Who makes the best 9mm pistol?

PDA

15guns
October 21, 2009, 09:11 PM
Vote for the best 9mm semi auto pistol.

If you enjoyed reading about "Who makes the best 9mm pistol?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Quack
October 21, 2009, 09:19 PM
what price range?

the best 9mm that i own is my STI Edge.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/Quackzilla/Guns/DSC_8056.jpg

here's my other favorite 9mm
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/Quackzilla/Guns/DSC_0456.jpg

Muddflap
October 21, 2009, 09:22 PM
If there are 50 manufactures, you're going to get about 50 different answers.

Everyone is a little different, that's why there are so many right answers.

Avenger29
October 21, 2009, 09:26 PM
I'll give you what I consider to be the top choices

S&W M&P
Glock 17
Sig 226/229 (I think those are the model #s)
Beretta 92FS
Browning Hi Power
CZ-75B, CZ-75 Compact family
Several of the HK models are good, but I have little experience with them, plus parts availability and such turns me off from them. For the price of HK, I'd rather have other pistols.

Those are the ones I feel that are best out of the box. Sure, there are other serviceable 9mm pistols out there, those are just the ones I trust the most. I owned a Glock 17 and only sold it because it simply did not fit me no matter what I tried, but I think it is the king of 9mm reliability, with the M&P running very close behind.

The Beretta 92 is a great pistol, but you must do your maintence of replacing the locking block when the round count interval comes up.

The Sigs are self explanatory, Sig's pretty well known.

CZs are excellent values. I currently carry a -75 Compact. Lots of gun for the money, especially if you buy used.

The HP is my favorite 9mm, it's like the 1911 of 9mms, but I think it has some design improvements over the 1911s. Excellent fit to my hand, they shoot great, like nothing else. I will be obtaining another one in the future. One of the slimmest doublestack 9mms.

I consider the 9mm S&W M&P to be the best all round choice when considering weight, grip (my hands are on the smaller side), reliability, concealibility, and holster and accessory availability. Disregarding the grip, or if you like the Glock grip, then the 17 wins.

Bowdenknxvll
October 21, 2009, 09:28 PM
For me its my Cz 75 compact...followed closely by a BHP

oneounceload
October 21, 2009, 09:32 PM
no price limit? Korth - the craftsmanship is absolutely second to none

eldon519
October 21, 2009, 09:40 PM
You might want to mention what for? Concealed carry? Target? Speed shooting sports? Combat?

Avenger29
October 21, 2009, 09:42 PM
no price limit? Korth - the craftsmanship is absolutely second to none

Yes, but are they actually shot by anyone? A Glock 17 is what I and many others consider to be of ultimate reliability, and it's five bills (and sometimes less, if you can hunt down a bargain). If I had $5K to spend on handguns, I'd buy two Glock 17s or two S&W M&Ps, 20 mags, and ammo to fill the bill, and go take a couple of classes with a reputable instructor.

When we're talking guns, I'm considering working guns. That usually means under $1K for an everyday carry gun of modern design.

Above $1-3K? Semi-custom 1911. And for those with the cash for it, $4-5K for a top flight 1911.

benderx4
October 21, 2009, 09:45 PM
Beretta 92FS Steel I (Not really a gun, but a piece of art)

groundhog34
October 21, 2009, 09:46 PM
One word answer

GLOCK

A-FIXER
October 21, 2009, 09:47 PM
My choice XD-M very happy with it....and my g-19

SSN Vet
October 21, 2009, 09:48 PM
best for what?

InkEd
October 21, 2009, 09:49 PM
Standard production full size : XD/xdm
standard production compact:Kahr cw/pm
standard production pocket: lcp

f4t9r
October 21, 2009, 09:52 PM
HK is a very good choice in 9mm.
Gets my nod from the many different 9's I have shot.
Also like Sigs and XD

panoz77
October 21, 2009, 10:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf8CdjQMh6Q

greyeyezz
October 21, 2009, 10:59 PM
SAN Swiss Arms AG

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg63-e.htm

15guns
October 21, 2009, 11:03 PM
Stis are race guns. Great race guns though. I like the grandmasters.

15guns
October 21, 2009, 11:05 PM
I like Heckler and Koch USPS. They got a pretty high price tag now though. I haven't owned a XD to judge that one.

Confederate
October 21, 2009, 11:24 PM
Make mine a S&W 5906 or 659. A bit heavy, but it's built like a tank.

maskedman504
October 21, 2009, 11:44 PM
CZ P01 please.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_uE0wtsbZdVk/SNv1pG9T5XI/AAAAAAAABrw/cmzwJUy_QwA/s400/p01profile.JPG

Philo_Beddoe
October 21, 2009, 11:47 PM
The absolute best?

I vote Sphinx 3000 series.

Sphinx Systems Limited is a small Swiss based manufacturer of high quality pistols used mainly by special forces, elite police units and sports shooters. The company has been in business since 1876. Sphinx is best known for its ongoing development of the original Czech designed CZ 75 pistol, which has been evolved into the Sphinx 2000 and Sphinx 3000 designs.

Sphinx manufactures all pistols in Switzerland, slides are made from solid billet steel, frames from casts, forgings or also from billet, and fits each pistol with high quality barrels. Each pistol part is machined to very close tolerances and assembled by Sphinx master gunsmiths.

All Sphinx pistols except the AT380 are shipped with an actual test target, which confirms the accuracy of each pistol.

