Shooting to the right

PDA

funbob
January 19, 2003, 10:19 PM
Here is a 10 shot group I fired at the range today. All of my shots landed to the right of my point of aim. I'm wondering if there is a problem with my shooting technique or if perhaps my sights need a bit of adjusting. I can repeat this consistently. This group was fired at 10yds using an XD40 with Winchester 165gr USA ammo.

What am I doing wrong and how do I correct it?

Image attatched...

If you enjoyed reading about "Shooting to the right" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Blackhawk
January 19, 2003, 11:30 PM
Trigger control could stand some improving usually when your type of pattern emerges.

Got a laser sight? Dry firing while holding the sight on a 10 yard dot on the wall will reveal some bad habits usually. A dime balanced near the front sight will also tell on you during dry firing.

The exercise will also train you not to anticipate the bang and tense up your hand as you pull the trigger. Your trigger finger is the only one that will work independently of the rest of your hand, but if you study it, you'll see that your middle finger will move a bit as you apply increasing pressure with your trigger finger. Train to hold a tall, skinny, glass of water perfectly still as you flex your trigger finger over the top of it. Then train to put pressure on the side of the glass with your trigger finger without disturbing the glass at all.

The most effective and relevant is using the laser sight, and you can fake that pretty well by attaching a cheapo laser point to the gun and adjusting it to the POA on that distant wall.

There are many ways you can rig up something to teach your hand to hold still while you're pulling the trigger. Improvise! :D

larryw
January 20, 2003, 12:59 AM
Take a look at the Correction Chart, as well as many of the other resources for improving your shooting here (http://www.sportshooter.com/improving/).

If you enjoyed reading about "Shooting to the right" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!