GLOCK 17 9mm VS. GLOCK 22 40 Caliber

PDA

15guns
October 20, 2009, 03:53 PM
Which pistol would you buy and why? A Glock 17 9mm with 2 17 round mags or a Glock 22 40 Caliber with 2 15 round mags.

If you enjoyed reading about "GLOCK 17 9mm VS. GLOCK 22 40 Caliber" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
KBintheSLC
October 20, 2009, 04:05 PM
I would get a Glock 19 or a Glock 23 so you can also carry it concealed. Or perhaps a G26 or G27. Unless you are a cop or something, I see no reason to go with the G17/22... but that is just one mans lousy opinion.

15guns
October 20, 2009, 04:11 PM
Well I just want it for home defense. I like the long barrel because it's more accurate than a g19 or g26. Plus the capcity is good for a g17. I've owned 15guns so far. I had a used g19 and a new g26. So the price they still can't be beat. sig has the p250s out now but I bet they can rust and I'm not sure how reliable they are compared to glocks. I seen a p250 in 9mm with 2 20 round mags for only 519 on a website. I think they 40 caliber one is like over 629 but it has a 17 round capacity. I can get used G17s for like 468 before taxes plus I can use 2 plus adders to the mags to have 19 round mags or even get a 33 round mag for it. But law enforcement changed to 40 caliber so I think I should buy a g22 over the g17.

KBintheSLC
October 20, 2009, 06:16 PM
Honestly, it sounds like you have a personal choice to make based on your own needs. I think the practical difference between 9mm and 40 is negligible at best. One gives you a tiny bit more power, the other gives you a tiny bit more capacity. If you are dead set on getting a full sized 40, I might recommend you look at the G20 in 10mm... a simple barrel conversion will let you shoot 40 SW, and you still have the option to use the "real" .40 caliber load (AKA 10mm Auto).

Have fun out there.

easyg
October 20, 2009, 06:20 PM
First let me say that you can't go wrong with either gun.
With proper shot placement both calibers can be effective at stopping human predators.

I personally chose the Glock 22.
I'm not concerned about the lesser magazine capacity as most self defense shootings don't involve 16+ rounds being fired.
Heck, I'm usually perfectly happy with a 5-shot revolver, but in a home defense gun why go small, right?

Also in a full sized pistol I prefer a bigger and heavier bullet.
I would have gotten a Glock 21 .45ACP but the dang thing is just too fat for grip.

ByAnyMeans
October 20, 2009, 07:48 PM
Since I believe these are both the same size model I would shoot em both. Whichever you are most accurate with in the best time would be my choice. Then load it up with a quality hollow point and train with your weapon.

daveit
October 20, 2009, 08:14 PM
I like the 9mm....I like to shoot and I can afford to shoot a 9mm a lot more so I'm more comfortable. As far as CCW...I'm wearing the G17 now and I can easily conceal it (I'm 5'11 and 170lbs) in my Crossbreed Supertuck. I did get the RTF2 model and it's a little rough on the skin though...probably not too worse than the "skateboard grips" Might sand it a bit...still not decided. My regular CCW is an XD9sc...I got the Glock for IDPA & general taget shooting.

What's the primary purpose you are wanting the gun for?

15guns
October 20, 2009, 08:33 PM
I want to get a used one for home defense. I shouyld be able to find a G17 easy used. But a g22 I bet would be harder. 40s are able to take out targets easier at longer ranges than 9mm. I've used them in video games. Yes I have owned real ones to. I heard glock 21s in 45 acp are hard to handle because they are to light. You get a 13 round mag with those. Glocks are cheap and they won't rust. So many other high end pistols cost to much nowadays. I heard the springfeild xd is probably one of the best guns out there now but their price tag is to high for me. They are like 629 before taxes just for a 9mm one with a 19 round mag. You can buy a new G17 for under 600 and put a 2 plus adder on the mags. Whay pay more for a xd? Heck I seen new 40s foe under 600 for glocks even
the g22. Used I'm not sure how much they go for. They got 15 round mags. XDs in 40 have 16 round mags. I have a 22 caliber rifle right now but I don't want to part with it unless I get a good offer for it. I put some money into it. I don't even like target shooting anymore. That's why I just want a good pistol for home defense. My 22 has a 25 round mag but 22s don't have that much power. I would trade my rifle for a used G17 with 2 17 round mags. I still think I would be better off with a 40. I used 45s and 40 in video games. The mark 23 socom by H&K was the best pistol I shot but those are big heavy guns and have 12 round mags. This was in video games. Then the next best one was a H&K usp 40 caliber. 9mms was weak for killing at longer ranges. Having 17 rounds was nice though. One game I used to own had a g17 in it.