Sphinx pistols are not mass produced and are fitted to tight tolerances, so Sphinx pistols are more expensive than mass produced products.

Historically imported to the United States, by SILE corporation, SPHINX products are now imported by SABRE Defence Industries.

Sphinx 3000 Series
A full and medium sized defense and sports CNC machined pistol made out of various metals such as stainless steel, aluminium and titanium. The Sphinx 3000 quickly displaced the legendary SIG P210 as the best Swiss made pistol, as the Sphinx 3000 offers the same accuracy and reliability combined with better ergonomics and twice the capacity for ammunition. The Sphinx 3000 was designed as a modern combat pistol with features like a Picatinny accessory rail, a low bore line, extended magazine release, various safety system options, various finishes, sights, pistol sizes and materials to choose from.

http://www.sphinx-systems.ch/de/3000std_std.html

chris in va
October 22, 2009, 12:14 AM
Define 'best'.

15guns
October 22, 2009, 12:50 AM
Best as in accuracy, relablity, durability and capacity. There is no price range.

15guns
October 22, 2009, 12:51 AM
Don't all sig sauer p226 pistols rust?

15guns
October 22, 2009, 12:53 AM
See if sigs p226s didn't rust that would be the all time best pistol in 9mm. Even though they are expensive.

TXHORNS
October 22, 2009, 01:04 AM
My sig has no rust, but its a 45.

My favorite service size 9mm's are the H&K P30 and the CZ P-01, in that order.

I dont care for anything larger or smaller in 9mm.

Philo_Beddoe
October 22, 2009, 01:08 AM
The Sphinx 3000 beats the Sig 210.

The Sphinx 3000 pistols were introduced in 2003, and are available in various versions and calibers, for sport (IPSC and IDPA), self-defense and security / police services. Sphinx 3000 pistols offer extremely high workmanship and reliability, top class accuracy and reliability, almost indestructible all-steel design. These pistols are by no means cheap, but offer probably the best "out of the box" quality money can buy

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg125-e.htm

Isher
October 22, 2009, 01:19 AM
All -

I find this hilarious.

"The absolute best?

I vote Sphinx 3000 series.

Sphinx Systems Limited is a small Swiss based manufacturer of high quality pistols used mainly by special forces, elite police units and sports shooters. The company has been in business since 1876. Sphinx is best known for its ongoing development of the original Czech designed CZ 75 pistol, which has been evolved into the Sphinx 2000 and Sphinx 3000 designs.

Sphinx manufactures all pistols in Switzerland, slides are made from solid billet steel, frames from casts, forgings or also from billet, and fits each pistol with high quality barrels. Each pistol part is machined to very close tolerances and assembled by Sphinx master gunsmiths.

All Sphinx pistols except the AT380 are shipped with an actual test target, which confirms the accuracy of each pistol.

Sphinx pistols are not mass produced and are fitted to tight tolerances, so Sphinx pistols are more expensive than mass produced products.

Historically imported to the United States, by SILE corporation, SPHINX products are now imported by SABRE Defence Industries.

Sphinx 3000 Series
A full and medium sized defense and sports CNC machined pistol made out of various metals such as stainless steel, aluminium and titanium. The Sphinx 3000 quickly displaced the legendary SIG P210 as the best Swiss made pistol, as the Sphinx 3000 offers the same accuracy and reliability combined with better ergonomics and twice the capacity for ammunition. The Sphinx 3000 was designed as a modern combat pistol with features like a Picatinny accessory rail, a low bore line, extended magazine release, various safety system options, various finishes, sights, pistol sizes and materials to choose from.

http://www.sphinx-systems.ch/de/3000std_std.html"

Yet another CZ knockoff, this one made, apparently, out

Of Unobtanium by the Swiss -jump back! -

No less.

Me, I'll stick with the boys and girls from Brno.

And their product.

Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.

isher

Philo_Beddoe
October 22, 2009, 01:27 AM
Look I am a CZ fan, I own two CZ's but if you think a $500 CZ can compare to a Sphinx, you dont know what you are talking about.

The sphinx is a CZ clone, but it has been fined tuned to perfection.

They are as durable as it gets, as accurate as it gets, totally ergonomic, and will feed brass casings.

The quality of workmanship is unreal, no tool marks.

Here is another review for a Sphinx 3000 in 40 s&w if you dont believe me.

http://www.gunblast.com/Sphinx.htm

These arnt EEA tanfoglio like copies, these are in a whole different league.

Isher
October 22, 2009, 01:39 AM
What can I say?

I have a lot of places to spend my money.

And there is always too little of it.

So CZ's do fine for me, for the purpose.

Do you own a Sphinx?

isher

okespe04
October 22, 2009, 01:43 AM
I don't know. I have a Glock 19. I like it, its shoots straight, its never jammed, its easy to clean, I guess as far as I know the glock 19 is the best 9mm ever. I'm not a glock nut or anything I just don't know that I could ask much more from my 9mm.

I should also mention the 33 round mags. Now those are fun. One of the reasons I went with glock was the availability of totally reliable 33 round mags.

