SBR'ing semi-auto rifles....

PDA

natedog
November 5, 2003, 12:12 AM
Is their any restrictions on SBRing (besides the tax and paperwork) a semi-auto rifle with a detachable mag and one assault weapon feature? Like, is the SB an evil feature?

If you enjoyed reading about "SBR'ing semi-auto rifles...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hkmp5sd
November 5, 2003, 07:22 AM
It is perfectly legal to make a post-ban semi-automatic rifle into a SBR. It will still be covered under the AW ban, so it can only have it's one evil feature.

Jack19
November 5, 2003, 09:09 AM
Here's a link to the forms you'll need.

Danbrew's ATF Forms (http://www.titleii.com/)

Chipperman
November 5, 2003, 05:33 PM
Remember also that you cannot attach a pre-ban style flash suppressor to it after SBR'ing it. You can permanently attach an ATF approved muzzle brake

Badger Arms
November 5, 2003, 11:46 PM
Chip,

You know, I've heard that but do you have a reference that says that. I thought that once you made it an NFA weapon, it no longer fell under the AWB.

P226
November 6, 2003, 12:00 AM
" I thought that once you made it an NFA weapon, it no longer fell under the AWB."

It still has to follow the AWB,but as a NFA weapon it does't have to
follow the import parts rule of the 1989 ban.I am waiting for a form
1 to be approved for a SW-5( i know),but i have been ordering hk parts
to swap out once it is approved.I will only be using the SW-5 receiver.
I even have a MP-5 three lug barrel since the AWB says no threads
the lugs are allowed(still no suppressor until next year i hope)

Hkmp5sd
November 6, 2003, 07:21 AM
Depending on what you are trying to make, you can buy a SW-5 new stripped receiver or one of the SP-89 clones they make and register it as an AOW and put a vertical foregrip on it. IIRC, AOWs are not covered by the AW ban, so you can add threaded barrels and suppressors to them.

If you enjoyed reading about "SBR'ing semi-auto rifles...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!