Concealed Carry at Dallas Convention Center?

PDA

Nathanael_Greene
October 22, 2009, 06:06 PM
Anyone know if it's okay to pack heat at the Dallas Convention Center?

(Not for a gun-related event, but a conference.)

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Concealed Carry at Dallas Convention Center?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MT GUNNY
October 22, 2009, 06:56 PM
If there is a DNC convention there I would say NO! LOL

TexasRifleman
October 22, 2009, 07:04 PM
The city owns the DCC so they cannot post against carry, at least that's how most people read the law.

DCC is not in the list of prohibited places, so according to state law you can carry.

Now, the Dallas DA has argued that the law saying government owned property can't have the 30.06 sign doesn't apply to the group RENTING the property, and that group can post if they want to.

The Tarrant County DA tried that with the Ft Worth Stock Show and finally gave up under pressure from several of us around town.

So, you may see the signs posted by whoever is renting out DCC. Whether or not those signs have any legal weight is up in the air, it hasn't been to court yet that I've seen. Personally I don't think his argument holds water, but who knows....

30.06 says, in part:

It is an exception to the application of this section that the property on which the license holder carries a handgun is owned or leased by a governmental entity and is not a premises or other place on which the license holder is prohibited from carrying the handgun under Section 46.03 or 46.035.

Nathanael_Greene
October 22, 2009, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the info.

I'm not worried about the conference there itself, but getting to and from.

I'll have a bit of a walk, and may be there late into the evenings for this event.

(And I dare say there's probably more concealed handguns at the Fort Worth Stock Show than anyplace in town, 30-06 signs or no. And sure enough, you don't hear much about crime there.)

If you enjoyed reading about "Concealed Carry at Dallas Convention Center?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!