Lee Hand Press

PDA

TenDriver
October 27, 2009, 03:44 PM
I know you all have heard this question before, but aside from the actual press, what other supplies will I need to get started? (other than the obvious brass, dies, bullets, primers and powder).

Seems as though I may be hitting the unemployment line soon, and I'd like to get started before that happens. Otherwise I'll be at the range with my 22s while my 44 and 270 stay in the closet.

Thanks in advance!

If you enjoyed reading about "Lee Hand Press" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ants
October 27, 2009, 03:54 PM
Get some books on reloading. They will tell you the minimal equipment you need to start.

We can list all the equipment you can buy, but from the books you'll get a better idea of what you need.

jcwit
October 27, 2009, 04:05 PM
Midway has a kit on sale during the month of Nov. that has everything needed expept the dies, reloading manual, and components. Cost $80.00. From that you can upgrade as you wish or can afford to.

slabsides45
October 27, 2009, 04:55 PM
Who makes the kit, and is it pretty good/durable? Thinking of getting into reloading for rifle, and my Dillon Square Deal B only does pistols...

kludge
October 27, 2009, 05:07 PM
http://www.natchezss.com/brand.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=LE&prodID=LEE90030&prodTitle=Lee%20Breech%20Lock%20Challenger%20Press%20Kit

I would spend the few extra bucks and get ^^this^^ kit it gives you a AutoPrime so you can prime by hand instead of on the press, and you get the complete shell holder kit for the priming tool.

But, hey, if you don't mind priming on the press...

jcwit
October 27, 2009, 06:06 PM
Same kit as what kludge recommends at Midway, $80.00. Google up Midway Nov. Flyer.

Mfg. by Lee.

chris in va
October 27, 2009, 06:45 PM
I bought the Hand Press Kit off Ebay for about $40. Comes with the press, sizing lube, powder funnel and Ram Prime.

I then bought a Lyman #49 manual, read up on the procedure...asked around on the boards and bought:

Old Redding beam scale for $25
Used kinetic bullet puller for $7
4pc 9mm die set on sale for $36
9mm tray
Electronic calipers off Ebay for $12

That got me going, works quite well actually. They don't call it the ThighMaster for nothing though. Reloading is very addictive and when you can't set the sucker down for 4 hours straight, things start to hurt!

But...you can do this while watching a movie.

RoostRider
October 27, 2009, 07:14 PM
Hmmmm..... yeah, you should get the reloading book(s) first and then determine what you need....

And no, I wouldn't personally reload while watching a movie..... re-prime? sure... but not something that I feel needs as much attention as reloading does.... I'm sure some people can pull it off, but I'm not willing to risk it (the risk being squibs or double charges)

jcwit
October 27, 2009, 07:37 PM
While I don't reload while I watch a movie or any other television for that matter, I'm sure some people can pull it off, but I'm not willing to risk it (the risk being squibs or double charges)

Always, always load in batches placing charged cases in a loading block, then checking with a flashlight for a load in each case. Very easily and quickly done.

Chanch for squibs and dbl. charges goes to nil.

Noveldoc
October 27, 2009, 07:42 PM
Load on a turret press. I learned to glance and check the charge on each case that goes through die #2.

Tom

TEDDY
October 27, 2009, 09:11 PM
I do believe you are better of with the Lee cast turret press.it will single stage and also auto advance.it is much sturdier than the others and the lee or hornady LNL means new adapters that cost as much as a lee turret.and it wont cost near as much as other brands.I have gone from hand presses to turret.as the hand press was about all there was when I started in 1937.
:rolleyes: :uhoh:

gearheadpyro
October 27, 2009, 09:28 PM
Check this page out http://www.rifles-shooting-reloading.com/reloading-equipment.html. Some of the links on this site don't work yet (I'm working on that), but what is there could help you out. More info is never bad.

rfwobbly
October 27, 2009, 10:30 PM
Sorry to hear about your predicament, brother.

Sure....

Requirements...
Reloading dies
Shell holder (if not built into the press)
Priming tool (if not built into the press)
Reloading press
Reloading manual
Calipers (physical measurement)
Powder scale (powder measurement)
Powder dispenser

And of course...
Empty cases
Powder
Bullets
Primers

Then there are some accessories that make things easier....
More reloading manuals
Primer trays (for loading the primer tool)
Kinetic hammer (for removing bullets)
Case storage trays & bins
Ammo storage cases
Case lube
Case lube pad
Tumbler & media
Case trimmers (usually for bottle-neck rifle only)
Sturdy bench
Comfy chair or stool
Dedicated reloading area
Shelves
Filing cabinet
Universal de-capper die
0-1" Micrometer
Chronograph
2009 Dillon calendar

Some people will argue that the Dillon calendar is a requirement. :D

Hope this helps!

geo57
October 28, 2009, 12:47 PM
If you have a reasonable amount of spare time and plan on reloading 1000 rounds per year or less and / or a 100 rounds or so a session or less, you can get by nicely with the Lee hand press. I've had mine for over 20 years and it has served me well. I have no idea on how many thousands of rounds it has chucked out for me, up to and including 45-70 . I had a bench mounted " C " press too years ago, and the hand press is just as fast for me and my applications. If your needs or spare time amount warrants a faster system, then that is what you should go to. Other bare essentials you must have are dies and common tools to adjust them, shellholder heads, a priming device ( I use a Lee ram prime ), proven reloading data, a powder funnel , a scale, patience, and an appreciation for detail. Load safely, enjoy, and best of luck.

kludge
October 28, 2009, 01:26 PM
Same kit as what kludge recommends at Midway, $80.00. Google up Midway Nov. Flyer.

Mfg. by Lee.

No, it's not the same kit, that's why I mentioned it.

The kit on sale at Midway does not have the Auto Prime or the shell holder kit. If you can live with priming on the press, then save the money and get the $80 kit. That kit is $84 every day at Natchez, and Natchez will probably charge you less for shipping too.

jcwit
October 28, 2009, 03:04 PM
You're right, missed the auto prime addition Lee Part # from Natchez is 90030--Lee Part # from Midway is 90050.

If you enjoyed reading about "Lee Hand Press" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!