LancerMW
October 22, 2009, 01:52 AM
3 letters....BHP

Revolver Ocelot
October 22, 2009, 02:20 AM
I agree with okespe04, glock 19 in my opinion is the most well rounded. Its easy to operate easy to maintain its accurate it doesn't jam, its just all around great and affordable too

Uncle Mike
October 22, 2009, 02:33 AM
BHP or a 1911 Type...STI...?

faizi
October 22, 2009, 03:59 AM
Cz-75b

GojuBrian
October 22, 2009, 05:25 AM
For the money, CZ-75B :D

memphisjim
October 22, 2009, 05:35 AM
hard to beat the glock

m2steven
October 22, 2009, 08:21 AM
SIG X-5 or SIG Elite. They are the bees knees.

okierifleman
October 22, 2009, 09:21 AM
Sig P226 with SRT or the STI GP6

Friendly, Don't Fire!
October 22, 2009, 09:30 AM
It all depends on your definition of "BEST."

"Best" could mean many things, including:
largest
smallest
heaviest
lightest
number of cartridges in magazine
materials the gun is made of
quality of materials
quality of workmanship
whether the gun shoots all brands and weights of ammo
gun warranty
whether replacement parts for the gun are easily obtainable or not
how many shots can be fired before the gun starts to jam from needing cleaning
etc, etc, etc, etc

15guns
October 22, 2009, 10:29 AM
I've owned 2 p220 sigs and one p226. The p226 was the oldest one and it did rust.these were basic model ones. I think maybe the navy seal edition, the elites and the black water won't rust. But I'm not sure if every part including magazine parts is stainless steel or aluminum. If Sigs rust then H&K usps are the best. Maybe after that I would say a XD. Just from what I've heard about them.Then last place comes a glock.

Wilson2
October 22, 2009, 10:44 AM
My vote goes for the Sig 228. I believe Sig discontinued that model recently though.

I've heard of Sig's rust issues, so there must be something to it. But I've not experienced any rust with my multiple Sigs in over 15 years. I do keep them wiped down well with FP-10 or any other good CLP.

Marlin 45 carbine
October 22, 2009, 11:02 AM
I've shot CZ, Sig, BHP, Berreta, Taurus and S&W 5906. the CZ was the best shooter w/the 5906 close 2nd (that's what I own now).
I've read Sphinx and Steyr are fine, precision pistols.
I'll go with the 3rd Gen S&W because they shoot good and the mags fit my Marlin Camp Carbine sporting a Red Dot sight that produces 1" groups off a rest at 50 yds with my good handloads jhp 124grs Rem Golden Sabre slugs.

BHP FAN
October 22, 2009, 11:06 AM
I'm thinking the BHP is the best.

tercel89
October 22, 2009, 11:09 AM
I say CZ-75!!!!!!!!!!! The Sphinx is not good enough to justify the cost . The cost of the sphinx is just simply stupid to me .

Philo_Beddoe
October 22, 2009, 11:54 AM
What can I say?

I have a lot of places to spend my money.

And there is always too little of it.

So CZ's do fine for me, for the purpose.

Do you own a Sphinx?

isher

No I dont own a Sphinx because I dont think they are 4 times the gun of a CZ becuase they are 4 times the price.

For sure the CZ is a better value for the money, but if we are talking about the absolute best, then Sphinx wins, its more accurate, better built, better engineered, more reliable, but it comes with a HEFTY price tag.

Comparing a Sphinx to a CZ is like comparing a suped up NASCAR to its domestic parent car, one is a custom made well engineered product with a hefty price tag, the other is a mass produced product made for the everyday man.

Both serve their intended purpose quite well.

Water-Man
October 22, 2009, 12:14 PM
For overall dependability and ease of maintenence - GLOCK!

15guns
October 22, 2009, 01:05 PM
I got no beef with berreta. They make stainless steel 9mm pistols. So they won't rust. I had the chance to buy a used blued steel one in 9mm but I passed it up because I personally think they don't look good. This was a Model 92.

jocko
October 22, 2009, 01:16 PM
really a question that doesn't deserve an answer. You willget every opinion on the map, so why even ask it..

BushyGuy
October 22, 2009, 01:37 PM
Ruger SR9 is a durable gun under 500.00 after taxes .

IMHO its the best 9mm ever built. :cool:

SR9 vs the Glock - winner is SR9!

Avenger29
October 22, 2009, 02:04 PM
I've owned 2 p220 sigs and one p226. The p226 was the oldest one and it did rust.these were basic model ones. I think maybe the navy seal edition, the elites and the black water won't rust. But I'm not sure if every part including magazine parts is stainless steel or aluminum. If Sigs rust then H&K usps are the best. Maybe after that I would say a XD. Just from what I've heard about them.Then last place comes a glock.

I got no beef with berreta. They make stainless steel 9mm pistols. So they won't rust. I had the chance to buy a used blued steel one in 9mm but I passed it up because I personally think they don't look good. This was a Model 92.

What the hell?

You do realize that any steel will rust, even stainless steel, or melonited steel (Glock calls it tennifer)?

That's why firearms are finished/treated, including everything from using stainless steel for more corrosion protection (not rustproof) to parkarizing, bluing, nickle plating, or finishing with spray on finishes.

And once the firearm is finished, we oil it.

If you are letting your guns rust up (and I seriously doubt you've owned actual Sigs) then you are not taking care of your **** and are just asking for failures.

ckone
October 22, 2009, 03:10 PM
depends on what you're looking for...

IMO,
for all-around dependability/versatility/utility: Glock 17

but, if you're looking for something a little more "sophisticated"...

bang-for-buck: EAA/Tanfoglio Witness Elite Match

sky's-the-limit/money-is-no-object: STI Edge

Onward Allusion
October 22, 2009, 05:16 PM
S & w 5906tsw

Quack
October 22, 2009, 05:17 PM
how about a Hi-Pointe? :lol:

DRYHUMOR
October 22, 2009, 06:08 PM
Dan Wesson Pointman 9 is a very good weapon. Hard to say what the best is, too many variables.

