NY Pistol Permit Application - How Long?

PDA

Lake Front
October 22, 2009, 09:57 PM
Hello to all. I'm a new user, but have lurked on the site for several years, and have found useful information when needed.

Anyway, I live in upstate NY and recently applied for my pistol permit (early September). Something I have put off for years. Many New Yorkers already know how difficult or time consuming it can be to complete the initial application and review process in NY, but I thought it might be interesting for other states to see how long it actually takes to go through this process via periodic updates to this thread.

I have been told by the local permit office that it could take 6-9 months! Which I feel is absurd for normal law abiding citizens. Luckly the County I live in is open to concelled carry permits, but nothing is guarenteed in NY.

One of the strangest items so far was that the office sent a questionaire to my four character references (BTW, they needed to live in the same County). Some of the questions my own parents could not answer, and on top of that, they wanted the questionaire notarized. I had no issue with notarizing the application, but a notary for the character reference questionaire, to me, is a little over board.

I will try to update the thread as I go through the process, and maybe by March or April of next year, I will have my permit. At least it will give me a few months to decide what I want to purchase.

If you enjoyed reading about "NY Pistol Permit Application - How Long?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rm23
October 22, 2009, 10:04 PM
Isn't that great? NYS law says that the county has 6 months to give you the permit, but the counties just ignore it. I'm from Renssalaer County and I'm going to hold off getting the permit. I'm hoping that the upcoming Supreme Court case does something to change the fact that we have to ask permission to exercise our Constitutional rights.

spartywrx
October 22, 2009, 10:20 PM
take 6-9 months

If Alan Gura wins his lawsuit and we get strict scrutiny, 6-9 months is most defniately an obvious infringement. I smell a lawsuit by NYSRPA if Gura wins.

mete
October 23, 2009, 06:49 AM
It all depends on the judge as the permits are county issued though they are state permits. BTW , the 6-9 months is not unusual as I understand but part of that delay may be the feds as they do a background check.My friend had his delayed ,9 mos IIRC because of backlogs with the feds.

wnycollector
October 23, 2009, 07:09 AM
In NY, your wait time all depends upon what county you reside in. I am VERY lucky to live in Niagara County where 2 month turnaround, full unrestricted carry permits are the norm. Right next door in Erie county jerks you around for 12+ months and then only issues a "target/hunting" permit. Good luck!

snowtigger
October 23, 2009, 07:27 AM
Alaska; No permit required!! You can get one but you only need it if you are going to carry in another state where it is required.

everallm
October 23, 2009, 09:06 AM
It all depends on the judge as the permits are county issued though they are state permits. BTW , the 6-9 months is not unusual as I understand but part of that delay may be the feds as they do a background check.My friend had his delayed ,9 mos IIRC because of backlogs with the feds.

That, I'm afraid is BS, the "background check" consists of basically the same info pull as in a NICS check, its not a TS/SCI with lifestyle.......

It's real simple, the longer and harder the police take to make it the more the chance folks will walk away.

Speedo66
October 23, 2009, 09:56 AM
NYS specifically passed a law to limit abusive permit issue time to 6 months.

The only reason for a longer period is some sort of delay out of the issuing counties' hands.

If they take longer than that, you should be questioning it. The fact that they're "busy" is not a legitimate reason.

A Westchester county shooters coalition established a liason with the chief judge of that county and regularly calls the person assigned to deal with it if there is a problem. They also give out that person's email for the individual to keep contact also.

This is a great idea and should be done in every one of the 57 counties outside of NYC if there are problems.

lobo9er
October 23, 2009, 03:23 PM
speedo66
NYS specifically passed a law to limit abusive permit issue time to 6 months.

true as it is they don't always abide by the rules they make.

tpaw
October 23, 2009, 09:02 PM
Here in Nassau County, NY it takes about 6 months sometimes less. Much depends on how fast turn around information is received by your investigator and how many applications he or she are investigating at the same time. Just comply with whatever is necessary and let the process takes it's course. It's not a long time to wait for something you'll probably have for the rest of your life.

Daveboone
October 23, 2009, 09:02 PM
Mine took about 3 months, most of my friends permits 3-4. They frequently sit on a judges desk until he decides to get to the, and where in the stack yours is can be a factor. For what it is worth, one acquaintance asked me to be a reference...she was as unstable as a 3 legged chair, and I "lost" her references. They apparently cant hold that against the applicant, and still gave it to her in a timely fashion.