Pistol Toter
October 20, 2009, 08:46 PM
The MODEL 21

Damon555
October 20, 2009, 08:57 PM
If I were to give advice to someone who had never owned a pistol I would say the 9mm 17/19 would be the way to go....I've found it much easier to handle and shoot than the .40 cal models. If you have some experience I would still say 9mm.....I think as far as handguns go everyone should own at least 1-9mm and 1-.45 ACP. Of course either one is better than neither one! This is just my opinion.

What ever you get, be safe and enjoy learning to shoot it accurately.

(Please don't relate any form of video game use of a weapon to any real life situation)

ckone
October 20, 2009, 09:02 PM
W/O starting a caliber war, you can shoot a G17 about twice as much for the same money, meaning twice the training/familiarity... ANY popular handgun caliber is a compromise so in an SD situation I'd plan on shooting more than one round... JMHO.

coinshooter
October 20, 2009, 09:12 PM
Glock 17 with nightsights plus at least 1 happy stick (33 round mag).

possum
October 20, 2009, 10:04 PM
i would get the 17. 9mm cheaper ammo, therefore more range time/ training.

johnson_n
October 20, 2009, 10:33 PM
9mm Glocks have far less reliability problems than their .40 s&w or .45 acp counterparts. Try an M&P40 if you want .40.

I like 9mm though so I'd choose the G17 (or M&P9). I currently have a G19 because I think it's the perfect size and weight for an all around gun.

Avenger29
October 20, 2009, 10:39 PM
Forget anything you have ever learned about firearms in video games. Just wipe it from your head.

40s are able to take out targets easier at longer ranges than 9mm. I've used them in video games.....The mark 23 socom by H&K was the best pistol I shot but those are big heavy guns and have 12 round mags. This was in video games. Then the next best one was a H&K usp 40 caliber. 9mms was weak for killing at longer ranges. Having 17 rounds was nice though. One game I used to own had a g17 in it.

This is a load of crap that you learned from video games. Let's put it this way: HK makes some good pistols. But the thing they have done the best at is getting their products in video games, which have no correlation to real life.

Go with the Glock 17. Buy spare mags. Buy ammo. Use Up. Repeat. Learn the weapon, love the weapon, become one with the weapon. Buy a weaponlight, because you need to ID your targets before pulling the trigger in an HD situation. Buy an Advantage Arms .22 caliber conversion kit. Practice until you can shoot very well.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with 9x19mm. Nothing wrong.

15guns
October 20, 2009, 11:06 PM
Ok Avenger. So why has so many in law enforcement switched to 40 calibers then?

Dan-O
October 20, 2009, 11:15 PM
I would get the 22. With a 9mm aftermarket barrel, 9mm ejector, and G-17 mag, you can have two guns in one.

Avenger29
October 20, 2009, 11:25 PM
Ok Avenger. So why has so many in law enforcement switched to 40 calibers then?

FBI shootout, Miami, 1986. FBI ended up adopting the .40 cal, many LE agencies followed suit. Glock pushed out the G22, early bird gets the worm kind of thing.

Look, really, .40 cal is nothing special. All of the major handgun calibers perform about the same when it comes to putting bullets into people. Also, keep in mind 9x19mm is still popular in LE circles, as is .45ACP and .357Sig.

Try shooting a .40 cal glock and compare it to shooting a 9mm glock. Buy whichever you like the best. Don't believe the hype that "9mm is a crappy Europellet round". Total bull.

NMGonzo
October 21, 2009, 07:04 AM
Read my sig

BCPerry
October 21, 2009, 10:49 AM
My best friend has about 30 years military and LE experience. He has become a firearms instructor the last ten years and knows his stuff. Has spent alot of time behind enemy lines as a marine sniper and then some time with Blackwater.

I have 13 years experience as a LEO. A good bit of training and shooting.

I shoot a G-22 and he shoots a G-19. No matter what anyone else's opinion is, and no matter what the stats of a gun are, both of these are truly reliable and the decision is what you want it to be.

joe_security
October 21, 2009, 12:22 PM
I believe you will find the G19 to be just as accurate as the G17. To me, compact is better.

reb27
October 21, 2009, 01:08 PM
I have had both. I now only have the G-17. So, I suppose that is my answer to the OPs question. But, really, as has been stated, you cannot go wrong with either one. Pick one, shoot the crap out of it and be happy with it.

aquapong
October 21, 2009, 01:19 PM
I own two 19's and two 22's. Personally, I prefer the 22's. I've never shot a 17, but I'm sure it'll work fine. Go try them out at a rental range if you have one around you.