RevDerb
October 22, 2009, 06:24 PM
I have owned:

SIG P-6 (3X)
Glock 17
Glock 19
Glock 26 (3X)
Taurus PT111
Kahr CW9
Kahr PM9
FN Herstal FNP-9M
FN Herstal FNP-9

I've tried a bunch. I now own an FNP-9 with a CW-9 on layaway. Those are in my opinion the best 9mm for my purposes.

Dr.Mall Ninja
October 22, 2009, 06:28 PM
A 1911 chamberd in 9mm

wild cat mccane
October 22, 2009, 06:30 PM
P99.

Tennessee Ned
October 22, 2009, 06:31 PM
Sig.

Autolycus
October 22, 2009, 06:45 PM
I would say that is too much of an opinion. I am a huge fan of Glock, Sig, and HK pistols in 9mm. Especially the Glock as of late. But it does not mean that Beretta or Walther or whomever makes an inferior product.

I would say that best is to subjective of a term and needs to be defined for us. Perhaps we could go buy other criteria?

zignal_zero
October 23, 2009, 12:43 AM
"who makes the best 9mm pistol?" - "who is the best fighter?" - "what is the best car?" - "who is the hottest actress?"

there isn't enough difference between the major firearm brands to notice. as long as you choose a reputable/quality brand, you will be in the same catagory as the guy who chose Brand B. just find the one that fits your hand, needs, and wallet the best. then you've found the "best 9mm"..... for you.

you need your own "elimination list" start like this: full size or compact. hammer or striker fired. plastic or metal.

keep doing that til your down to one gun. works for me WAY TOO often :-(

dave45cal7
October 23, 2009, 12:57 AM
Looking for a good 9mm?, you can't beat a CZ 75 or 85. The 85 has adjustable trigger travel and adj. rear sights. I was fortunate enough to get a 75 Poolice model since they don't import them anymore (360.00). My model 85 is a combat model. BOTH shoot GREAT. The mod 85 was only 370.00, but I get a discount. Fun Fact: CZ 75's are the best selling 9mm's in Europe, and they are finally catching on in U.S. I'd put them up against a Beretta (have one) or a Sig-Sauer (have three). Try one and I think you'll agree, Happy Shooting, dave

wrs840
October 23, 2009, 01:06 AM
The "best" 9mm is the one that you've owned long enough, and shot enough, to prove absolute reliability and get really good with.

Les

ijosef
October 23, 2009, 01:07 AM
Glock - there is none other.

sarduy
October 24, 2009, 12:06 PM
http://www.tacticaldefense.net/nfa_img/100_2614.jpg

Pilot
October 24, 2009, 01:18 PM
If you throw out the Sig P210 and the Sphinx due to cost, I believe the Browning Hi Power is still the "best" all around 9MM, followed closely by the CZ's and HK P7 series.

ScareyH22A
October 24, 2009, 02:21 PM
I vote HK or Glock. They just work. If a situation were to arise where you may shoot without a firm grip on the pistol or from your hip, HK>Glock.

HippieMagic
October 24, 2009, 02:52 PM
I have a Glock 19... it isn't pretty but that doesn't really matter much. You are the only one who is going to see it for the most part. Quite frankly the guy you pull it on isn't going to be like "LULZ! I AM NOT AFRAID OF AN UGLY GUN!"

Tamren
October 24, 2009, 03:16 PM
My vote goes to the CZ-75, mine shoots great despite the fact I bought it used after a rough life at the hands of the previous owner.

mec
October 24, 2009, 03:17 PM
A traditional answer is that the SIG 210 is the best pistol ever made in the whole wide world. Never shot one.
That STI edge is a lead dispensing machine. I shot one in 40 sw knocking down steel plates with great speed and ease. 9mm should be even more pleasant.
This particular SIG X5 Competition won't rust. It is really too heavy for a ccw gun except that I can carry it easily in a blade tech holster under a moderately long tailed shirt. It is hyped as being as accurate as the 210 and comes with a test target. It may very well be that accurate as it turns in a good many circa 1 inch 25 yard groups without the aid of a ransom rest. It should be a long lasting thing as it is quite solidly built and has an effective recoil buffer.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=107844&stc=1&d=1256411425

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=107845&stc=1&d=1256411579

After several hundred rounds, there have been no malfunctions or any other sundry bad things.
There used to be a general understanding that 9mm pistols were'nt particularly accurate but there are a lot of them out there that disprove that.

1SOW
October 24, 2009, 07:52 PM
BEST for WHAT USE???

Bear hunting?

CCW?

Nightstand HP?

Range Gun?

Competition? (Bullseye, USPSA, IDPA, most steel plates
in 8 seconds-AASA?).

inside 25 yds?

out to 75 yds?

No ONE gun does it all "the BEST". Many of the above do a number of these of these fairly well.

What's important to the shooter makes the "best" gun come to light.

goose2
October 24, 2009, 08:09 PM
I don't know the best but I love my XD SC 9mm. It shoots anything it is fed and is lights out on accuracy.

General Tso
October 25, 2009, 01:14 AM
Best bang for your buck = S&W 9SVE Sigma

sarduy
October 25, 2009, 12:07 PM
Best bang for your buck = S&W 9SVE Sigma

i agreed to that ^^^ Ohh and welcome to THR

http://inlinethumb40.webshots.com/44007/2743599940095461090S425x425Q85.jpg (http://sports.webshots.com/photo/2743599940095461090ohBLhE)

sarduy
October 25, 2009, 12:24 PM
BEST for WHAT USE???