Dominus
October 23, 2009, 10:00 PM
Theres a 4 - 6 months around here in Westchester.
At least thats what they told me for mine (5 months).

All you can do is summit the paper work and be patient, breaking balls won't help.

Good luck.

FLNT4EVR
October 23, 2009, 10:36 PM
Albany NY You will wait 11 to 12 months,You need...Application Forms made out in triplicate , 4 references , 3 pictures ,$75 for fingerprinting, $50 for the safety course , and $15 for your driveing records. All paperwork must be typed or in Black ink, if it's not it is thrown out without even being reviewed. Then if you are issued a permit , you must go before a judge for issuance , and all civilian permits are restricted to hunting and target use. In albany they will not issue carry permits 99% of the time. what fun.

renegade1alpha
October 24, 2009, 01:33 AM
Here in Idaho you just go to the local sheriffs office, show proof of firearms training (military, law enforcement, hunters safety or NRA certified course), fill out the application, get finger printed and wait for the background check. As long as you are "Joe/Jane Citizen" about 30 days later you get your CC license. Its good for four years from the date of issuance. The fee for the original permit is $20.00. The renewal fee is $15.00. The local sheriff may or may not charge extra fees, which sometimes they do but its rarely more than another $10 or $20 dollars. So you are looking at $30 to $40 in all for the first time.

Once again, I love Idaho!

Enginetech88
October 24, 2009, 02:20 AM
As stated above all depends on the county. Here in Niagara I have been waiting 3.5 months. Already been interviewed now just waiting on the letter. A good friend of mine just got his last month. Took just under 5 months. Josh

veggielasagna
October 24, 2009, 07:11 AM
Took 5 months in Warren County....I was expecting 6, so I was ok with it.

-veggielasagna

Speedo66
October 24, 2009, 09:36 AM
Theres a 4 - 6 months around here in Westchester.
At least thats what they told me for mine (5 months).

All you can do is summit the paper work and be patient, breaking balls won't help.

Good luck.

Until people started "breaking balls", it took a lot longer than that.

huntsman
October 24, 2009, 12:34 PM
I will try to update the thread as I go through the process

Please do.

My son lives in up state NY wants to get his for his .22 and .357 he left in Ohio but I believe he's waiting till he moves out of Schenectady into a friendlier county.

Lake Front
October 27, 2009, 09:09 PM
A lot of good info and advice.

With regards to the finger printing, the deputy that completed my prints commented that he will end up going home and telling his son what he did for the day, "took one set of finger prints from the bad guy, and four from the good guy".

junyo
October 27, 2009, 09:38 PM
This is why I commute to NY from PA.

Oro
October 27, 2009, 09:52 PM
Tips on speeding up the process:

(may not apply to you, but maybe others will benefit):

A while back I applied for a pistol permit in NYC. I expected it to take forever. I think it took about a week. The range/FFL who was awaiting my license to transfer my out-of-state guns to me said it was by far the fastest they had ever seen.

What I did was submit a ton of background and firearms history as well as past licenses - my Fla. CC license, copy of a course certificate I had to take to get that license, etc., etc. I can only guess that the added paperwork and documentation from other jurisdictions let them go ahead and approve it once the instant check was clean and let them skip the added wait time. I had no "connected" friends or anything helping me, so I have no other explanation.

Same thing happened when later getting a long gun license in NY. I did all of that and had the license back in four or five days, again shocking the dealer. He actually asked if I had some "special" friends with the city or police! (Nope.)

This same thing happened in WA when I moved here. I was told to expect 30 days minimum. I did the same thing, and had my cc license in three days.

When I applied for a C&R, I did the same thing and again got the license in about 1/2 what other people were reporting as the wait time prevailing.

So, clearly, in at least SOME jurisdictions, it can pay to just document every certification/license/etc. you've had with firearms. I can't say it will help you, but apparently with some authorities it helps them feel more comfortable about reducing the unofficial "hold" time and checks.

Good luck to you either way.

