What are USAC plastic cartridge cases?

PDA

G.A.Pster
October 29, 2009, 11:07 PM
I got these weird bullets thrown in with some other stuff I bought at a garage sale.

They’re a strange shape and they seem pretty crudely made.

On the top of the box it says, “used only in USAC plastic cartridge case” :confused:
And on the side of the box it says“38 caliber .357, 148 grain full metal jacketed wadcutter”

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/1917/picture522.jpg

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/5448/bullg.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "What are USAC plastic cartridge cases?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
skipsan
October 29, 2009, 11:29 PM
I used to buy plastic cased .38spcl ammo at the local hardware store when there were such things. The only reason for buying it was price. I remember also, there being a hand-held reloader available for depriming/priming and snapping the new bullet into the loaded case. I think powder was loaded with some kind of measuring spoon. Never got into the reloading, but the ammo worked just fine. I saved the cases for a while, but they disappeared into the garage rubble.

Jim Watson
October 29, 2009, 11:55 PM
I have a few rounds of loaded ammo and some empties. The case is plastic with a metal head and rim. Those funky looking bullets were to be loaded with the reduced diameter shank in the plastic case, with a ridge in the plastic snapping into the groove in the bullet to serve in place of a crimp. An interesting gimmick that went nowhere. Shares of stock in USAC were selling for 25 cents before the company folded completely.

ReloaderFred
October 30, 2009, 01:49 AM
I remember those. I thought at the time that it was taking the idea of a heeled bullet to the extreme. I have a couple cases left from when I used to find them out in the desert.

Fred

G.A.Pster
October 30, 2009, 03:37 PM
Interesting, could you reuse the cases or did they split after firing?

Did they make any other calibers or just 38?

ReloaderFred
October 30, 2009, 07:13 PM
They were supposed to be reloadable, but I never tried it. The only caliber I ever saw was .38 Special.

Hope this helps.

Fred

If you enjoyed reading about "What are USAC plastic cartridge cases?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!