Bear hunting? Glock-20

CCW? Glock-26/27/30/36/39

Nightstand HP? Glock-19/23/21/38

Range Gun? Glock-17C/19/26/17L

Competition? (Bullseye, USPSA, IDPA, most steel plates
in 8 seconds-AASA?). Glock-34/35

inside 25 yds? Glock-17/22/34/35

out to 75 yds? Glock-21/22/35

No ONE gun does it all "the BEST". Many of the above do a number of these of these fairly well.

What's important to the shooter makes the "best" gun come to light.

i fixed for you ;)
:neener:

wnewbury
October 25, 2009, 07:54 PM
I like my Ruger SR9 because it fires every time I pull the trigger, it was made in the USA and the price was reasonable. I am not able to compare it to any other 9mm but I think the made in USA is important.

Are Sigs made in the USA? Are there any "foreign" brands made in the USA?

Rodentman
October 25, 2009, 08:06 PM
I'm partial to this one, even though I can't say it's the best because I don't even know all of what is available.

*I* like this one, but just IMHO.........

http://fototime.com/04317FBCD6EA9D8/standard.jpg

searcher451
October 25, 2009, 08:16 PM
It's still tough to beat the Walther P5, IMO, for reliability, craftsmanship, and overall accuracy and dependability. It's true that fancier guns have come along, but the P5 is a proven, trustworthy performer that has been going strong for more than 25 years. It's grand-daddy, the P.38, wasn't a bad 9mm firearm either.

ScotZ
October 25, 2009, 09:06 PM
I love my SIG. BUTIf price is an issue you might look at a used Walther P-38. I have not bought one in awhile but they are very nice 9mm guns

dkk73
October 25, 2009, 09:54 PM
I vote HK or Glock. They just work. If a situation were to arise where you may shoot without a firm grip on the pistol or from your hip, HK>Glock.

Gotta second HK, if you can afford one or find a deal. Wish I'd checked out HK sooner in my travels...

P7 FTW. The older PSPs are a lot less expensive and probably better-made.

USP/USPc has advantage of a hammer, 2nd strike, etc., but probably not an issue if you are using good ammo. Plus you can choose the action you like and even swap. I use the good old fashioned DA/SA krunchenticker style, like the Beretta M9.

Glock is inexpensive and versatile as long as the "safety" design is adequate for your needs. This is a matter of religion. :rolleyes:

nitzer
October 26, 2009, 02:22 AM
I've fired a number of 9's, but my absolute favorite one I own/shoot is my CZ-75 SP-01. Soaks up recoil with all that heft...

WRGADog
October 26, 2009, 08:30 PM
Anything mfg by Beretta or Springfield. My favorites:

Beretta 92FS Inox--almost too pretty to shoot
Beretta PX4
Beretta PX4sc
Springfield XDm
Springfield XD9sc

Zerodefect
October 26, 2009, 09:13 PM
This is stupid. Best for what?

Some of the pistols mentioned are worthless for anything other than open carry or nightstand use. Too big.

Best 9mm's ( best in their size class IMO):

Big: H&K mp5:neener:
Full size: Glock 17
Compact: Glock 19
Subcompact: Walther PPS, Kahr PM9 (if u get a good one), Keltec PF9.

ttheel
October 26, 2009, 09:22 PM
Don't all sig sauer p226 pistols rust?

I have owned and used a P228 for over 10 years. Not one speck of rust. I consider it one of the best 9mm's ever made.

Mikefln
October 27, 2009, 12:39 PM
As others have said this question has too many varibles. So I will tell you the best 9mm for me. This is the 9mm that I shoot the best (bullseye or IDPA) , fits my hand the best, covers most of my defense needs, etc. That 9mm is a Beretta 92 Vertec followed by a Beretta 8000 Cougar. I have a sig 239, and I use to own a Glock 17. I have also shot CZ P01, S&W M&P's and the XD, all are nice weapons, but for me and my use give me either the 92 vertec or the cougar.

skeeter_08
October 28, 2009, 12:51 PM
"Best as in accuracy, reliablity, durability and capacity. There is no price range."

I have a Glock 17, a Springfield Loaded 9mm, a hard-chromed BHP Practical, and a Sig P225. The most accurate 9mm that I've ever shot is the Smith & Wesson Performance Center 952. The most accurate I own would be the BHP and the Springfield Loaded 9mm. However, if accurancy was the sole criteria, I probably wouldn't be shooting 9mm.

The one that gets the most rangetime is the Glock 17, decent accuracy, amazing reliability and durability, with 17 rd. capacity mags. I shoot the 9mm Blazer "beercan" ammo that I buy by the case. I traded a CZ-75B Compact for the Glock; I never had a gun that stovepiped as bad as that CZ did with Blazers, the G-17 shoots the stuff beautifully without a hiccup. I want to be able to shoot ammo that I have a ready supply of, since I am not convinced that the ammo shortage is over, and the 9mm Blazer at $10.00/box is the least-expensive ammo of decent quality that I can find right now.

joe_security
October 29, 2009, 11:05 AM
The best is what feels good in the hand, is 110% reliable and shoots straight. Good customer service helps too, if you are buying new and have a warranty. Now that i have answered that, the moderator may close the thread ! ( Just kidding.) Firearms are like any other consumer item. Everyone has a preference.

gtmtnbiker98
October 29, 2009, 12:01 PM
Best? Sig P210 or today's X-5 L1, Competition, All Around, or Tactical. Take you pick.

patsue
October 29, 2009, 01:17 PM
I have a police trade in 3rd Gen Glock 17, a recently purchased Glock 26, and a brand new Smith 6906 that I bought from CDNN when they had them.

