Tx CHL Test: Laser attatchment allowed?

PDA

1987rx7guy
October 27, 2009, 11:32 PM
Does anyone know if it is allowed to use a laser on your handgun during the shooting test?

If you enjoyed reading about "Tx CHL Test: Laser attatchment allowed?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Quoheleth
October 27, 2009, 11:34 PM
Texaschlforum.com
Ask there.
Or, better yet, call the instructor who will teach your class.

Q

Double Naught Spy
October 27, 2009, 11:40 PM
They certainly used to be. I have seen them used in a class before. I know of no regulation against using them.

glock36
October 27, 2009, 11:47 PM
I really don't know the answer to that but if I were you I would be quite proficient with the sights just incase your battery goes dead when shtf if you know what I mean. I know here in Missiouri the did not have a problem with lasers being used.
Good luck getting your CHL and God Speed

1987rx7guy
October 28, 2009, 12:03 AM
I've never used a laser on my firearms. I was wondering just in case it would give me a better score. I know the Tx test is pretty much cake but all the help I can get wouldn't be a bad thing.

fireflyfather
October 28, 2009, 12:12 AM
If you are planning to use it to get a better score, then you had better practice with it beforehand. In and of itself, it's a great training tool (for detecting flinch, perfecting trigger pull, trigger finger placement, etc).

You also want to make sure that it it zero'd in at the distance you will be doing most of your shooting at, and understand how the zero changes based on distance (probably won't make a great deal of difference for SD shooting at SD ranges, but don't depend on a laser for bullseye work without understanding the offset for height and windage).

longtooth
October 28, 2009, 12:16 AM
There is no state prohibition on them. Only up to the instructor.
Score does not count anything except for your bragging rights. It is pass or fail that goes to Austin. They dont know a 250 from a 175 or anything in between.

MudPuppy
October 28, 2009, 12:39 AM
You could be blind and pass the test--you don't need a laser. :)

The class is as much about you as it is your score--being overly focused about the score beyond being safe and coming across as Rambo with a laser sight may not be the best route, imho.

fireflyfather
October 28, 2009, 06:47 PM
Mudpuppy: There's nothing rambo about a laser sight in and of itself. A class focused on getting a carry license is probably not an unusual place to find a defensive firearm with a laser sight, particularly as common as crimson trace grips are these days. Rambo/mall ninja would be an AR-15 pistol with a tactical light, beta mag, laser sight, ACOG and forward pistol grip.

walker944
October 28, 2009, 06:54 PM
Had a guy in the class I took last year that used a laser on his Taurus 1911. I out shot him with my Baby Eagle...open sights (shorter barrel). :)

Ed Ames
October 28, 2009, 09:11 PM
There was a guy at my class with a Glock in .45 GAP w/ a laser... he, I kid you not, put a hole in my target. He was hitting anywhere in a 30" (radius) circle around the center of the target. He passed.

fireflyfather
October 29, 2009, 02:51 PM
Of course there are going to be idiots who substitute tools for skills. Having said that, I've had plenty of folks put holes in my target with scopes, iron sights, and what was probably blind fire (severe flinching/jerking with eyes closed). Lots of new shooters do dumb things. That's not the fault of the tool. (isn't that a major argument against gun control?)

Ed Ames
October 29, 2009, 06:35 PM
True enough. It still amazes me though.

Double Naught Spy
October 29, 2009, 07:50 PM
I have taken the CHL test 3 times now and helped stand in behind the line as a RSO for another 5 or 6 classes. I have seen people shoot the floor and missing the target that was just 3 yards distant. I have seen 54 holes in one target and as few as 38 in another (the whole paper, not just the scoring area). At least 4 times I have witnessed people slicing open their thumbs via a wrong double thumb wrap over the backstrap with a semi-auto. I have seen people show up with the wrong caliber ammo and have to buy the correct ammo during the lunch break. All of the people either passed or passed on subsequent testing.

A goodly portion of our CHL family are not skilled. Regardless of the gizmos and gadgetry, they don't necessarily practice, have ninja-like situational awareness, and most don't even carry every day.

If you enjoyed reading about "Tx CHL Test: Laser attatchment allowed?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!