Eagle-101
October 27, 2009, 11:35 PM
In Genesee County, the judge rarely issues a "protection" permit but restricts it to hunting and target. Oh, by the way, you only get 5 pistols unless you genuflect in front of his bench, then you get an additional 5 as long as he doesn't deem you a nutcase.

By the way, I have since moved to Texas where i can breathe free...and own as many pistols as my free ass wants to.

God bless Texas!

toivo
October 28, 2009, 05:15 PM
Ulster County, NY: three months, almost to the day. They told me "three to six." I believe that they are not obligated to grant a permit in six months, but they are obligated to explain why if they can't or won't.

Speedo66
October 28, 2009, 11:32 PM
I'm a retired NYS peace officer, had 40 years on the job.

I applied for my Westchester County civilian permit shortly after retirement, filed a flawless application including the 4 notarized references, and it still took 4 months to get my full carry permit.

A few days after receiving it I filled out all the papers for a NYC permit, went down there and handed it in in person, and they issued me a NYC unrestricted concealed carry permit on the spot.

Go figure.

eeresident
October 30, 2009, 08:25 PM
I feel bad for the folks in NY; here in NH your local police department MUST either approve or deny your application (1 page worksheet) within 14 days. You can only be denied for the same reasons that would prevent you from buying a firearm in the first place. Should a department, legally referred to as the issuing authority, take longer and/or deny your application for some other reason, state law actually holds the authority liable for attorney fees should you need to go to court to get your permit.

kev74
October 30, 2009, 08:38 PM
Here in Orange County, NY it took 3 months almost to the day last year.

toivo
October 30, 2009, 08:46 PM
I feel bad for the folks in NY; here in NH your local police department MUST either approve or deny your application (1 page worksheet) within 14 days.

That's why your license plates say "Live Free or Die," and ours say "The Empire State." :(

bbc557ci
October 31, 2009, 01:24 AM
Hello Gents. I'm new here and this is my 1st post.

At this time I live in Onondaga County (NY State). I applied for and got my pistol permit about 7 years ago. It's not a CC. Had to get the 4 references, finger printing, FBI check, yada yada. Think I ended up waiting about 4 months before the permit finally came through. Now, I don't really mind the FBI check because I do believe there are people out there who simply shouldn't have a hand gun, or ANY gun for that matter. However, there's no good reason at all for having to wait 4 months for the permit, after the finger printing is done.

As far as a CC permit, it's extremely difficult to get that in Onondaga County. I don't know why, but I'm sure it's due to some politically motivated horse poop. I have two friends who live in neighboring counties, and they both have their CC permits.

As it happens, I recently put in a purchase offer that was accepted, on a piece of water front property on the Oneida River, which is in Oswego County. Closing is supposed to take place in mid December. So, soon I'll get in touch with the Oswego County authorities and find out what I'll need to do about a pistol permit in that county. And I plan to find out if a law abiding citizen is able to obtain a CC permit in that county. Now, if I had the CC, I probably wouldn't even carry. However, I do believe it is my right to carry if I choose to do so. Some, or allot of this boils down to my/our rights as law abiding citizens.

WS58
November 14, 2009, 03:30 PM
I'm a new poster here. I have be in the process of getting my pistol permit in Orange Co. NY I was fingerprinted in June and was given a August 5 appiontment with the sheriffs dept. They said about three months for processing. So, I made a call last week to inquire what was going on with my application. I was told that it was sent to a judge on Oct 27! Never been arrested. I'm waiting for an interview with the judge, When? I don't know.
If they want people to get frustrated and bail on the process,why make buying a hand gun mandatory before they will except your appication.

toivo
November 14, 2009, 03:54 PM
If they want people to get frustrated and bail on the process,why make buying a hand gun mandatory before they will except your appication.

AFAIK, they don't do that--at least not in Ulster County, anyway. As long as you have all your paperwork filled out, they will take your application. However, the actual permit isn't active until it has at least one gun listed on it. When your permit is finally approved--however long that takes--that's when the purchase requirement kicks in.

Your permit might be approved and all ready to go, but they won't hand it over to you until you have a gun ready to go on it. In Ulster County, you get a letter saying your permit is ready. You bring your purchase receipt in to the Sheriff's office, they enter the gun info on your new permit, and they give it to you along with a "take possession" receipt. Then you go back to the gunshop and get your gun.