All three are great pistols and I use them all at different times.

I would like to replace a Beretta 92FS that I recently sold to pay some bills.

I don't need it, would just like to have it.

Patrick

Guns and more
October 29, 2009, 07:44 PM
Best? Meaning what? Accurate, Dependable? Concealable? Good looking?

Of mine, for overall quality, I like the H&K P-30.
But CZ's are 100% reliable, and have great machining.
My Kahr PM-9 is a great carry gun.

So, there is no best.

CWL
October 29, 2009, 08:04 PM
P7 FTW. The older PSPs are a lot less expensive and probably better-made.

Better made? What are you talking about?

Do you even know the differences between the PSP, P7/PSP and P7M8?

winston smith
October 30, 2009, 01:54 PM
...HK.

Heraclid
November 1, 2009, 03:05 PM
Gotta go with the Beretta PX4 subcompact...

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z136/roadglider1/px42.jpg

dondavis3
November 1, 2009, 03:19 PM
I like Sig's / Kimbers/ Glocks / S&W's / Colts / Walthers all are good.

Best bang for the buck is the S&W Sigma SW9GVE 9mm $275 + a $50 rebate.

Here's what it looks like (40VE)

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx67/dondavis3/Guns/SWSigmaSM40VE2.jpg?t=1257106835

It has a Long hard trigger pull, but a very reliable gun.

Good luck in finding your 9mm gun.

Erik M
November 1, 2009, 09:08 PM
Personal favorites are a Taurus PT-99 and a Beretta 92 INOX.

AKElroy
November 1, 2009, 09:14 PM
For reliability & durability, I have to go with G 19. For pure shootability, CZ 75.

belus
November 1, 2009, 09:23 PM
In 9mm, I've owned:
FN Hi Power
CZ 75
HK P7

I've also remember shooting friend's:
XD
Glock 17
STI Eagle
SIG 228

I think still I need to shoot a Beretta 92 to round out the experience.

If I could only have one of these guns it would be the CZ 75, probably the Single Action only model.

miket
November 2, 2009, 08:56 AM
Kahr PM9 for pocket carry.

15guns
April 25, 2010, 06:22 PM
Hecler & Koch, SIG SAUER Classic, Berreta, Ruger

Doogy
April 26, 2010, 01:41 AM
I'm awfully partial to the wonderful Sig Sauer SP2022 (SigPro). A great 9mm!

15guns
April 26, 2010, 07:32 AM
Yeah I have seen those sigs. They look real good but I never owned one so I don't know if they are as good as the classic ones. It has allot for the price though. Those are like 549. Way cheaper than any new sig classic. Sure you get a polymer frame though. I had 3 sig classics before but I bought them all used for like 500 bucks. I can't see paying 700 plus for a new sig or for most handguns anyways. A Heckler and Koch USP in 9mm with 2 15 round mags is worth the hefty price.

MCgunner
April 26, 2010, 08:10 AM
Whenever you ask such a question, all you're going to get is 9,000 various none matching opinions. :scrutiny:

2ndAmFan
April 26, 2010, 08:21 AM
This is kind of like asking what's the best car.
The best 9mm is the one I have at the time I need it.

Oro
April 26, 2010, 11:44 AM
I've Owned:

Beretta
HK
Sig
Glock
Colt

No S&W 9mm's yet, but by far the best I've ever owned or shot so far is one of the older of the bunch: Colt Commander. Yep, been around since 1949. I prefer the steel frame version that came out in 1970. Great handling, reliable, easy to mod. Or just right as it came out of the box. The Beretta, Glock, and Sig all got sold off. The HK is still around, but languishing in a closet somewhere for the last few years, and will eventually be sold when I need another gun, air fare to Vegas, or even just lunch money. But this one is a keeper:

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd275/kamerer/1911s/Commander%20pre-80%209mm/9f3cfd37.jpg

15guns
April 26, 2010, 11:49 AM
Those only have 8 round magazines. I like ones with 15 round mags.

Newpster
April 26, 2010, 11:58 AM
Berreta used by Law Enforcment and Military.

Coltdude84
April 26, 2010, 01:07 PM
Several companies make nice 9mm's... My favorite though is the SIG 228, perfect balance and is extremly accurate, I would also advise looking at the Beretta 92FS series and HK's line they make the P30, USP, P2000 series.. the Colt Commander 9mm is also a classic and one of my favs though I have never been able to find one they are quite rare...

15guns
April 26, 2010, 03:01 PM
Best 9mm gun for over all reliabilty, feild stripping, durablity, accuracy and quality is the HK USP Type guns. Next in line would be the sig sauer classics. But they lack in durablity compared to HK.

Marshall
April 26, 2010, 03:06 PM
OK, I'll play.

Browning/Fabrique Nationale Hi Power.

bgm946
April 26, 2010, 03:46 PM
I would have to say M&P compact :what::neener:;)

http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af64/Barry946/DSCF0567.jpg

benderx4
April 26, 2010, 03:59 PM
Seriously?

