "bad batch" a year ago but they were promptly exchanged or repaired, again no question to ask.

Even today I took my 30-30, my Mauser 30-06 and my 338 WM to the range....had fun and the scopes did they job perfectly...

Buy it..you will be a happy camper...

If someone start to bad mouthing you about your "Chinese scope" tell them that even Leupold produces scopes in China....my expensive Leupold Magnetic boresighter is made in China...

Do you have any info to back up that statement? My 338 Win Mag doesn't think so.....why commenting on something you don't know?

http://bxj9aa.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pTzAqS9xpP6faVx84EmHGt-sSu66Gc5WsIeLzg-LAvND5m4gLHovTFtIyJIpyvQ2q8T1Y-ZJ-giPORSYQRVGTOg/Centerpoint%20Scopes%20Resized.jpg

lobo9er
October 19, 2009, 09:27 PM
nice pic saturno!

Quote:

Do you have any info to back up that statement? My 338 Win Mag doesn't think so.....why commenting on something you don't know? MY 590 12 ga hasn't minded it either

this weekend checked zero on my mossberg 590 12 guage still zeroed where i had it. did some fudging with it at 40 yards got it dead on. this weekend gonna try again but stretch out the range a bit out to 75 yardish. cousin gave it a shot 1st one smacked him in the fore head pretty good (eye relief is a bit close, only down fall) didn't mess up zero a bit. so far so good for me, on a 12 gauge with slugs none the less.

Ignition Override must have got into the wrong line at WalSmart looking for the scope

panoz77
October 19, 2009, 09:46 PM
Mine is on a 91/30 and works just fine, it handles 7.62x54r so I think it MIGHT work on a .22 also.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u142/panoz77/DSC03135.jpg

wcoats
October 19, 2009, 10:24 PM
Saturno V, Thanks for that post! Thats what I was looking for, people who had actual experience with the scope. I just put one on my .22 and will get a chance to test it out this weekend, I'm hoping the additional magnification will keep me from having to rent a spotting scope at the range. With the good feedback from people who have this scope I'm thinking of picking up another one to go in place of the 3-9X40 I currently have on my 30-06, but I'm kinda afraid people would give me a hard time about it being overkill for deer hunting, lol.

c5_nc
October 19, 2009, 10:38 PM
I've had plenty of actual experience with them also. If you use them like a tactical scope (ie. dial in elevation) the knobs fail. They start off with 54-56moa of travel (the knobs move over 60moa but the recticle only moves for 54moa of it). If you dial the knobs up and down a couple times the last ~10moa of up actually moves the reticle up and right, depending on the scope, and you loose some travel also and are left with 25-30moa then. The great thing is Walmart takes them back for cash refund. I also took a new one out of the box and put on my 50bmg Bohica, it held 2 shots POI. I moved the knobs after that and they failed like others. Go buy one, cut the plastic case open with a razor blade so it will make it easier to return the scope. Mount it on something stable where you can see the reticle travel when you move knobs, take them up and down a couple times. Return to walmart for your ~$74 back.

Leapers sales the same scope for about the same price ($79). There really aren't other scopes with same features in same price range that are good either. The Bushnell 3200 10x tactical is great for $160. The $50-90 Intensity scopes lack mildots or target knobs but are worlds ahead of the centerpoints in glass quality.

AKElroy
October 19, 2009, 10:52 PM

Am I the only redneck that likes to shoot stuff after dark?

Maverick223
October 19, 2009, 10:55 PM
Am I the only redneck that likes to shoot stuff after dark?No you are the only redneck that didn't notice the spelling. :neener:

JCisHe
October 19, 2009, 11:08 PM
Hahaha!!!!!

saturno_v
October 19, 2009, 11:28 PM
I've had plenty of actual experience with them also. If you use them like a tactical scope (ie. dial in elevation) the knobs fail. They start off with 54-56moa of travel (the knobs move over 60moa but the recticle only moves for 54moa of it). If you dial the knobs up and down a couple times the last ~10moa of up actually moves the reticle up and right, depending on the scope, and you loose some travel also and are left with 25-30moa then. The great thing is Walmart takes them back for cash refund. I also took a new one out of the box and put on my 50bmg Bohica, it held 2 shots POI. I moved the knobs after that and they failed like others. Go buy one, cut the plastic case open with a razor blade so it will make it easier to return the scope. Mount it on something stable where you can see the reticle travel when you move knobs, take them up and down a couple times. Return to walmart for your ~$74 back.

Leapers sales the same scope for about the same price ($79). There really aren't other scopes with same features in same price range that are good either. The Bushnell 3200 10x tactical is great for $160. The $50-90 Intensity scopes lack mildots or target knobs but are worlds ahead of the centerpoints in glass quality.