ByAnyMeans
October 21, 2009, 01:24 PM
15guns, no disrespect intended but I would not reference video games as your source of information or experience with firearms. It will be invalid or pointless information and many on gun blogs may mess with you quite a bit about it.

You made a very valid point about police forces going away from 9mm to .40sw. As mentioned before some of this was due to the Miami shoot out, others moved away from 9mm because when they had failures to stop with it they jumped the gun to "we need a larger caliber" and don't look at the need for placement. Video games are different but in real life if you miss a vital area with a 9mm or 40s+w the only thing keeping someone from continuing to attack is mental not physical.
I recall one of these fairly large departments made the switch and the head of the police said that while they will change calibers and their police having comfort in what they carry is important he felt they would better spend the money on training to ensure they could shoot properly during a life and death situation. The cost of 9mm over 40s+w may allow that training.

You also referenced the lack of power from the 9mm over distances. Again, not a dig at you but in reality as opposed to video games your unlikely to reach the distances in which this may be true. Most self defense situation for the general public occur within 3 yards.
The longest handgun defense shooting I have personally heard of was 75 yards. It was made by a armed forces member (I think Air Force) with a 9mm.
Point being if you need to make a shot that long you have bigger issues than caliber and it's that you don't have a longarm. Then you can enter the 5.56 vs. 7.62 argument.

I'm not saying not to choose 40s+w, I just think you should make a choice based on real life vs. video games and not because of what a police dept does but what's good for your personal choices. They are both really good rounds in identical platforms. Really the only thing you should do is shoot them both in a comparison to see which one you are the most accurate with as well as quickest with follow up shots. If you can put three rounds in the x-ring in 5 sec. with a 40s+w but you get five rounds in the x-ring with a 9mm in 5 secs. then 9mm would be my choice. If they were the equal number of shots or one less than go 40s+w.

KBintheSLC
October 21, 2009, 02:51 PM
I used 45s and 40 in video games. The mark 23 socom by H&K was the best pistol I shot but those are big heavy guns and have 12 round mags. This was in video games.

Are you serious? You are using a video game to make real tactical decisions in real life? Comparing the performance of a virtual weapon in a fake world to a real weapon in a real world? And here I was thinking this was a serious discussion...

I hate to say it, but you need to get out of moms basement and get some fresh air. It will help.

easyg
October 21, 2009, 03:02 PM
W/O starting a caliber war, you can shoot a G17 about twice as much for the same money, meaning twice the training/familiarity...
I guess it depends upon where you're getting your ammo, but in my experience .40 ammo doesn't cost twice the price of 9mm ammo, just a few dollars more per box.

15guns
October 21, 2009, 03:45 PM
9mm was a wussy round in the games I've played. The only thing that was worse than that was a 22 caliber pistol. 45s and 40s did the best job in killing fast. I don't know what the miltary uses now but they were using 9mms. Navy seals uses a 45 H&K and a sig sauer p226 9mm.Well the last time I heard. Other branches were uses Beretta 9mm then g17 glock 9mms. Only law enforncement and even a swat team has switched to 40 calibers. One real swat team uses sig sauer p226 in 40 caliber with armour piercing rounds. I think they have elite model sigs. Umm I don't need training. I'm a good shot with semi auto pistols. The only thing I can see have a 9mm over a 40 is for a higher capacity. I heard capacity wins the gun fight. They tests a 9mm berreta on lock n load. They shot it rapid fire at a target. Emptied the whole mag in the target. They are great for that. The 9mm berreta replaced the colt 1911 45 acp in the military. I guess the glock 17 9mm replaced the berreta. I'm not sure. Glocks have more capcity than what berretas they use plus glocks are rust proof. Maybe that's why they switched.

15guns
October 21, 2009, 03:46 PM
It's a no brainer to want to buy a gun that's military proven.

MK11
October 21, 2009, 04:13 PM
Hoo boy.

johnson_n
October 21, 2009, 04:53 PM
I'm getting dumber reading his posts.

ByAnyMeans
October 21, 2009, 05:58 PM
Yea I tried to help him out but I give up. Given he is choosing his weapons off what special forces uses and his extensive experience as an operator (in his own mind) then I might be in trouble so I will stop. I mean he doesn't even need any training at all, we all better be careful.