WS58
November 16, 2009, 07:20 PM
Thats a better idea. I had to give a copy of the receipt for a pistol before they would process the permit. Its really stupid. Not being able to find out any info on whats going on is frustating. But I will just wait and see.:)
KEV, Was it 3 months from the dat=y you had the interview?

toivo
November 17, 2009, 12:02 AM
Thats a better idea. I had to give a copy of the receipt for a pistol before they would process the permit.

That's pretty strange. What if the permit gets denied?

WS58
November 17, 2009, 01:10 PM
I was told by the Sheriffs Dept that they haven't had to many problems with getting your money back. What that means,I dont know. Until you present your lic. to the seller of the gun, They still own it.

WS58
December 19, 2009, 01:47 PM
Finally, after 6+ months I got to see the judge about my pistol permit. It took all of 3 minutes in the courtroom to have her approve it. Now I waiting (again) for a letter from the court clerk to take to the sheriffs office.

toivo
December 19, 2009, 01:55 PM
Congratulations! Restricted or unrestricted?

Zumet
December 19, 2009, 08:08 PM
http://www.nysrpa.org/

under "other items of interest" theres state laws.

WS58
December 20, 2009, 11:14 AM
there are no restrictions added to the permit. except NYC. since I own business and was in the military. Now I wait til I can pick up the permit and then the guns. I will not carry all the time until I feel my marksmanship and training are up to snuff.
Thanks!

tju1973
December 20, 2009, 11:18 AM
I never talk bad about the people who chose to live in anti- states-- I do feel bad for you, and respect your right to stay the good fight...Texas is pretty good. My CCL took 6 weeks to get back a couple of years ago, but I think now they run about 90 days. My only real gripe is no open carry provision here.

Its too hot to wear enough to conceal my XD45 from April-October..

:rolleyes:

steveracer
December 20, 2009, 05:50 PM
I miss NYS, a lot. I have lived in VA and now WA for the last twelve years, and NY is still home. my permit in NY took six months, and I was not allowed unrestricted carry. I did, however, belong to a 24-hour private shooting range, and was ALWAYS going to/coming from the range, and therefore legal to carry all the time. There are several such ranges in NY, and their sole purpose is to provide people with a reason to be carrying their guns if asked.

RL77
January 5, 2010, 12:04 AM
I'm new here and i,m kind of in the same boat member WS58 is in. I started my process in June 2009....had an interview with the oc sheriffs on Aug 5.....had a employment verification on Oct 20..called on Nov 20...was told it would take a few weeks..as of today..nothing..my friend and i were doing this together and they told him they cant find his paper work. We handed them in with in a week of each other and they lost it. He has to start over. I had spoken to another person i know who I just found out that he is getting his permit too and he too was mailed a letter saying his paper work was lost and to start over. I'm petrified to call to see where the status of mine is. I was told i wasn't going to see the judge because he was too busy with permits and i should just expect a letter from him saying to go and pick up my permit. I have a deposit on a Springfield xd40 and showed the sheriff that paper work and even wrote the SN and model down on the application! What should i do? Who should I call? Its been forever and seeing that member WS58 was given an august 5 appointment and he has seen the judge already, i had an august 5 appointment too and i haven't heard anything....I just hope it isnt lost..i can wait, just dont be lost.

LemmyCaution
January 5, 2010, 07:07 AM
Good lord!

I had no idea how restrictive other states were. Here's the process to get concealed carry, here in liberal Vermont:

1: Go to gun store.
2: Fill out 4473
3: Wait 5 minutes for NICS
4: Pay for handgun
5: Go home. Done.

Fingerprints? You must be joking.

gym
January 5, 2010, 12:23 PM
I'm not saying i'm right here because I don't know what current NY laws are, having moved in 94. But having had a New York City, carry permit, "i still have an old expired one", are you talking about a New York City, or a New York State. The way a Target permit used to work, was unloaded, in a locked box, to and from the range. My uncles had target permits and hunting licenses, and one was a treasurer of the Glen Cove Pistol and Rifle Club, and I shot there several times, the reason I mention this is a few members had been held up by waiting gang members, who knew they couldn't carry loaded guns when leaving. He had asked me to be watchful upon locking up and heading out, since I had a carry permit. All this was over 20 years ago, so I don't know if the legalities are the same or have changed as far as target licenses go. But knowing NY, I would triple check before carrying with a target permit.
If you get stopped carrying a loaded weapon, with a target permit, you may end up in a bad place. I bring this up only to clarify what confused me upon reading the part about always being on the way to or from the range. If that is the defense for illegally carrying, then it won't fly, and has been tried unsuccessfully before. If not then sorry I misunderstood. The same goes for a premises permit, "if they still have those", it would only good for the place where it was issued. New York takes this stuff very seriously.

ammoeater
January 5, 2010, 03:48 PM
Anyone have any experience getting a CCW in Oneida County?