C5_nc

Never had that problem

I think you got one of the infamous "bad batch" and you should have returned to the company rather than Wal Mart for an exchange.

I use them for elevation all the time....and I did test all 4 of them for reticle adjustment issues before putting them on my rifles....I hope you know that you could adjust the crispness of the knobs with an hex key...that may have resolved some of your problem right there.

Mine (and others I know) have no issues at all

Fully coated lens, fog proof, shock proof and water proof

The zero locking rings is a nice feature not available in several scopes that cost much more

Now, putting that scope on a 50 BMG rifle (and a rather light one) sorry but, no offense, it was rather dumb.

And yes I know what a bad scope look like....the last one I saw was a brand new BSA self destructing on a 22....

Flash!
October 20, 2009, 12:03 AM
I have four of these scopes.... two on 308's, 1 on 17hmr, and 1 one .223..... they are excellent scopes for the money. Are they as good as a Leupold or Zeiss? of course not.... but they do what they are intended to do..... and they hold zero.. I have about 500 rounds thru one of my 308's and it is still holding zero from when I mounted it a year or so back. As I don't use these at dusk or early morning, I will not testify as to light gathering capabilities, but they work great for me in my mid day shooting.

saturno_v
October 20, 2009, 12:36 AM
I have four of these scopes.... two on 308's, 1 on 17hmr, and 1 one .223..... they are excellent scopes for the money. Are they as good as a Leupold or Zeiss? of course not.... but they do what they are intended to do..... and they hold zero.. I have about 500 rounds thru one of my 308's and it is still holding zero from when I mounted it a year or so back. As I don't use these at dusk or early morning, I will not testify as to light gathering capabilities, but they work great for me in my mid day shooting.

+1

If you want a tactical scope capable of taking a 50 BMG beating or for very heavy duty/jungle warfare/ extremely harsh environment use look elsewhere.

Many people use them to harvest game very successfully or even the occasional/non professional 800+ yards shot.

sanjose
January 5, 2011, 12:59 AM
Hi, I am planning to buy this centerpoint 4 16x40mm scope as well for a Sako A7 in 30-06. What are the better rings for it Burris Zee Signature or Warnes? Do not have a lapping tool.
Also whats height should I get...Low, medium or High?
Thanks!

K-Rod
January 5, 2011, 03:42 AM
TomADC,

don't you just love that .17!!! I have the same rifle with the same results. Love that Tackdriver!! Believe it or not, I've used it for yotes out to 210yrds. DRT with the 17gr V-Max.

"Illuminated Retcal"!! You guys crack me up!!!

Buy the scope keep the reciept. Use it till 90days don't like it take it back & get your money. I think you'll be happy with it though.

BrocLuno
January 5, 2011, 01:43 PM
Think I'll get one and see what the fuss is about. Hell, I have more scopes than rifles, but it never hurts to have another to compare with :)

I got an 06 that ought to give it its fair share of testing :)

nwilliams
January 5, 2011, 02:42 PM
I have a CenterPoint 4-16 scope and one of the CenterPoint 1x34 red dot sights as well.

Really hard to beat for the price, far better than BSA or NcStar IMO.

hardluk1
January 5, 2011, 03:18 PM
I also have a Center Point 4-16 on my ruger custom 22 and it works just fine. been on about 7 months of shooting amost ever weekend till the snow started. Would i buy another ,YES

IdahoLT1
January 5, 2011, 07:41 PM
Hi, I am planning to buy this centerpoint 4 16x40mm scope as well for a Sako A7 in 30-06. What are the better rings for it Burris Zee Signature or Warnes? Do not have a lapping tool. Also whats height should I get..Low, medium or High? Thanks!

In my opinion, if you're spending $700-$800 on a hunting rifle, you should put a somewhat decent scope on it. Nikon monarchs, bushnell 4200 and Zeiss conquest all have excellent 3-9x40 scopes ~$300. You can find much better scopes for $50 more that the centerpoint.

Light transmission and durability(weather/water proof) are some of the most important things to consider when looking for a hunting scope. I'm sorry but a $70 scope can't compete.

Stevie-Ray
January 5, 2011, 08:14 PM
This thing just seemed super cheap for what it is. Are there better options in the $100 and under price range in this power range? Seems like everything with this power range is super expensive for the most part. Somebody said it was made by Leapers. If that's true, then it's probably worth it to try. I've got a 4-16X50 Leapers IR on a FAL. It was an experiment to see if the rifle deserved a decent scope. But, I'm so impressed with the Leapers I'm leaving it on til it breaks or fails, if it ever does. It cost me only a hundred bucks or so.