If I had to say one, I'd give it to Beretta, followed closely by HK.

greatmoose
April 26, 2010, 04:14 PM
I'm awfully partial to this guy:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c97/greatmooze/2010-03-06_115512.jpg

Zastava EZ9, Looks like a Sig, built like a tank, internals like a Walther. Can use Beretta 92 mags with a slight mod to the mag (I've got some 18-rd MecGars that work perfectly).

15guns
April 26, 2010, 05:15 PM
How much did that sig clone cost? I've owned 3 sig classics, 2 glocks 1 Heckler and Koch and 1 walther besides one junk brand pistol I'd rather not name. I had the chance to buy a used berreta 92FS blued stell 9mm but passed it up. I just don't like the looks of them personally. Great guns otherwise. Just not my style.

Wags
April 26, 2010, 06:08 PM
Browning Hi-Power. 75yrs young and the professionals still carry them.

15guns
April 27, 2010, 12:16 AM
Hi powers aren't bad from what I heard

earlthegoat2
April 27, 2010, 01:04 AM
Im going to give it a go.

Beretta, Glock, S&W, CZ, Springfield, Colt, Kimber, Browning, Kahr, HK, Ruger, Taurus, Sig, Jericho, Steyr, and all the ones I forgot.

15guns
April 27, 2010, 01:18 AM
Steyr isn't bad

bg226
April 27, 2010, 01:22 AM
The best 9mm pistol? A genuine SIG P210. The superiority of anything else is a child talking in its sleep.

old fart
April 27, 2010, 10:20 AM
i like my ruger p95, its reliable so i need nothing else. i do own other handguns but the p95 is what i use most of the time, not exspensive just gave $348.00 otd but it has never let me down.

Dravur
April 27, 2010, 03:49 PM
9mm Howdah Pistol

JoeSlomo
April 27, 2010, 05:25 PM
I'd say the Glock is an excellent candidate for the "best all around" 9mm.

It is simple, which makes it a great choice for both defense and service use.

It is inexpensive, relatively speaking, of course.

It is relatively low maintenance, and holds up well under a variety of climates and conditions.

It is accurate enough.

It is a modern design, yet has been in use long enough to develop an excellent record of reliability.

Hard to top, really, and while many other brands may outshine the Glock in certain categories, there aren't too many that can match it in "all around" aspects.

Water-Man
April 27, 2010, 05:28 PM
Why does this question continue to be asked and why do people continue to respond? :rolleyes:

apollo18
April 27, 2010, 06:10 PM
Glock 19.

And Water-Man its the competitive part of human nature. We all want to be/have the best and this gives us the illision of doing so.

15guns
April 29, 2010, 05:11 AM
If I could take this thread down I would. How do you delete threads?

dondavis3
April 29, 2010, 02:24 PM
Old Fart
Does your Ruger p95 have a exposed hammer - safety and decocker?

I own a P85 Mark II and am just wondering what the P95 has on it.:cool:

speaksoftly
April 29, 2010, 04:04 PM
#1) Sig P226 SCT

#2) Smith and Wesson MP 9 Pro

#3) Beretta 90-Two

15guns
April 30, 2010, 12:46 AM
Yeah if sig used good powder coating like the HK usps then they would be just as good if not better than hk usps. They are more accurate than them I know because I had them both.

Oceans
April 30, 2010, 07:59 AM
I like the Beretta 92FS in a full sized 9mm, reliable, accurate, proven, spare parts and magazines abound, simple to operate. Good weapon for home defense: you have 15 in the magazine, and the piece is reliable with hollow points. I keep mine loaded with 124 grain Golden Sabres.

Bw2k2000
April 30, 2010, 08:46 AM
I would have to say the XDM is my favorite. I was hitting a coffee can at 87 yards yesterday.

jon_in_wv
April 30, 2010, 09:13 AM
That is a tough question.

The Sig P210 is highly regarded as one of the best and the most accurate.

The Browning HP is considered one of the best ever.

The CZ 75, especially the P-01 is a great 9mm.

The Sig P226 is a fantastic 9mm .

The Glock 9mm is widely regarded by some as the best defensive pistol ever made.

For me, the M&P 9C has all the best combination of all qualities that I think make it a great weapon. It is reliable, super accurate, great ergonomics, etc.....

I think as far as modern 9mms the Glock, P226, P-01, and the M&P (probably the XD 9mms too but my experience is very limited with them) are just too close to call and it will vary by shooter and by mission the pistol is intended for. The HP and the P210 are great 9mms but they are getting a little long in the tooth compared to more modern offerings. They may still out shoot the new ones though.

Biggums
April 30, 2010, 09:15 AM
Glock 17

Fastcast
April 30, 2010, 10:17 AM
There's many good 9mm but my favorites, not necessarily best, just best of the lot to me.....In no particular order:

CZ-75
Beretta 92FS
Browning Hi-Power

dondavis3
April 30, 2010, 10:28 AM
You might want to look at a Beretta PX4 -

Full size

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx67/dondavis3/Guns/BerettaPX49mm-1.jpg

or the sub compact PX4

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx67/dondavis3/Guns/BerettaPX4SubCompact3.jpg

This newly designed gun has so many new features it would be hard to list them all.

imho - this gun proves that modern plastic guns do not need to be ugly.

Beretta's are know for reliability

:cool:

Mayo
April 30, 2010, 11:04 AM
No doubt it's either a P226 or P7M8.

15guns
April 30, 2010, 08:42 PM
Nice looking Berretas.

Marshall
April 30, 2010, 10:53 PM
Agreed, the PX4 with Trijicons will probably be my next Polymer purchase.