EddieNFL
January 5, 2010, 03:56 PM
I feel bad for the folks in NY

A member of our club is retired NY cop. He once told me cops used to roam around gunshows in plain clothes and watch for guys buying holsters. They would follow them and find an excuse to pull them over and search their vehicle.

He recently asked another club member why I wouldn't talk to him.

chevyforlife21
January 5, 2010, 04:06 PM
still didnt get the permit yet?

Dr.Mall Ninja
January 5, 2010, 04:33 PM
wow this is all disgusting my ex wanted to move to new york. Stuff like this makes me glad we broke up :D

JoeShmoe
January 5, 2010, 06:49 PM
RL77 I'm in OC and went through the process a few years ago. I would call the pistol permit office in Goshen, and ask if they can tell you what's happening with your permit. The lady who works there is very nice, and should be able to help you. You probably won't have to see the judge, but you probably will have target and hunting restrictions.

For what its worth, I initially had target and hunting restrictions, which I was able to have removed after I had my permit for a year. It depends on your judge.

mbopp
January 5, 2010, 08:03 PM
How long it took me to get a CC permit in Monroe county is a moot point - I got mine in '75.

My niece in Erie county is starting the process. I offered to let her put one of my .22's S/N's on her application so she didn't have to buy a gun. She said she couldn't do that - it had to be an Erie county resident to do it that way.

Now in Livingston county you can get your permit w/o having to buy a gun - it's basically a blank permit.

gglass
January 5, 2010, 09:30 PM
Man, I love living in the 2A loving state of Indiana with our Lifetime License To Carry Handgun. My wife is a former subject of the People's Republic of New York... She now understands the meaning of Liberty and carries a her handgun every day. Her poor relatives back in New York won't even try to get a permit because the process is just too Draconian.

Indiana LTCH Process:

Fill out the local and state applications at your nearest Police Dept.
Present your $50 local and $75 state fees
Wait 30 to 90 days
Pick up your mail and open your pink Lifetime LTCH

There is no such thing as gun registration in Indiana, so there is no need to list any firearms on a LTCH.

Did I mention that you don't have to give a reason for wanting or needing a LTCH in Indiana. You only need to choose which type of license you desire.

Types of Handgun License:

4 Yr Hunt/Target $5 State Fee/$10 Local Agency Fee
4 Yr Pers Protect $30 State Fee/$10 Local Agency Fee
Dealer's Personal Protection Permit - Fee Exempt
Life Hunt/Target no Current Lic $25 State/$50 Local Fee
Life Hunt/Target w/ Current Lic $20 State/$40 Local Fee
Life Pers Protect no Current License $75 State/$50 Local
Life Pers Protect w/ Current License $60 State/$40 Local
Retired Corrections Officer - Fee Exempt
Retired Police Officer - Fee Exempt

Kangspec
January 5, 2010, 09:45 PM
wow that long? in WA i waited full 30days. :)

waiting game suck!! hope you get yours!!

Pate
January 5, 2010, 10:13 PM
It took me 10 months to get mine in NY.

toivo
January 5, 2010, 10:36 PM
Man, I love living in the 2A loving state of Indiana with our Lifetime License To Carry Handgun.

New York permits are tough to get, but once you have it, it's good for life.

melbourne
January 5, 2010, 11:27 PM
Well some New York counties expire the pistol permits after a period of time. I know where I have my permit you have to renew it every 5 years or it expires. If your pistol permit expires before you renew it - you have to surrender your pistols or get an FFL to hold them until you reapply again. Took me 5 months to receive my permit.

gglass
January 5, 2010, 11:44 PM
Surrender your pistols!!! Hmmm... What would be worse than Draconian?

