SW M&P 340 vs Ruger LCR

PDA

gadegaard
October 20, 2009, 07:51 PM
Well after much debate and research I have finaly narrowed it down to a snubbie for a back up carry gun. I am really leaning toward the M&P because of the night sights and the option to shoot .357. The price,for ME, will be around the same so thats not too much of an issue. But what do you guys think? Thanks alot.

If you enjoyed reading about "SW M&P 340 vs Ruger LCR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MADBMW
October 20, 2009, 08:04 PM
I like both gun alot. I own an M&P 340 and chose it because of the XS night sight. It is my backup gun at work (worn on my ankle in a Galco ankle gove holster) and it's a good shooter. My only complaint with the gun is that the trigger is fairly heavy (like all J frame smiths). The LCR is supposed to have the best action out of the box of all the five shot J frame style revolvers due to the new cam system. Also, while it does not really matter, I like the look of the M&P 340 much better.

Lord Samwise
October 20, 2009, 10:41 PM
No complaints- I have convinced most of my friends they need to get one of these. Night sights are coming soon for this gun, I have been told.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff34/heavymetaltoy/100_4099.jpg

DAdams
October 20, 2009, 10:49 PM
340 and 2.5 years for me. Maybe 300 rounds. Can't help on the Ruger. I don't shoot much .357, but it's nice to know that I can run three different rounds through it. I have a 686 and both can share all three. .38spl, plus P and .357.

The 340 is my most carried pocket carry.

Does the Ruger have a lanyard pin? ;)

What's the finish and cylinder composition? I haven't been interested enough to check it out.

I have my pocket carry bases covered.

Here is the ultimate 340 thread.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=282173&highlight=M%26P+340

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/P1010003-3.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/P1010002.jpg

Bush Pilot
October 20, 2009, 10:52 PM
I rarely shoot my Smiths since getting an LCR.

gglass
October 20, 2009, 11:41 PM
LCR... For the same reason as I posted in the other forum. ;)

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/6176/rugerlcrchanel.jpg

ceadermtnboy
October 25, 2009, 05:09 PM
I decided to get either the 340 PD or the LCR. The 340 PD was 875.00 in my area but handled one and it was very nice. I went to another store to look at the LCR with laser for $710 . That store also had a 360 in 38 special that was a special run scandium frame and carbon cylinder 38 special +p for $529.00. After handling both and a few dry fires here were my impressions:

The trigger pull was nicer on the 360. Even tough the LCR had a little lighter pull the smoothness of the 360 made it feel nicer.

The LCR felt a little lighter even though both revolvers are listed at 13.5 oz.

The LCR was a little bigger (thicker in frame area near rear sights ) and just a hair longer.

The 360 felt much better in my had with the uncle mike boot grips.

I can take or leave the hammer spur ( I will ankle carry in a Renegade holster )

The 360 was much nicer looking , not very keen on the LCR appearance so pride of ownership factor favored the 360.

I ended up choosing the 360, laid it away and will pick up in a couple of weeks. I personally like S&W and Ruger revolvers but in my honest opinion the S&W was just nicer fit, finish, and feel. I will not have buyers remorse. By the way even though I really liked the 340 PD, it was not worth the extra 250 bucks to save two ounces, especially since I would only shoot 38 plus p.

InkEd
October 25, 2009, 10:13 PM
You will not be dissappointed aith the smith and wesson. Congrats.

John Wayne
October 25, 2009, 10:39 PM
gglas, you carry a Ruger in a Chanel bag?

I feel the trigger on the LCR is a lot smoother than the Smith, right out of the box. The LCR is in AirLite weight category, for Airweight price. The only thing I do not like are the factory grips on the LCR, they are comfy but way too big for pocket carry. I think Ruger put them on there intentionally so that people would rave about the lower perceived recoil.

I don't know what sighting options are available for the LCR, but Crimson Trace grips are an option. I want to get CT grips for my 442, but I can't find a style that doesn't feel like complete crap.

gglass
October 27, 2009, 05:35 PM
gglass, you carry a Ruger in a Chanel bag?

That's just mean!

The LCR is the handgun my wife chose to carry. The Chanel handbag is something you would find next to her LCR in her purse.

My wife also says that her LCR is little black dress approved.

John Wayne
October 27, 2009, 10:33 PM
That's just mean!

The LCR is the handgun my wife chose to carry. The Chanel handbag is something you would find next to her LCR in her purse.

My wife also says that her LCR is little black dress approved.

Haha, you gotta admit the picture does beg the question...

If you enjoyed reading about "SW M&P 340 vs Ruger LCR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!