Great gun and very nice looking!

I say "probably" because the FNP is calling my name too. Actually, the FNP was in first place before they dropped single action version. :(

My XD-40 service model is still close to my heart. I couldn't argue a thing against it in the polymer arena!

But nothing will ever take tops in 9mm over the FN/Browning Hi Power, to me.

hso
April 30, 2010, 11:00 PM
Nobody ;)

If it's good enough to be the "best" for function and accuracy and reliability it costs too much.

If its inexpensive enough to be the best "bang for the buck" there are usually too many compromises in function, accuracy and/or reliability.

jaysouth
April 30, 2010, 11:06 PM
I thought that my STI Trojan was the best 9mm made until I got a Les Baer Premier II in 9mm. Puts Sig 210 in the shade for 2/3s the cost. Another plus, you can buy mags for $15 from CDNN. How much is a 210 mag now?

The Smith 952 is also about as good as it gets. A little bit more than the STI but less than the Les Baer.

Wolvee
April 30, 2010, 11:15 PM
I'm going to irritate some people right now, lol. High value fire arm that I'm sure will be perfected over the years as it's popularity grows

Ruger SR9
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f33/wolvee123/My%20Guns/DSC02811.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f33/wolvee123/My%20Guns/DSC02813.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f33/wolvee123/My%20Guns/DSC02817.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f33/wolvee123/My%20Guns/DSC02823.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f33/wolvee123/My%20Guns/DSC02824.jpg

If it's not the Ruger then my vote has to go to the P226

15guns
May 1, 2010, 12:52 AM
This is not a voting contest. This is just to get peoples opinion. That ruger must be hot off the ruger assembly line cause I never seen one like that before. How much was that doggie in the window?

Wolvee
May 1, 2010, 01:01 AM
$450 :0) It's got a stiff trigger but other than that, 3000 rounds and no issues for me.

Doogy
May 1, 2010, 01:01 AM
my vote goes to the Sig Sauer (SigPro) Sp2022. A terrific all-around 9mm

gmh1013
May 1, 2010, 02:36 AM
Sigpro for 479.00 now

15guns
May 1, 2010, 01:41 PM
Wolvee get a trigger job.

15guns
May 1, 2010, 01:43 PM
Yeah I'm a big fan of sig pros in 9mm with 2 15 round mags. It's the right price plus good options the higher dollar classics have. Now if sig would coat their metal with the hk type power coating it would be so sweet. They need to make double action only sig pros to.

15guns
May 1, 2010, 01:44 PM
I bet budsunshop has them way cheaper wolvee.

DERGLOCKINMEISTER
May 1, 2010, 03:08 PM
Glock 26 , 19 , 17 , 17L take your pick !

leadcounsel
May 1, 2010, 04:29 PM
Glock 9mm dominate the USPC shooting competitions in the USA
CZ 75 P01 dominate similar shooting competitions outside the USA

Pretty big accolades if you ask me. You decide.

FM12
May 1, 2010, 06:05 PM
Browning Hi Power, Sig 226, S&W Gen 3 models

huduguru
May 1, 2010, 08:24 PM
http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq354/yerscattergun/Roof-8203.jpg

;)

mljdeckard
May 1, 2010, 08:27 PM
Honestly, if I were looking for a 9, I would probably dig around for a used G-17. I would like a Hi-Power, or a Sig, but if I was looking for one, it would be a general-use outdoor gun, I would be beating it up.

I have been issued and owned Berettas, they just don't agree with me much.

15guns
May 1, 2010, 10:30 PM
Why doesn't a berretta agree with you much? The best semi auto pistols I owned were sig sauer classics and the heckler and koch usp. The sigs were used because I don't like paying like 800 or more for a pistol. The HK was new. One sig I bought has a little rust on the slide. I scrapped it off and blued it but it just kept on coming back. This was a carbon steel slide used p226. Newer sig classics have stainless steel slides. The sig pros have stainless slides as well and are cheap. I just like hks coating the best out of the brands I owned. Glocks magazines are crappy compared to sigs or hks. The coating is ok on glocks but hks coating is the best. I have owned 2 glocks also. If I was gonna get a new gun I would go with a ruger p95 9mm in stainless steel with 15 round mag. Oterwise if I wanted to spen more I'd buy a sig pro 9mm with 9 high cap mags or if I wanted to spend allot I'm buy a new heckler and kock usp in 9mm with 2 15 round mags. Sig sauers shoot straighter than hks plus they aren't fat like hk usps. Both are easy to feild strip. Sig classic are a bit smoother than hk usps both have good qaulity mags to unlike glocks. They say the springfeild xds are better than glocks but I wonder in which ways. I know they have match grade barrels on them though.

Wolvee
May 1, 2010, 11:32 PM
15Gun_ Get a trigger jobI have the Ghost 3.5 waiting for an install. I'm still searching for a good smith in my area for a good buff.

mljdeckard
May 1, 2010, 11:46 PM
They don't. I hate them. I can shoot them just fine, but I hate the way they feel.

(You know, everyone is entitled to keep and shoot what they like best for no other reason than preference.)

15guns
May 2, 2010, 01:31 AM
Umm I like how they feel just don't like how the 92fs 9mm looks. I could of bought a used one before but I turned it down and bought a used sig sauer p220 45 acp.

15guns
May 2, 2010, 01:32 AM
Good Job Wolvee.

If you enjoyed reading about "Who makes the best 9mm pistol?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!