500 S&W as single shot ctg?

PDA

russlate
November 4, 2003, 06:13 AM
It seems to equal the old 50-90 "Big" Sharps and even the 50-140 ( 3&1/4" ) Sharps out of an 8" barrel. I understand that it is loaded up to near 60,000 PSI/ or somewhat above 55,000 cup

so it's way overpressure a round for traditional leverguns.

But what of the Browning High-Wall replica, or in a reintroduced Ruger No.3 ( a variant of the No. ! Ruger? Add 10 more inches of barrel to 18"s, and a velocity increase of between 25 and 35 added feet per second per each added inch. Now we have something!

400 grain bullet at 1675 fps out of 8" - add 200 to 300 fps out of carbine.
440 grain bullet at 1625 fps out of 8" - add 200 to 300 fps out of carbine.

Be a nice hog or bear gun in close cover seems to me. No 700 grain bullet option like in the 50-140, but that would seem unnecessary.

Sounds interesting to me. Thought on this?

If you enjoyed reading about "500 S&W as single shot ctg?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Black Snowman
November 4, 2003, 11:04 AM
I've sort of looked at it as the big brother to the .444 Marlin and as such a good candidate for a handy short barreled rifle. Muzzle enery is on par with a .270 with the heavier bullets and a .308 on the ligher bullets which is quite a lot for a slug with a minimum weight of 300 grains.

It would be possible to make a lever gun that would handle those pressures but it would pretty much have to be a ground-up new design. I don't think any exisiting reciever could handle the job except maybe some of the .454 chambered guns. Even then, reaming out another .05 of an inch is going to lose you a lot of strength.

For dangerous game I'd rather have a repeater. Even if I had to take the weight and length penelties to go bolt action to get it. Double rifle maybe? Would be pretty heavy to carry though . . . hmm . . .

Other thoughts folks?

Brian Williams
November 4, 2003, 12:06 PM
I would like to see something in a NEF Handi rifle. If it can handle the 45/70 & 30.06 it should handle the 500S&W.

I would like to see a Browning HI/Lo wall commercially produced and a cheaper format.

larryw
November 4, 2003, 12:12 PM
Sign me up for a Marlin 1895 in 500SW! Then, maybe (and its a stong maybe), I'd have a reason to buy that revo.

If you enjoyed reading about "500 S&W as single shot ctg?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!