Gun Saver/Goldenrod dehumidifiers

PDA

TxBaaylea
October 16, 2009, 10:49 PM
My gun locker is home made but plenty secure.I am trying to figure out how much clearance to allow above the dehumidifier unit. What is the surface temperature? The locker is set horixontal.

Based on cubic footage the 18" is more than adequate. Dues it need to be shielded to prevent my guns from coming into contact with it.

Vernon

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Saver/Goldenrod dehumidifiers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
KingMedicine
October 17, 2009, 03:32 AM
I have one in my safe. Its warm to the touch, but not hot enough to do any damage. I doubt it will do much to anything near it when its not close to burning skin...

david_the_greek
October 20, 2009, 08:05 AM
We've had one for years. I have one in my gun safe that has been running since my father bought it, likely well over 10 years.

JohnBT
October 20, 2009, 09:02 AM
I've had 3 GoldenRods for 15 to 20 years. I keep my guns 2 or 3 inches away from them, just in case they're hot enough to melt a pad or haze a stock finish. With the GR along the front or back of the safe floor it's easy to keep the guns away from it and that's where the GR should be anyway.

If you store your long guns barrel down it's really easy.

John

Keizer
October 20, 2009, 11:24 AM
Is it a good idea to plug the golden rod into a surge protector?

Owen
October 20, 2009, 12:11 PM
Keizer, it won't hurt it, but I doubt is necessary. AFAIK, Its just a little heater.

a1abdj
October 20, 2009, 02:08 PM
Check the wattage of the rod. Some are higher than others. The higher wattage rods will get hot that they are uncomfortable to touch, and may cause heat damage.

JohnBT
October 20, 2009, 05:06 PM
I've never used a surge protector. Never even thought of it. And we have lots of thunderstorms and flickering lights and stuff.

I have 3 different lengths and I think the temps are about equal. Let's see what I can turn up. John

www.goldenroddehumidifiers.com/faqs.htm

"GoldenRodŽ heats to a surface temperature of less than 150 degrees (which is almost too warm to hold) and circulates warm, dry air throughout an enclosure on a 24 hour basis."

LENGTH - WATTS
12" 12
18" 18
24" 25
36" 38

Appears to be straightforward and pretty even; a watt per inch. - JT

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Saver/Goldenrod dehumidifiers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!