JoeShmoe
January 5, 2010, 11:58 PM
The other thing that's good about New York is that you can carry almost everywhere. Very few places post, as it's just not on their radar. I've only seen it once, at a minor league baseball stadium.

RL77
January 6, 2010, 12:13 AM
Thanks joeshmoe... I'll give the pistol permit office a call. I did the letter to the judge
and it was for a cc cause i own a business and make deposits. I'm also at the job late nights too so that was my reason for cc. I hope they can help me. Would they have my paperwork or are they gonna tell me to call the sheriffs office?

Aran
January 6, 2010, 01:43 AM
Just jump your southern border to PA. It's nice down here.

toivo
January 6, 2010, 02:13 AM
Well some New York counties expire the pistol permits after a period of time. I know where I have my permit you have to renew it every 5 years or it expires.

Long Island or Westchester County? I forgot, they're a bit tougher. Are they issuing unrestricted these days?

Speedo66
January 6, 2010, 02:15 AM
The original poster is trying to get local information about his permit application.

Are the people who mention how simple their state application process is

actually trying to be helpful, or just gloating?

More NY bashing?

NYS has pistol permits, why not save your wrath for states that don't.

Aran
January 6, 2010, 05:48 AM
I grew up in New York. I will gladly take any opportunity to insult the state I can.

As for "having pistol permits" please see the US Constitution, Amendment 2.

gglass
January 6, 2010, 11:09 AM
My ties to the state of NY are through my wife and her family (When my wife moved to Indiana, she was shocked that it was so easy to purchase and carry a handgun). I would only describe my posts as constructive gloating. The people of NY, as with any other state that imposes Draconian laws on their subjects, are getting the government they deserve. We the people are voting for these politicians who bring us these restrictive laws.

I have had a few debates with my brother-in-law who lives in NY about firearms and politics, and he never quite gets the connection. He wants to own a handgun and complains about the restrictive process, yet he will NEVER vote for someone who isn't a Democrat... Why Democrat? Because his family has always voted that way.I see it as he is getting what he deserves.

I know that most people on these forums are voting in their local, state and federal elections in ways that reflect their pro 2a beliefs. But, to change the system we have to start influencing our neighbors vote and educating our friends.

Is my post constructive to the OP's question? Not really, but it may help down the road if more people will start voting with the 2A issues at the top of their requirements for a candidate.

Aran
January 6, 2010, 02:06 PM
Yeah, my grandmother (who lived in NY at the time, but just moved down here to Pittsburgh a few months ago) was talking about how horrible the things she'd heard about Obama were before the election, as far as his policies go, and how she actually liked what McCain and his campaign had been saying. She had always voted Democrat because her family always had, etc.

I encouraged her to vote how she actually believed, not just how the family voted.

A few months after the election we're talking politics... and she admits that when she got into the voting booth, she just couldn't pull the lever for anyone with an R after their name because of how she was raised.

gym
January 6, 2010, 05:11 PM
Here's another thing about New York City Carry permits, they are issued for a specific purpose, like a cash business, where you must prove that you carry a certain amount of cash and make deposits, etc. When I got mine in the early 70's it was $5000.00 in cash at any one time. You then had to get letters from the bank, accountant, tax forms, and on and on. The idea is to make it so hard that you either cannot fulfill cannot prove or just get tired and say screw it.
I had mine over 20 years, now here is the best part. When you sell the business, "or retire, or whatever", you have to turn in your carry permit, since the only reason they gave it to you was to protect yourself when carrying all the cash, which by now is more like 50 grand at a time, not 5 like it was, "which with credit cards and checks" is almost impossible to do. So even after you get it, you have to give it back, the gun gets stamped on the license with the serial number caliber etc. So unless you are a retired cop, or Agent, you don't get to keep your carry forever. It's a privilege in NYC, not a right.
This was as of 1994 when I turned in my guns to the 112 PCT, and had them sent down to a Captain friend of mine in Jupiter, Then I just drove from Ft Lauderdale and picked them up, no problem. You better know all of the laws that apply in the City of NY, if you carry there with a permit other than a NYC carry permit, you are in trouble if caught, this is confusing to newbies so I made it as clear as I can, also there may have been changes made since I moved, I was allowed 2 guns after a few years instead of 1. But the purchase order was how it was done then, you had to first get a purchase order take that to the gun store, buy the pistol and bring everything back ti 1PP, then you were good to go.