Mags
January 5, 2011, 08:44 PM
Didn't want to add to this year long thread but this:
Somebody said it was made by Leapers.
Is not true they are made by Crossman.

http://www.crosman.com/airguns/

Click on the optics tab and the Center Point site will load.

BTW I have had one on a .308 for close to a year now in the 4-16 MD it works well for a budget scope as long as you know what it is and is not.

BrocLuno
January 6, 2011, 02:40 PM
See comments in: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=457521&page=3

I think it's OK and better than some others in that price category?

HankC
January 6, 2011, 08:44 PM
It is Leapers, just carry Crosman's name. Crosman does not make scopes! It is Leapers 5th Gen scope. Well made. If you broke one, you can always return it at Walmart!

Mags
January 6, 2011, 10:06 PM
Hank, proof please.

While I do beleive Crossman does not make scopes, alot of scopes such as Leapers and NC Star are made in the same place and just marked different for the distributor. I really don't beleive NC Star or Leapers manufacture scope for that matter.

JDMorris
January 6, 2011, 10:35 PM
I like my Nikon Prostaff, the glass's clarity is really good.

mwheue
February 7, 2011, 12:09 AM
Centerpoint is a new division of Crosman. Read last couple paragraphs in below link.

http://www.crosman.com/airguns/resources/about

husker
February 7, 2011, 01:17 AM
I have a 3X9-32
1 knob is so tight you need pliers to turn it. does this tool you speak of work on other center point scopes? i just looked. Didn't see any set screws or anything that would lead me to believe it would. But thought I would ask.
saturno_v
You have convinced me to try one those scopes on a mini 14
On the cheap side.= 100 bucks. I did buy an older Philippine made Simmons 2.8X10-44 Aetech recently
Its way better glass than the Ednar it replaced. I want another to try on a AR-15.

BrocLuno
February 7, 2011, 01:40 AM
The 3x9's are reported to have some issues :( The others seem to be fine :)

hardluk1
February 7, 2011, 10:37 AM
I have a 4-16 centerpoint from wally world on a custom ruger 10/22 for about a year now. Shot several thousand rounds with it and like the scope for target use. I will adjust from 25, 50 and 100 yards and back just fine. Price is right. I have not used the light and don't intend to. To darn many scope snobs out there just for a fun gun.

husker I had one bushnell that i had to send back and was replaced quickly. You could not turn thr adjusters. It now is on a son-in-laws 22. Works good.. My main hunting rifle also wears a 3.8-14 simmon atec from there first year and is a great scope and has been for many years . I was going to upgrade but it works very well in low light at dusk and dawn just as well as some scope at way higher prices. Also have a simmonns 2.8 to 10 atec from the mead years on a 308 that is just as good but doesn't have near the rounds shot or the wear and tear on it. Bought on sale for 108 dollars from natchez a few years ago. Only ,what, 14 to 18 years diffence in age between the atecs. I used a cheap red dot on a 357 revolver for 20 years for hunting and it worked great. Moved to a 22 ruger pistol for a couple more years and it just stopped working one day, something loss in the power switch . Good 38 dollar investment.

BrocLuno
February 7, 2011, 12:28 PM
Somebody said it was made by Leapers. If that's true, then it's probably worth it to try. I've got a 4-16X50 Leapers IR on a FAL. It was an experiment to see if the rifle deserved a decent scope. But, I'm so impressed with the Leapers I'm leaving it on til it breaks or fails, if it ever does. It cost me only a hundred bucks or so.
If you want to know the origin of any of theses Chinese scopes, just go to Alibaba and do a search for riflescope (all one word - they way they do it in China) and the brand or feature you are interested in. It will show you the MFGs and their related lines.

CenterPoint does not show up, so my guess is it's a custom labeling on a standard scope by one of the many MFGs. Here's an example:

http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?SearchText=riflescope+4-16x40E+AO&Country=&IndexArea=product_en&fsb=y

I think these folks might be building the CP scopes? The big deal in Chinese scopes is to get ones actually rated for recoil. There are many. If you do a search with shockproof or 1000g you'll see which ones are built for abuse. You'll also see that their prices are a fair bit higher than the run of the mill stuff.

One of the fun searches is to do riflescope and BSA and see what you get? BSA has not made a scope in England for many decades. That may be OK as they ran Hong Kong for many years and probably have decent supply chain. But the ones showing up in Alibaba searches do not seem that well built now days :(

husker
February 7, 2011, 04:38 PM
Are any scopes still made in the Philippines? In all honesty I know ZERO about scopes. But recently have been led to believe, that scopes made in the Philippines.
Diamond grind the glass. or have better tooling ect to grind the glass. & that this makes their glass better than Japan & China ground glass. When talking about lower dollar scopes. Hens, why I made sure the Simmons Aetech I bought off of Ebay,was made in the Philippines.

fortyfiveminutes
February 7, 2011, 04:52 PM
Centerpoint is a new division of Crosman. Read last couple paragraphs in below link.

http://www.crosman.com/airguns/resources/about
I’m new here, so please bear with me while I learn this groups style.