Though I'm sure it just slipped your mind given all the tacticool information you have to store I will let you know that both the Beretta M9 and the Glock 17 have standard magazine capacity of 17 rounds.

Damon555
October 21, 2009, 06:13 PM
9mm was a wussy round in the games I've played. The only thing that was worse than that was a 22 caliber pistol. 45s and 40s did the best job in killing fast. I don't know what the miltary uses now but they were using 9mms. Navy seals uses a 45 H&K and a sig sauer p226 9mm.Well the last time I heard. Other branches were uses Beretta 9mm then g17 glock 9mms. Only law enforncement and even a swat team has switched to 40 calibers. One real swat team uses sig sauer p226 in 40 caliber with armour piercing rounds. I think they have elite model sigs. Umm I don't need training. I'm a good shot with semi auto pistols. The only thing I can see have a 9mm over a 40 is for a higher capacity. I heard capacity wins the gun fight. They tests a 9mm berreta on lock n load. They shot it rapid fire at a target. Emptied the whole mag in the target. They are great for that. The 9mm berreta replaced the colt 1911 45 acp in the military. I guess the glock 17 9mm replaced the berreta. I'm not sure. Glocks have more capcity than what berretas they use plus glocks are rust proof. Maybe that's why they switched.
Come on dude....enough with the video games!!! They have nothing to do with real life.......It's dangerous to assume that you don't need any training...Based on the info in your posts it's very apparent you have a lot to learn....You have been given some sound advice and it appears that you haven't even read over the responses. You need to take a step back and learn from real life experience. And to tell you the truth....The internet is a bad place to do that....

Birdmang
October 21, 2009, 06:17 PM
This is a troll. Mods should close this.

Avenger29
October 21, 2009, 06:58 PM
15guns is offline Report Post Quick reply to this message

You know what? I think you are better off sticking with the video games.

Your facts are pretty much incorrect, as they are derived from video games and heresay. The military still uses the Beretta as a general issue handgun, while Glocks are used in more limited capacities. Glocks are not rustproof, although the melonited finish of Glocks is excellent as far as corrosion protection.

One real swat team uses sig sauer p226 in 40 caliber with armour piercing rounds. I think they have elite model sigs.

Uh, no. LE uses the same premium jacketed hollowpoints that most serious minded civilians do.

9mmepiphany
October 21, 2009, 08:32 PM
Quote:
One real swat team uses sig sauer p226 in 40 caliber with armour piercing rounds. I think they have elite model sigs. Quote

Uh, no. LE uses the same premium jacketed hollowpoints that most serious minded civilians do.

and just for accuracy's sake the "elite model" sigs are actually just stainless sig models with an added beaver tail and their SRT trigger system..."Elite" only refers to the features added

it is pretty amusing to be quoted knowledge from a video game :D

makarovnik
October 21, 2009, 09:13 PM
Go with the .40

15guns
October 21, 2009, 10:07 PM
Birdmang you are a troll. :neener:

15guns
October 21, 2009, 10:08 PM
johnson n you are dumb. :neener:

David E
October 21, 2009, 11:23 PM
9mm was a wussy round in the games I've played. The only thing that was worse than that was a 22 caliber pistol. 45s and 40s did the best job in killing fast.

You say you've owned "15 guns"..............is that 15 video games that featured guns in them? 15 Water Blaster guns ? 15 Daisy's? Crosman's?

Seriously, if you base your "knowledge" on guns used in video games, you're going to embarass yourself everytime, including here.

I'd suggest buying some pepper spray and calling it good. Meanwhile, see if you can make it to level 25 in 'Mafia War's'..............:rolleyes:

15guns
October 21, 2009, 11:58 PM
I'll beat anyone of you at pacman.

ChCx2744
October 22, 2009, 01:03 AM
I smell ban-cakes :D

15guns
October 22, 2009, 01:55 AM
H&K USP was the best pistol I owned in real life out of 3 major brands I've owned in real life.

15guns
October 22, 2009, 01:57 AM
They have a heavy price tag now. That's there only down fall in my opinion.

Revolver Ocelot
October 22, 2009, 03:31 AM
If you ever plan on carrying it I'd still reccomend a glock 19 as its easier to carry (and it'll use glock 17 mags if you are so inclined). however should you not have any intention of carrying it and accuracy is a must then get the glock 17, or better yet pick up a 17L or 34, for someone that is still fairly new to guns its hard to beat 9mm, its cheap and available and when the shtf it'll kill someone just as dead as the 40 would.

