Chinese Non-toxic shot

PDA

Sparky
October 21, 2009, 03:04 PM
Ok Guys...call me carzy BUT
Several months back I was perusing Handloader Mag at the local book emporium. In it was an article about a new super shot being imported from China. Heavier than lead. Safe in older guns. Ballistically magic as far as retained energy, energy transfer on target etc.

Now I cannot find out one shred of info on it.
Any help from all you well read reloading afficianados?

IIRC (as an aside) the author of the article passed away shortly after writing it and before it was published. He was a regular contributor.

My reason for all this is s fine old 16 bore Model 12 that is begging me to be taken duck hunting & working up a solid load with the new shot seems like a good idea. (Aren't they all ? lol):)

If you enjoyed reading about "Chinese Non-toxic shot" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ratshooter
October 21, 2009, 03:25 PM
I beleive the writer you are refering to was Wallace Labinski. I have all my back issues of rifle/handloader but don't remember that because I didn't read the shotgun articles.

You can go to riflemag.com and search the back issues and and when you find the correct issue it can be ordered. I have done this once and they ship fast.

rcmodel
October 21, 2009, 03:29 PM
See, that's why you should BUY the handloader magazines and keep them for future referance!

If all of us just looked at them on the newsstands, they would quickly be out of busness.

Wallace Labisky was the writer who passed away, Oct 2007, #249 was the issue, and the shot he talked about was TSS.

https://www.tungstensupershot.com/pages/storefront.asp

rc

~z
October 21, 2009, 03:38 PM
Hard to believe anything coming out of China these days doesnt have lead in it
~z

rcmodel
October 21, 2009, 03:42 PM
Shhhhhhh!!!!!

It probably does!

Or maybe they used all the lead they had in baby toy paint and didn't have enough left to make shot?

rc

~z
October 21, 2009, 03:54 PM
Shhhhh!!!!

I'm using baby toys for casting
~z

AndreaCarrara
October 21, 2009, 05:53 PM
"Chinese" and "non-toxic" don't match well together...

ants
October 21, 2009, 06:02 PM
During the investigation of lead-based paint on exported toys, it was discovered that China does not use lead paint on their own toys. Just the toys they export to other countries. Thank you, China.

Tungsten Shot:
Tungsten shot wasn't invented in China, but they make it cheaper. China ranks number one in the world in terms of tungsten resources and reserves. Their labor is also cheap. Most tungsten shot is produced by the MIM process, which is pretty slow compared to dropping from a shot tower. But China has more tungsten reserves and cheaper labor than America, so imported tungsten shot is getting more affordable. But I think it still costs more than lead shot, doesn't it?

If you enjoyed reading about "Chinese Non-toxic shot" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!