The last paragraph in that link, http://www.crosman.com/airguns/resources/about, states, "Today, Crosman Corporation is an international designer, manufacturer and marketer of Crosman pellet and BB rifles and pistols, Copperhead ammunition, high quality Benjamin pellet rifles and ammunition, airsoft rifles and pistols, crossbows and precision optics...."

Someone who is an English reading/writing guru, please help me with this. I interpret the word “and” in that sentence to mean that all the words “designer, manufacturer and marketer” are included at the same time. In other words,

Crosman Corporation is an international designer of... precision optics....

And

Crosman Corporation is an international manufacturer of... precision optics....

And

Crosman Corporation is an international marketer of precision optics....

Is this the correct interpretation of that sentence on the Crossman website? If so, they are claiming to be designers and manufacturers of “precision optics”.

BrocLuno
February 7, 2011, 07:03 PM
I think it's convenient writing? I also think they do all three and some of them well, just not at the same time. You'd have to contact them to see if they actually own a plant in China making scopes?

But, from what I've seen - most suppliers using Chinese scopes either buy an existing catalog item and have it badged as they wish (labeling is about $5 each for scope and retail package in lots of 1000 or more), or they have a contractor build a scope to their specifications. The latter is much less common as there are about 25 scope makers in China with a total collective catalog that numbers in the 100's of models. Most designs are already covered.

In case anyone thinks that the Chinese do not know how to build high quality scopes (?), think again. Yeah sure, they will build you anything to a price point including $25 wholesale. But they also market to LE and Military customers worldwide. Look at the high end stuff from Vector Optics and you'll see some of their work. Some of these FFP scopes are world class.

Regarding the Philippines - Nikon makes the Pro-Staff there. Bushnell made some of their better Elite line there. TASCO made some of their military contract items there. I'm not sure who else in making current product in the Philippines?

hardluk1
February 9, 2011, 12:42 PM
My last two 30mm 6-24 tactical BSA scopes both are Philipinne, atleast thats what the sticker said.

BrocLuno
March 2, 2011, 01:09 AM
Being tested here: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=326711&page=4 :)

jon_in_wv
March 14, 2011, 10:34 PM
I've shot quite a few rounds through mine on a 7mm Remington Mag. I only shot it at 100 yards but I can tell you it was easy to zero and it has held zero without problem for a few hundred rounds. I can't speak to how it would perform if I did a lot of elevation/windage changes but it really works well for the money. Those that bash them usually have never even tried one.

Kurt_D
March 15, 2011, 02:29 AM
The scope itself is better than Tasco and the cheap Bushnell stuff but not as clear as the budget Nikon and Leupolds. Of course, it's less than half the price of the Nikon/Leupold with some nice features at a Tasco price.

I don't like the illuminated rectical because the method they use sucks and lights up the whole tube. BUT it does make a good "tactical" scope for a .22, .17, etc. and should work well for some centerfire too. It comes with high rings for an AR style rifle. I mean as long as you understand it's no Leupold Mk4, Nightforce, Nikon competitor all is good.

Col. Plink
March 15, 2011, 12:31 PM
Have had good performance w/ 3-9x32 (on a Saiga 308, looks boss too)

1stmarine
March 15, 2011, 10:54 PM
Ain't no point in the center point.

A) Burris Timberline with drop comp reticule.
B) Simmons mag44 mildot or truplex
C) Nikon Pro staff (best glass)

HOOfan_1
March 15, 2011, 11:02 PM
I have a Centerpoint...I have a Simmons 44 Mag...the Centerpoint has better glass. The 44 Mag is like looking through a fish eye it is so foggy around the edge, and it cost more than the Centerpoint

1stmarine
March 15, 2011, 11:04 PM
might be a bad one. I had one with an issue but then got 2 more without problems.
Try the Burris. of all the reticules this is the finest one. Lifetime warranty that you never use.

jbr
March 15, 2011, 11:15 PM
Mind you be be carefull - I heard all that illumination can give you rectal, i mean retical irritation!

Mike1234567
August 19, 2011, 03:47 PM
I really wish people would stop discussing "illuminated rectals", LOL!!:D:barf::D

BrocLuno
October 30, 2011, 12:52 AM
Some Dr's require them :)

Art Eatman
October 30, 2011, 01:27 AM
Let's wait and see how the OP likes his new toy...

If you enjoyed reading about "Center Point 4-16X40 scope from Walmart, should I buy it???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!