Speedo66
January 6, 2010, 06:40 PM
Aran says "I grew up in NY. I will gladly take any opportunity to insult the state I can".

gglass says "I would only describe my post as constructive gloating".

Please explain how these comments are in any way helpful to the poster. Do you think he doesn't know where he lives and what the situation is?

I don't see these comments as being in any way High Road.

THE DARK KNIGHT
January 6, 2010, 06:44 PM
Are the people who mention how simple their state application process is actually trying to be helpful, or just gloating?

I stopped asking a good number of questions here because all you get is "YEAH WELL NJ SUCKS!!! FORGET YOUR FAMILY JOB LIFE AND MEMORIES!!! PACK UP YOUR WHOLE LIFE AND MOVE TO NEVADA CAUSE THE SHOOTING RANGE IS NICER!!!"

RL77
January 6, 2010, 06:46 PM
Ok. I had called the OC Pistol Permit Division and asked if they could check up on the status of my permit..they didn't have it, and transferred me to the OC Sheriffs Dept, where i found out its been on a desk in the wrong pile. It was in the delinquent pile or whatever he said because of my suspended license, that i had ( that's another story). The license was fixed in august and since Oct 26 till today, it was in that pile not moving at all, cause they thought my license was still suspended and that i never fixed it. Luckily, he moved it up to the attention of the under sheriff and since i have no arrests or anything, its finally moving along. He said it should be a few weeks, but to call back and check. Ill give it a month and then call to see whats up if i don't get it by then. At least it isn't lost...

YANKEE2500
January 6, 2010, 07:04 PM
I had my CC permit in NY for 25yrs, got it in 1980, and it was tough to get back then. Took me about 5 months to get it, I lived in Erie County and they liked to put there own restrictions on the permit , to make them for hunting and target shooting only. Mine was like that for a year and when there was change in the Admin. and I got my permit changed to full CC.
I moved to NC about 6yrs ago differant world down here for CC, more gun friendly.

John

gym
January 6, 2010, 07:29 PM
Guys I posted that for a reason, I love NY for many things, guns aren't one, but that's not the reason. Even permit holders in other Counties and Boroughs surrounding NYC are sometimes confused about the law in the city itself. That's the reason, I wouldn't want anyone to think they could carry someware they arent allowed to. But Nj is ok although where they put the airport sucks,lol

JoeShmoe
January 8, 2010, 01:28 PM
That's good news RL77. It would certainly be a pain to start over.

As far as I know, most judges routinely issue a restricted permit. If you have clearly stated your need for an unrestricted permit, he will probably want to see you. If that is the case, I recommend that you anticipate his questions, and be ready to give well thought out but succinct answers. If you walk in unprepared, you are going to get rattled. Don't get rattled by the judges questions, or demeanor. They don't want to issue a carry permit to someone who is easily upset. Some questions to anticipate would be: Why do you want to carry? Where do you plan to carry? How often do you plan to carry? Don't try to B.S. the judge. They know a thing or two about B.S.

If you are issued a restricted permit, I would suggest that you wait a year, and then write a letter to the judge requesting that he remove your restrictions. Hope this helps.

Lake Front
January 12, 2010, 02:10 PM
I've been busy with the holidays and the birth of a new child and have not had time to post an update. But I received my permit (unrestricted) at the end of December (finalized the paper work last week). All in all, a little over 4 months for Madison County, NY. No interview either (not sure if that is normal or not?).

Now I just need to decided on the pistol, but I will do some searching on this site (currently leaning towards the HK45 Compact).

Thanks to all who posted (whether you were gloating or not :)).

Rich219
January 12, 2010, 02:37 PM
I live in Ontario county and was told less than 6 months is the current wait period.

LemmyCaution
January 12, 2010, 04:28 PM
I'm not gloating. I'm trying to remind everyone of what the end state of our RKBA efforts should look like.

Speedo66
January 12, 2010, 08:19 PM
I live in Ontario county and was told less than 6 months is the current wait period.

That's nice of them, 6 months max is the law in NY. Extension for extenuating circumstances, but max 6 months otherwise.