Revolver Ocelot
October 22, 2009, 04:33 AM
i concur, I believe this is all bs

JCisHe
October 22, 2009, 04:54 AM
G17, ammo is cheap, fun to shoot, for just 17 bucks you can put some lighter springs, a ghost connector, and decal grips on it. Whalla, you have a great trigger and a firm grip.

I put Night Sights on mine and I love it. I wouldn't carry it concealed; got a smith 1911sc for that.

G17 has a great trigger reset when compared to a M&P. I can make quarter sized holes at 25 ft. I hated it at first but now I shoot the best with it. Long pull first round and then the shortest reset I've ever felt for each additional and with light springs and the ghost connector it's almost the same trigger as my 1911.

Dwrice
October 22, 2009, 08:45 AM
9mm Glocks have far less reliability problems than their .40 s&w or .45 acp counterparts. Try an M&P40 if you want .40.

I like 9mm though so I'd choose the G17 (or M&P9). I currently have a G19 because I think it's the perfect size and weight for an all around gun.

I carried a Glock 19 on duty for 8+ years as a duty weapon and did not have any problems with reliability. I bought it when we changed to M&P .45's. I also have an M&P .40 that is the best gun I have shot.

ByAnyMeans
October 22, 2009, 10:38 AM
You might take me at Pacman but I will crush you in Pong.

15guns
October 22, 2009, 11:25 AM
I would take down this post if I could. The Glock 17 9mm wins.

ny32182
October 22, 2009, 12:34 PM
My money is on "long time member screwing with you guys..."

sarduy
October 22, 2009, 12:40 PM
get a glock-17 because ammo is cheaper. and if you want a .40 get a sigma, they are $250 after mail rebate.

15guns
October 22, 2009, 02:07 PM
Sigmas are the first glock clones and I heard they are junk.

KBintheSLC
October 22, 2009, 03:59 PM
To the mods...

I am a little shocked that this garbage continues to flow for 3 pages now.

What gives?
Is anybody out there?

Autolycus
October 22, 2009, 07:55 PM
The horror, the horror.

Let the young man decide what he should do on his own. I would suggest saving up for the SOCOM as I suspect someone of his maturity level will not be able to do that.

Good luck with that 15guns.

soonerboomer
January 17, 2010, 11:43 PM
"40s are able to take out targets easier at longer ranges than 9mm. I've used them in video games." - 15guns

This might be the greatest thing I've ever read on this board. :D

Zerodefect
January 18, 2010, 12:54 AM
The compact g19 and g23 are alot more comfortable to wear at home. Even for home defense, having something that'll fit into a holster nicely is a good thing.

Get the G23. I used it to shoot my video game console. 9mm from my g19 just bounced off.:what:

Taurus_9mm
January 18, 2010, 01:41 AM
Personally I'd get the Glock 22 because I want another 40 S&W and I like the fact that I can purchase another barrel for it in .357 Sig.

www.gunnerforum.com

GlockFan
January 18, 2010, 01:48 AM
I wonder if OP went back to playing his video games. He should have asked his buddies there what gun to get. :p

Strahley
January 18, 2010, 01:51 AM
I was going to offer my opinion, but seeing as you are making choices based off video games, I'm headed to another thread

joe_security
January 18, 2010, 06:34 PM
Forget the video games and get real about firearms. Then get back to us.

NG VI
January 18, 2010, 06:50 PM
H&K USP was the best pistol I owned in real life out of 3 major brands I've owned in real life.

What about the minor brands you've owned?

And the US military does not issue Glock pistols in any capacity, and I am not talking about super-secret-double-sneaky units, I am talking about the military that everyone else is in. Besides the double-secret guys most likely don't care what they carry for a pistol, as long as they have plenty of magazines for their rifles.

Ben86
January 18, 2010, 09:24 PM
I chose the G17 because 9mm is my favorite caliber. For me it is the best balance of controllablilty/power/cost/availability.

NMGonzo
January 18, 2010, 11:15 PM
Hey 15 guns!

Nice cast ... well baited.

LeontheProfessional
January 18, 2010, 11:23 PM
Right now .40 is more available than 9mm.
.40 has greater knockdown power and muzzle energy.
9mm is cheaper and has less muzzle flip than .40.
9mm is also the most popular handgun round in the world so ammo should always be available even though .40 aint too far behind at least in the US.

Now with all that being said. The Glock 17 is too big a 9mm for me and the .40s&w is my favorite pistol round. Plus I can hunt with it here in Va. So I vote Glock 22

If you enjoyed reading about "GLOCK 17 9mm VS. GLOCK 22 40 Caliber" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!