.40sw loads with W231

PDA

High-pockets88
October 26, 2009, 11:34 PM
In the .40sw does 5.6 grains of Win 231 fill the case and make it a near compression load with xtp 155's?

If you enjoyed reading about ".40sw loads with W231" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Shoney
October 27, 2009, 12:54 AM
High-pockets88

WELCOME TO THR!!!

I have used a 6.0 gr load of 231 in a WW case with a 155 gr XTP, and that is not a compressed load.

Good Shooting

High-pockets88
October 28, 2009, 11:33 AM
THANKS... THANKS --- I nearly made a real bad mistake. Something just didn't look right when I loaded a sample 15 rounds. Cases were way to full for "common sense". I posted this question and then began some double checking... I had set the scale wrong. I destroyed these cartridges... and did another ten. Better to loose a few reloads than mess up a gun.

I triple checked the scale against known weights this time. I want to start with 5.6 grains. Now a "visual" (I use a good light) show cases are "about" half full.

I am not an expert (I follow the books carefully) and this web site is new to me BUT I can't thank those behind this enough.

High-pockets88
October 28, 2009, 11:37 AM
THANKS... THANKS --- I nearly made a real bad mistake. Something just didn't look right when I loaded a sample 15 rounds. Cases were way to full for "common sense". I posted this question and then began some double checking... I had set the scale wrong. I destroyed these cartridges... and did another ten. Better to loose a few reloads than mess up a gun.

I triple checked the scale against known weights this time. I want to start with 5.6 grains. Now a "visual" (I use a good light) show cases are "about" half full.

I am not an expert (I follow the books carefully) and this web site is new to me BUT I can't thank those behind this enough.

jfh
October 28, 2009, 12:00 PM
High-pockets88: If you are not yet aware of it, there is a Hodgdon (i.e., the owners now of Winchester powders) data reloading center. You can easily download the data for .40 S&W and 231 powder.

I just checked it, and I see that a 155 XTP over 231 in a .40 S&W case has a MAX load of 6.0 gr. So, your start point of 5.6 gr. is just about optimal. Hodgdon shows that MAX at a LOA of 1.125"--so, also check your LOAs; .40 S&W is touchy about pressure.

Here (http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp) is the link to the Hodgdon Data portal, if you don't have it yet.

added on edit: when you say you 'destroyed those cartridges,' I presume you mean you took them apart using a bullet-puller inertial hammer. If you don't have one of those yet, get one.

Jim H.

High-pockets88
October 29, 2009, 12:00 AM
thanks jfh -- the web site was what I needed. I do need to get an "inertia puller" - will look one up from MidWay on my next order...

If you enjoyed reading about ".40sw loads with W231" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!