Sig 226 .40
January 13, 2010, 12:37 AM
Absolutely correct Speedo66. I am also an officer in upstate NY. Broome county has recently resumed letting citizens carry again. Thanks to Judge Joseph Cawley. He does require any applicant for full carry to take one of the several weekend carry classes offered and present the certificate upon completion. He simply wants applicants to understand what they are responsible for as a ccw permit holder. He does issue(without the certificate) full carry to any officer, active and retired(as long as they retired honorably), and to local national guard troops. He understands that most of us have already served overseas and have extensive firearms training. The part that surprised him is that we Guardsman also receive Use of Force and Article 35 training every year. Sometimes several times a year. My particular unit happens to contain many competitive shooters and several double distinguished shooters in it. Just because we are not on duty 24/7 as soldiers doesn't mean that my OATH is part-time as well.
As for the Pennsylvania permit..if you have a concealed carry permit in NY..you can get the same in a fraction of the time down there.

mike4guns
January 13, 2010, 01:32 PM
Florida...the gunshine state. A "must issue" state. took me 33 days. "stand your ground" "the castle doctrine" "the glove box policy"... our politicians are clearly thinking clearly.
Once in a while it's too bad that a sicko falls through the cracks and gets a ccw when they should not have but a couple of well publicized cases of error has made tallahasse much more aware and therefore much more critical in scrutinizing applicants.

paradox998
January 14, 2010, 12:32 AM
I have had a NY pistol permit for a long time (for 30 years). I am disgusted by the hoops they put people through and can't wait to leave the state. NY is driving working people out of the state in groves. My tax money will go to a state that supports the 2nd amendment.

RL77
January 18, 2010, 01:04 AM
That's good news RL77. It would certainly be a pain to start over.

As far as I know, most judges routinely issue a restricted permit. If you have clearly stated your need for an unrestricted permit, he will probably want to see you. If that is the case, I recommend that you anticipate his questions, and be ready to give well thought out but succinct answers. If you walk in unprepared, you are going to get rattled. Don't get rattled by the judges questions, or demeanor. They don't want to issue a carry permit to someone who is easily upset. Some questions to anticipate would be: Why do you want to carry? Where do you plan to carry? How often do you plan to carry? Don't try to B.S. the judge. They know a thing or two about B.S.

If you are issued a restricted permit, I would suggest that you wait a year, and then write a letter to the judge requesting that he remove your restrictions. Hope this helps.
Hey, thanks for the info... I did anticipate those questions. I did put on the app that i request a cc, because of the nature of my job. A firearm isn't required but I do report to the job at all hours of the day and night. Well see what happens in a few weeks.

RL77
January 28, 2010, 11:55 PM
Well I got the good news today. Have to go to the govt center to pick up my permit. I didnt see the judge..i just got a letter in the mail saying congrats!!! Total time 8.5 months!

RL77
January 29, 2010, 11:27 AM
Just picked my Permit up this morning...Unrestricted! Ask and you shall receive!

JoeShmoe
January 29, 2010, 11:46 AM
Just picked my Permit up this morning...Unrestricted! Ask and you shall receive!
Congrats. We are probably the closest county to NYC that is still fairly gun friendly.

FTWNY
December 24, 2010, 07:38 PM
Here in Erie county we are at about 6 to 11 months depending on what police agency is investigating and how cooperative your witnesses are with them (returning calls fore interviews)

Erie County, Utah CFP, Florida CCW Pistol Permit Classes
覧覧覧覧覧-
NRA Basic Pistol Course (Erie County Pistol Permit Class)
覧覧覧覧覧-
Utah CFP/CCW Pistol Permit Course
覧覧覧覧覧-
Florida CCW Pistol Permit Course

Immediately following completion of Utah /CFP Class (required for Florida CCW) Approximately one half-hour long.

Please see the site for more details!

DavePuzz
December 24, 2010, 08:40 PM
Guys, i know a lot of nice people that live in NY. state.. but i am so glad i live in Kentucky where we the people still have some sayso over our gun permit laws. i wish you a fast and speedy approval ...

timney t
December 25, 2010, 03:13 AM
i moved out of NYS just because of bull sh*t like this.
i live in Washington now and love it. best oaf luck to all you NY trying to get your permits. hope you all have a safe and happy holidays too.

If you enjoyed reading about "NY Pistol Permit Application - How Long?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!